Project: Ground up - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project: Ground up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 04-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #76
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ok so after a lot of consideration and some research, I've decided to suck it up and get the Body Soldering Kit from Eastwood Tool. I have always felt that Bondo has it's place, but there is nothing like seeing an old Custom Merc or Caddy, or an old Hot Rod that could be left in bare metal, and still go toe to toe with any car with a trick paint job. Bondo to me has always felt like I was cheating.

Here is a few examples close to what I'm talking about:

36fivewindowbaremetalrh03-vi.jpg   1941plymouth.jpg  

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #77
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Bondo gets a bad name bud. Bondo is sold by auto zone and Walmart. Two places I would never buy materials to refinish a Auto of anykind. There are state-of-the-art compounds in the new Poly fillers out there that when used properly have great results. A body soldering kit is nice but, really overkill for what you are trying to achieve. Get some nice Platinum body filler made by 3M or Norton. It sands very nice with 80 grit paper and can be primed and painted over with just about anything.

Fwiw the soldering kit is just a waste of money. Remember your not building a 150k street rod. Like pictured above.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #78
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Bondo gets a bad name bud. Bondo is sold by auto zone and Walmart. Two places I would never buy materials to refinish a Auto of anykind. There are state-of-the-art compounds in the new Poly fillers out there that when used properly have great results. A body soldering kit is nice but, really overkill for what you are trying to achieve. Get some nice Platinum body filler made by 3M or Norton. It sands very nice with 80 grit paper and can be primed and painted over with just about anything.

Fwiw the soldering kit is just a waste of money. Remember your not building a 150k street rod. Like pictured above.
I guess I was using "Bondo" as general term, and there is a lot of places I will end up using it, but the floor of the bed, right at the back where it will see the most use, isn't really a place I feel comfortable using it. Yeah I plan on using a spray in bedliner, but I'm expecting right there to see a lot of use, and it's one of those places that I can see the floor getting dented, and body filler cracking, then causing issues with the bed liner.

Part of the reason I want to try the body solder is my Dad. This is the first, and possibly only time I'm going to get to work on one of my big projects, let alone something that he can remotely relate to. Lead work is something he never got into, be it because he is his own worst critic and didn't think he would be any good at it, or maybe he never really had the oprtunity, you know with all that "lead poisoning" hoopla a few years back, or he just liked body filler, I don't know but I think doing the "lead" work with him would be a great experiance, for both of us. Some of his biggest idles created the term "Lead Sled", I want him to see that he is just as good as they are, or at very least, he's raised a son who isn't afraid to dive into the same kind of work that they did. For that, the cost isn't a factor.

Quote:
Penis inches...
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #79
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, so I ended up getting a leading kit not a body soldering kit, lead was cheeper.

Here is what the bed looks like right now, yes I did go crazy with the welder at the seam, it was one of those nights where I really needed to just call it quits and pick it up in the morning, but was too stubborn to.

The plug welds across the very back and the tacks that you see further in are from the section of floor that I doubled up with the floor I sectioned out, and the original rear cross member. I will take a pic from the underside when I get a chance.

Here is everything I got with the leading kit:

Contents left to right:
Body file half round
Body file flat
2 Flat paddles(bottom)
1 Half-round paddle(top)
1-lb Tinning butter
Acid brushes
10- 1/4lb sticks of lead solder
1-lb. Tallow
There is also an instructional DVD not pictured

Quote:
Penis inches...
Unread 04-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #80
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I'm really excited to see the leading. Take a bunch of pictures if you can manage it?

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #81
NYGLT56
Your Local Body Builder
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan View Post
Block and head just got back from being thermo blasted today, stripped the entire thing down to the bare cast iron.

Is that a 427 I see in flat black in the background?
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #82
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGLT56 View Post
Is that a 427 I see in flat black in the background?
The school has a kit car class and thats there project car, nothing special just a black gel coat finish and the stock running gear out of a Fox body mustang. It will never see anything outside of the school.

Quote:
Penis inches...
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #83
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

rod this is unacceptable, i need more pictures.

Unread 05-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #84
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
rod this is unacceptable, i need more pictures.
Sorry guys been busy with school finals, and work. I'm getting promoted to be the Assistant Manager of a new store we have opening June 15th. So I've been really buisy with the extra hours at work to get me up to speed, classes at corporate, and since there still hasn't been a manager hired, going around making sales calls to all the shops in the area letting them know we are opening, and making introductions, since I will be one of the guys handling their sales.

I am going to try to head up Wednesday after work and work on the truck all day Thursday, and a few hours Friday morning before I have to head back to work that night. I'm going to try leading the bed, so I hope to have lots of pics for you Friday night.

Quote:
Penis inches...
Unread 05-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #85
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Throwing lead is a lost art , I think its awesome that you and your pop are going to give it a try .
Unread 07-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #86
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ok guys sorry for the lack of updates, life has been busy as hell for me as of late. I have been working a lot lately, we opened a new store on the north side of town, and I was chosen to be the assistant manager and in charge of the commercial sale for the store. Needless to say, things have not gone as planned. At the time we opened the store I had more time in the company than every person there, combined, including the manager. The store that was going to be such a big opportunity for me went to hell because the manager they hired, just doesn't know what he's doing, and doesn't want to ask me how to do it. So instead of running the commercial side, I've been closing the store and doing the best damage control I can when I get there. Needless to say the new guy is going down in flames, and I've been told by several managers to be ready to take the store when he fails.

Other than that, no progress has been made on the MJ since this spring I hope to get back on this thing as soon as things calm down a bit here at the store, good news it anyway this goes, I'll be making more money.

Quote:
Penis inches...
Unread 09-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #87
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Alright finally got pics of the relocated crossmember and doubled up floor pan.

Here is what it started at

Spent some time grinding down the welds from last time, now that I wasn't feeling so impatent it didn't go so bad.

A mid-leading pic

This is about as close as I'm going to try to get it with lead, I might finish it with some body filler or even a high built primer, and then bed line the whole thing. It is a lot harder than it looks, especially without someone to tell you what you are doing wrong.

Where I left off

And this is a big reason why I didn't get nearly as much as I wanted done, my Dads 61 Chevy Impala. It had recently been rebuilt with a flat tappet cam. My dad isn't the most mechanically attentive person, and managed to wipe out 12 of the 16 cam lobes. With all that metal floating around in the oil, it nearly seized all the wrist pins, broke a piston skirt, trashed all the bearings, and scared the crank..... Moral of the story is, if you have a flat tappet cam, use oil with zinc in it! So after a fresh rebuild with a roller cam, and an Edlebrock Performer RPM intake manifold, the engine went back in yesterday.

Quote:
Penis inches...
Unread 01-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #88
4x4Mudmonster
1985 CJ7 

I love MJs. I've been looking for one around my area, but all the ones I find are all rotted. This things gonna be sweet, I'll be watching this for sure!!!
Unread 01-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #89
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, project is taking a back seat for a little bit. Picked up a new DD about a month ago, and I've been trying to fix a few things and get it working solid before I switch back to the MJ.

Quote:
Penis inches...
Unread 01-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #90
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

i saw this thread pop up and i said to myself "sweet, progress" only to be let down. much sadness rod, much sadness.

Tags
4.7l stroker , 9" rear , back half , bobbed , comanche , custom , hanneman blister flares , hp44 , indyorv , manche , np231 hd hybrid case , propane injection , zone offroad mj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.