Flipped it over and sectioned the front, and welded both ends across the bottom. I had to cut the flange off of the backside of the forward most crossmember to make the cut where I wanted to, I'm not thrilled about that, but I'm going to go back with a 1x1 angle and plug weld the hell out of it to the back side of the forward crossmember and the front flange of the second.
I also ended up cutting a crossmember out when I sectioned the rear, I will go back and cut part of that floor section up with the crossmember as part of it, and weld it overlapping the rear seam, allowing me to double up the sheet metal there, as well as adding a crossmember under it for added strength. You can see I have done a similar thing to the bed sides also.
Wa La! The 5' box!
I will cut this raised section out and patch in a piece to make that I sectioned it less noticeable
Block is at the machinist this week, should have it back Thurs in time for class. I also ordered the new cam and lifters, decided to go with the Comp Cams 68-239-4 (Duration 262/270, Lift .493/.512). It might be a little on the radical side, but with the port work I've done, larger valves, and lighter rotating assembly(pistons,valves) we'll see how I like it, I know I love the way it sounds:
If nothing else a new milder cam is an easy enough swap.
As for the bed, I'm thinking about some 1x1" 1/8" angle to weld to the back side of the lip that the bedsides attach to across the bedrail. Then capping the bedrail with a piece of 3/16" plate. The 1/8" piece will give me something solid to weld to since I completely drilled out the original spot welds, as well as add a little more rigidity to the bed side, the 3/16" plate will add a lot more rigidity to it, as well as armor up the bed rail for when I end up rubbing up against a tree or rock.
Snapped a couple of pics yesterday when I had to run up to my Dads to pick up some stuff, just a couple of pics for comparison of a kind of before/after:
And a little bit of a mock up(as much as I could do without someone to hold the flare) of things to come.
I have the 25-27th off work, so I'm going to head back up for another run at it. I hope to get the patch work and overlapping patches welded up, as well as a couple more passes of tack welds done on the inside of the bed, and ground down. Then cut the bed sides down and tack them back together for test fit. I'm going to wait to weld them back on the bed, till I can take the section I cut out to my buddy and have him use it as a templet to bend up the bedside re-enforcements.
Spending the next couple days working on the truck again, making progress on the back seam but it's not going together the way I want it to. I am really trying to avoid using on the bed floor unless I absolutely have to, but using weld is proving difficult with the thin sheet metal. I'm looking into something OLD school, they used to use Lead as a body filler, now days they use a type of solder for obvious reasons. Only thing is the Solder kits start out at about $110 and go up from there, more than I want to spend considering I can get a gallon of the good Bondo for about 1/2 that. :/