Project HIGH ROLLER aka pepper 2.0 - Page 33 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project HIGH ROLLER aka pepper 2.0

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 06-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #481
A_Ninja_Racer

Man your jeep looks awesome and it has definitely come a long way. I do however find myself interested in your Tow rig. is that truck rocking the 3.9 liter and if so how does it do with Fuel mileage and performance when you are towing the trailer and jeep. Also when towing what speed are you cruising at?

A_Ninja_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 02:20 AM   #482
aircruiser
gravity sucks

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleZJ View Post
lookin good dude. I'm dying to get my jeep back so I can start driving it again, and as funds allow do more work on it so I can wheel it.
Thanks man yea I am moving soon so saving up for that, I know what you mean I want to drive mine on the street for the hell of it soon haha. Havent seen any updates in your thread lately

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ninja_Racer View Post
Man your jeep looks awesome and it has definitely come a long way. I do however find myself interested in your Tow rig. is that truck rocking the 3.9 liter and if so how does it do with Fuel mileage and performance when you are towing the trailer and jeep. Also when towing what speed are you cruising at?
Thanks man, truck has a 4.7 HO V8 in it with some mods. It gets around 18mpg daily (freeway to work and back) and towing gets 11mpg which is ok since I was expecting 6mpg with it lol. I keep it out of over drive and cruise around 65-70mph, at about 2500rpm. Its about 2200rpm at 65, 2500 at 70. I bought it just to haul stuff in the bed and eventually sell it and get a 3/4 ton diesel but its hauling well enough I think I might keep it and pay it off (end of this year) and then look at a diesel.

Performance wise it likes the higher revs, low end torque is ok, it takes awhile to get up to speed hauling but for a basically half ton truck it does alright. On the freeway it will only downshift going up a constant steepish grade other than that small hills it does just fine and stays in the same gear. My trailer is about 800-1klbs and with the jeep on it I am guessing somewhere around 5klbs(?) and I think max tow rating for the truck is 6500lbs.
aircruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #483
A_Ninja_Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
Thanks man, truck has a 4.7 HO V8 in it with some mods. It gets around 18mpg daily (freeway to work and back) and towing gets 11mpg which is ok since I was expecting 6mpg with it lol. I keep it out of over drive and cruise around 65-70mph, at about 2500rpm. Its about 2200rpm at 65, 2500 at 70. I bought it just to haul stuff in the bed and eventually sell it and get a 3/4 ton diesel but its hauling well enough I think I might keep it and pay it off (end of this year) and then look at a diesel.

Performance wise it likes the higher revs, low end torque is ok, it takes awhile to get up to speed hauling but for a basically half ton truck it does alright. On the freeway it will only downshift going up a constant steepish grade other than that small hills it does just fine and stays in the same gear. My trailer is about 800-1klbs and with the jeep on it I am guessing somewhere around 5klbs(?) and I think max tow rating for the truck is 6500lbs.
I kind of Figured it had to have a V8. I borrowed a buddy's 4x2 single Cab Ram with a 3.9 liter in it and ran it from Florida to Tennessee empty so I was running 80 mph where ever I could. It got horrible gas mileage I don't remember the #'s but I was not impressed at all. on they way back a had Honda VTX stuffed into the bed of the truck and on the way home I drove much more sensible cause my new Baby was back up in there. I actually got better gas mileage on the way home. While I was grateful to have been able to use it I was not impressed with the 3.9 in that full sized truck.

I now have a Toyota Tacoma with the 4.0 liter V6 that I use to tow my same VTX around in a 6x12 enclosed trailer. It gets pretty crappy gas mileage pulling that trailer even when its empty because that Flat nosed trailer is like pulling a brick wall around. I haven't found the right jeep for me yet but I have been wanting one for a long time now. My plan also was to not keep it street legal and tow it around everywhere with the Tacoma. My Taco has the Same Tow rating as your truck but I bet having that V8 makes towing a much more enjoyable experience. I did pull a friends YJ around town with a Car dolly a few months back but it was missing the Motor and Trans.
A_Ninja_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #484
aircruiser
gravity sucks

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Gotcha yeah I heard people say that those 4.0 V6s actually tow pretty decent for a V6. Im sure a lot of people will tell you otherwise but long as your trucks got trailer brakes I wouldn't see a problem with it. You aren't hurting anybody if it takes awhile to get up to speed and I am not sure what your wheelbase is on that truck but mine is as much as a fullsize truck since its a quad cab so im not worried about trailer sway. Only thing I need now are some air bags, I got coil overs but it still feels a little bouncy when towing and that's with the jeep on the trailer right. I did let my buddy borrow my trailer to tow home his zj with his taco with a V6 and he said it was less than ideal but it got the job done. I have no complaints towing with my truck, the V8 helps a lot if I need to, I can accelerate just as fast as traffic loaded down but I like to make the truck work as little as possible so I keep up with traffic when towing around town but let the d-bags that floor it from every light have the left lane. On the freeway I usually just sit in the right lane and cruise at 65 and it cruises along just fine I barely have to touch the gas.

I didnt even know they put the 3.9s in rams, damn I bet that thing could barely get out of its own way! When I was looking at buying a truck, V6 was not an option since I knew I would be hauling and I just love the roar of a healthy V8. I test drove a 3.9 dak because it was in mint shape with low miles, took it around the block and tossed the guy the keys back. It was a dog. I ended up with the truck I got cause the guy babied the hell out of it, oil changes every 3k, all fluids flushed, he knew dodges rep with trannys so he had the tranny pulled at 140k and a transgo shift kit put in (truck now has 160k I bought it at 145k) and it felt like it had twice the power as all the other 4.7 daks I drove. I can punch it and it will spin the tires through 2nd, I love it! I almost bought an 01 Dakota back in the day with a 5.9 V8 in it but due to other issues the deal fell through, but my current truck feels just as powerful. Not sure what it is if its the mods I have done but I can keep up with my friends 5.9 ZJ off the line and at a freeway pull we are dead even.
Unread 06-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #485
aircruiser
gravity sucks

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Almost ready for bedliner, I will be throwing a coat on tonight and then another in the morning

Put in my sport gauge cluster I got from koolaid5, now I feel better being able to read the gauges. Not sure why the idiot light didnt go off before but its saying im at over 80psi so I guess sending unit is next on the maintenance list

Jeep is finally all one color too, the color matched pretty good. You can still tell but not to bad

And tacked my rear fender together, gonna have my welding buddy actually weld it since I am to chicken to weld where people see it lol

Unread 06-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #486
ibjeepin95
Your Jeep sucks...

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Almost ready for bedliner, I will be throwing a coat on tonight and then another in the morning

Put in my sport gauge cluster I got from koolaid5, now I feel better being able to read the gauges. Not sure why the idiot light didnt go off before but its saying im at over 80psi so I guess sending unit is next on the maintenance list

Jeep is finally all one color too, the color matched pretty good. You can still tell but not to bad

And tacked my rear fender together, gonna have my welding buddy actually weld it since I am to chicken to weld where people see it lol

Looks good man. I especially dig the 36's. Those may be my next tires, though I'm scared that once I go 4.88's the 30 won't last long lol.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #487
aircruiser
gravity sucks

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks man I am worried about the 30, I haven't decided yet before the crawl if I want to do chromolys or not. I have been trying to track down some stock shafts to throw 760x and AA tabs on but they go for gold around here, probably 1/2 price of a chromoly and might as well do chromolys then. My worry is the locker since that and the ring and pinion would be my weak point then. I am trying to find a 44/9" combo for a good price then these axles are going in the black one. But 36s are bad ***! My boss runs 36" Iroks on his XJ locked F/R with a 30/8.8 and no troubles yet. Hes had it all over moab and was in dresser romping on it memorial day weekend. Didn't break nothing. But I am light on the throttle usually so hopefully I can save the 30 haha

Quick question, anyone know if you can run a mini spool in a LSD carrier? I got the factory LSD in my 8.8 and putting a mini spool in but idk if I need a new carrier or not.

TIA
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #488
aircruiser
gravity sucks

1996 XJ Cherokee 

All in a days work, bedliner is in, cant really see the patches with the liner on, we will see how it looks tomorrow when its dry. I did seam sealer on all the panels and underneath

Unread 06-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #489
aircruiser
gravity sucks

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Bedliner was still tacky this afternoon so I brought my parents down to help me get it out. Mom reached through the window and turned the wheel while dad walked along with a block of 4x4 to try and stop it if it rolled into my truck and I pulled it out with my truck. Before I did that I put on the headlight bezels, obviously will get cut but passenger header panel has a broke screw so I gotta drill that out. I also bumped up the rear end a lil.

After getting the jeep out I took mom and dad through the shop and gave them a tour since they had never been out there and they were in awe of all of the stuff we do. Dad has a ram and they have a camper they go camping with and they were thinking about getting a new durango and smaller camper but now they want to just sell the truck and camper and get a JK. on the drive home dad made me stop by the jeep dealership and he fell in love.

This was also there

They didnt get the JK but they are looking hard as we speak. They cant sell it before july since were using the camper for the crawl 4 the cure and they dont want to tent so we will see. I have been looking alot at getting a diesel truck and if they sell the camper and truck I was telling them my plans for getting a gooseneck and putting a camper on it and the jeep behind it but sounds like they are serious about wanting to wheel the jk (easy ofcourse) but still, I found this on a local forum for $10k

Anyways, enough day dreaming, gonna try to get the seats in the jeep tomorrow. Stay tuned
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:08 AM   #490
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You did a damn nice job on that paint man. Looking good.
00 XJ Sport "Wannabe Desert Rat"(August 2012-Present) 4.0L - 160k Body, Monstalined Menace, ATK+ Longblock, 6.5" IRO Short Arm Lift, LMP Front Bumper, Bushwacker Flat Flares, Clayton DS Track Bar, ZJ V8 Steering, Quick Discos, Bilstein 5100s, IRO HnT SYE, Braided SS Brake Lines, 1" TC Drop, HiLift, #784 Injectors, Flowmaster Super 44, 33" BFGoodrich A/T on Outlaw IIs, Safari Snorkel, Autopal Harness + 80/100w H4 Bulbs

Blue Waffle Build Thread
Built Not Bought #704

Past Jeeps:
93 ZJ Laredo(Jan 2011-April 2011) 5.2L - 98k, Stock - Totaled
96 ZJ Laredo(April 2011-August 2012) 4.0L - 138k, Cowl Intake, Rancho 9000 Series, 2" Spacers, 31" Baja MT Widetracks - Sold

Monstaliner: http://monstaliner.com/
Iron Rock Offroad: http://ironrockoffroad.com/
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #491
ibjeepin95
Your Jeep sucks...

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Quick question, anyone know if you can run a mini spool in a LSD carrier? I got the factory LSD in my 8.8 and putting a mini spool in but idk if I need a new carrier or not.

TIA
Pretty sure you can't with an LSD carrier...
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #492
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

TIA
No dice, lunchbox's and mini spools only work in an open 8.8 carrier. You can double pack the clutches to make it a little better, but you're better off going to a full carrier setup like a Detroit as the stock one is a known weak point in 8.8's, especially the LSD ones.
99XJ 4.0/AW4/HP30/8.25 build coming soon...
www.undergroundjeeps.net
CTeunuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #493
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Could you just weld the LSD? It's the same as a spool at that point and out of the 3 diffs I've welded all with just a flux core welder none have broken yet so id say close to the strength of a spool

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #494
aircruiser
gravity sucks

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post

You did a damn nice job on that paint man. Looking good.
Thanks mang! It came out way better than I thought it would. Good enough I am considering trying to find the same pin stripe to continue on but doubt that will happen lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
Pretty sure you can't with an LSD carrier...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTeunuch View Post
No dice, lunchbox's and mini spools only work in an open 8.8 carrier. You can double pack the clutches to make it a little better, but you're better off going to a full carrier setup like a Detroit as the stock one is a known weak point in 8.8's, especially the LSD ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahar9 View Post
Could you just weld the LSD? It's the same as a spool at that point and out of the 3 diffs I've welded all with just a flux core welder none have broken yet so id say close to the strength of a spool

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Damn, oh well I hope someone local has an open carrier. I already got a mini spool I am throwing in which is why I asked, thats all thats holding me back right now. Once I find an open carrier the 8.8 gets geared and thrown together. Just gotta buy all the brake parts.

I would weld it but I got the mini spool so hopefully it will do for now.

Bumper came today as well. Just gotta finish bending back the crash damage and it will get mocked up so I can make my turn signal mounts
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:19 AM   #495
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Thanks mang! It came out way better than I thought it would. Good enough I am considering trying to find the same pin stripe to continue on but doubt that will happen lol
What pinstripe is it? You could always get the same size pinstripe in whatever color and go over the old stuff too.
00 XJ Sport "Wannabe Desert Rat"(August 2012-Present) 4.0L - 160k Body, Monstalined Menace, ATK+ Longblock, 6.5" IRO Short Arm Lift, LMP Front Bumper, Bushwacker Flat Flares, Clayton DS Track Bar, ZJ V8 Steering, Quick Discos, Bilstein 5100s, IRO HnT SYE, Braided SS Brake Lines, 1" TC Drop, HiLift, #784 Injectors, Flowmaster Super 44, 33" BFGoodrich A/T on Outlaw IIs, Safari Snorkel, Autopal Harness + 80/100w H4 Bulbs

Blue Waffle Build Thread
Built Not Bought #704

Past Jeeps:
93 ZJ Laredo(Jan 2011-April 2011) 5.2L - 98k, Stock - Totaled
96 ZJ Laredo(April 2011-August 2012) 4.0L - 138k, Cowl Intake, Rancho 9000 Series, 2" Spacers, 31" Baja MT Widetracks - Sold

Monstaliner: http://monstaliner.com/
Iron Rock Offroad: http://ironrockoffroad.com/
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.