Project Full Bolt-on Cherokar *Loads of pics* - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Full Bolt-on Cherokar *Loads of pics*

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
BoostHappy

Project Full Bolt-on Cherokar *Loads of pics*

Well figured it's time to start a build thread on my station wagon.

So a year ago now I picked up this stock 200k mile 97 Cherokee Sport that was rough running for $2,000

& to fix running rough issue I picked up this new cylinder head

Swap out wheels for steel TJ's & flipped tire. Shoe Creek get together

The very next day after the shoe Creek run I got my Fat Bobs garage 2in budget boost in (2in coil spacer with 2.5in short aal)
stock

2in boost

Later that week I picked up some Ecco wheels from Tural(becoming a wheel whore)

Then picked up BFG All-Terran's

And then about 3 months later I wanted more, so I picked up V8 ZJ coils, & 1.5-2in lift shackle. Also picked up New front YJ shocks & new rear F150 shocks

Testing out some 31's for a week

Flexing on new setup

Had a bit a Vibration issue since the 2in lift. So it got was with more lift. Picked up a SYE on the way & me & Tural got to installing.

Decided to got with 30x9.50 Hankook R03 MT's

At this point I'm noticing negative effect from the ****ty dreaded XJ shackle angle issue limiting rear flex completly. So I decided to purchase shackle relocation kit

I noticed on my drive main leaf spring it was worn dangerously bad, had about about a .050 groove worn into it from the lower leaf.

My Next step was to pick up a nice set of low mileage(60k) XJ leaves from Duval & rebuild those using Iron rock offroad 2.5in Add A Leaf.
As you can see pictured I flip the last over load leaf. This aids in a bit softer ride & allows better flex while still maintaining the over leaf intended job of preventing axle wrap & excessive sagging during overloaded cabin weight/towing

With this new shackle setup & leaf setup, it ended up with a rake stance, nearly 1in taller in rear. So I went with some new Iron Rock Offroad coils.

Current stance

I needed a better cb antenna as the one I had was prone to being knock off by trees. So I picked up a 4' Firestik I got to work on a homemade mount

Next step was going for a wider stance.. I needed wheels. A trip to PnS proved promising. Found some Wagon wheels with a 3.5in backspacing in a 00 XJ

1997 Forest Green Heep Cherokee 4.0 Sport - Daily Driver, 5in lift, IRO LA, shackle relocation, JCR S2 Sliders, 4.56's, Detroit trutrac Front, Spartan Locker Rear, 32x11.50's. - 2002 Onyx Green Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 Larado - Wife's daily, 242 Select-Trac, 4in Rough Country X-Flex lift, JK Sahara wheels 275x70x18
BoostHappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
BoostHappy

And I got to work on the new wheels, I wanted a desert tan look so I had the sand blasted then grabed some satin khaki paint

Picked up a ZJ pitman arm(1in drop) & 00 4.0 Intake from PnS

Intake swap

Picked up a D30 Detroit TruTrac & set of new 4.56 gears

Got the front gears installed finally

Picked up a new item. NP242 t-case, I plan to install this, so I can build me 231 doubler

My Headlights SUCK, and a wanted some driving lights. Well I had a spare 5000k digital HID kit laying around, so I picked a set of Blazer BAJA driving lights from Advance and modified them to work with the HIDs.
Also Figured while I was at it, I would do some bumper trimming when I install my lights.

Needed some front recovery points, and I really didnt like the hooks that hang below the bumper, So With the help of a friend we made d-ring recovery brackets to go through the front bumber.

rubberized undercoated them

Unread 07-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
BoostHappy

Still On stock short arm I wanted a better ride both on and off road, and better front articulation, I called up Ironrock and ordered the critical path longarm, and some Daystar Bump stops

I also Purchased a set of JCR S2 sliders and I sprayed them with Duplicolor BedArmor

When to the local pick and save and picked on a ZJ t-case skid and V8 Tie Rod

Also installed a ZJ transmission cooler

With the new long arm, The Jeep could use longer brake lines and shocks.
So I picked up some shock extenders till I order my 8000's

And Bought some GM 1500 brake lines

Discovered my 97 has the old style door hinges, I did the doorless mod with some 98 ZJ connectors

With my new mods, i figured it was time for new bigger tires, so I sold the hankooks and bought some 32x11.50 Sigma Mud Claws

To keep my new tires from eating my fenders and flares, with the help of the Daystar bump stops I decided to do a fair amount of trimming.

My stock exhaust manifold was cracked & the leak was annoying, so I bought a header.

A couple poser pics :stuart:

After a Trail run I realized my stock trackbar was binding when flexed, so I bought a IRO Double sheer to install

On the trail, I ended up breaking my Firestik internally.. Sux, So I bought a 4' Wilson Flex to replace it. So far I like it much more than the firestik, this thing is crazy flexible.

Also upgraded from my old Maxton CB, to a Cobra 29LX radio

Realize Id rather have all 4 wheels spining instead of just 3 so I bought a rear Spartan locker

Due to the run of extermly hot *** 100degree days. I decided to do so keep cool mods.
Starting with hood vents.

And Picked up a few other items to install this coming week from the pick n save
Taurus 3.8 Cooling fan, 136amp V8 alternator, and 93 ZJ door harnesses for my doorless mod(these are nicer than 96+ zj harness)
Unread 07-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
BoostHappy

Some trail pics
Some at my buddies property

Here are pictures from Wheelin 4 Hope at Oakridge this year

1997 Forest Green Heep Cherokee 4.0 Sport - Daily Driver, 5in lift, IRO LA, shackle relocation, JCR S2 Sliders, 4.56's, Detroit trutrac Front, Spartan Locker Rear, 32x11.50's. - 2002 Onyx Green Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 Larado - Wife's daily, 242 Select-Trac, 4in Rough Country X-Flex lift, JK Sahara wheels 275x70x18
Unread 12-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
TheBlueDevil
1997 XJ Cherokee 

This build is awesome. What was your time frame from beginning to end product?
TheBlueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2012, 12:49 AM   #6
MOBBiN
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Great build so far. What's next for your jeep?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.