Project Full Bolt-on Cherokar *Loads of pics* - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Full Bolt-on Cherokar *Loads of pics*

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
BoostHappy

Project Full Bolt-on Cherokar *Loads of pics*

Well figured it's time to start a build thread on my station wagon.

So a year ago now I picked up this stock 200k mile 97 Cherokee Sport that was rough running for $2,000

& to fix running rough issue I picked up this new cylinder head

Swap out wheels for steel TJ's & flipped tire. Shoe Creek get together

The very next day after the shoe Creek run I got my Fat Bobs garage 2in budget boost in (2in coil spacer with 2.5in short aal)
stock

2in boost

Later that week I picked up some Ecco wheels from Tural(becoming a wheel whore)

Then picked up BFG All-Terran's

And then about 3 months later I wanted more, so I picked up V8 ZJ coils, & 1.5-2in lift shackle. Also picked up New front YJ shocks & new rear F150 shocks

Testing out some 31's for a week

Flexing on new setup

Had a bit a Vibration issue since the 2in lift. So it got was with more lift. Picked up a SYE on the way & me & Tural got to installing.

Decided to got with 30x9.50 Hankook R03 MT's

At this point I'm noticing negative effect from the ****ty dreaded XJ shackle angle issue limiting rear flex completly. So I decided to purchase shackle relocation kit

I noticed on my drive main leaf spring it was worn dangerously bad, had about about a .050 groove worn into it from the lower leaf.

My Next step was to pick up a nice set of low mileage(60k) XJ leaves from Duval & rebuild those using Iron rock offroad 2.5in Add A Leaf.
As you can see pictured I flip the last over load leaf. This aids in a bit softer ride & allows better flex while still maintaining the over leaf intended job of preventing axle wrap & excessive sagging during overloaded cabin weight/towing

With this new shackle setup & leaf setup, it ended up with a rake stance, nearly 1in taller in rear. So I went with some new Iron Rock Offroad coils.

Current stance

I needed a better cb antenna as the one I had was prone to being knock off by trees. So I picked up a 4' Firestik I got to work on a homemade mount

Next step was going for a wider stance.. I needed wheels. A trip to PnS proved promising. Found some Wagon wheels with a 3.5in backspacing in a 00 XJ

1997 Forest Green Heep Cherokee 4.0 Sport - Daily Driver, 5in lift, IRO LA, shackle relocation, JCR S2 Sliders, 4.56's, Detroit trutrac Front, Spartan Locker Rear, 32x11.50's. - 2002 Onyx Green Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 Larado - Wife's daily, 242 Select-Trac, 4in Rough Country X-Flex lift, JK Sahara wheels 275x70x18
BoostHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
BoostHappy

And I got to work on the new wheels, I wanted a desert tan look so I had the sand blasted then grabed some satin khaki paint

Picked up a ZJ pitman arm(1in drop) & 00 4.0 Intake from PnS

Intake swap

Picked up a D30 Detroit TruTrac & set of new 4.56 gears

Got the front gears installed finally

Picked up a new item. NP242 t-case, I plan to install this, so I can build me 231 doubler

My Headlights SUCK, and a wanted some driving lights. Well I had a spare 5000k digital HID kit laying around, so I picked a set of Blazer BAJA driving lights from Advance and modified them to work with the HIDs.
Also Figured while I was at it, I would do some bumper trimming when I install my lights.

Needed some front recovery points, and I really didnt like the hooks that hang below the bumper, So With the help of a friend we made d-ring recovery brackets to go through the front bumber.

rubberized undercoated them

Unread 07-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
BoostHappy

Still On stock short arm I wanted a better ride both on and off road, and better front articulation, I called up Ironrock and ordered the critical path longarm, and some Daystar Bump stops

I also Purchased a set of JCR S2 sliders and I sprayed them with Duplicolor BedArmor

When to the local pick and save and picked on a ZJ t-case skid and V8 Tie Rod

Also installed a ZJ transmission cooler

With the new long arm, The Jeep could use longer brake lines and shocks.
So I picked up some shock extenders till I order my 8000's

And Bought some GM 1500 brake lines

Discovered my 97 has the old style door hinges, I did the doorless mod with some 98 ZJ connectors

With my new mods, i figured it was time for new bigger tires, so I sold the hankooks and bought some 32x11.50 Sigma Mud Claws

To keep my new tires from eating my fenders and flares, with the help of the Daystar bump stops I decided to do a fair amount of trimming.

My stock exhaust manifold was cracked & the leak was annoying, so I bought a header.

A couple poser pics :stuart:

After a Trail run I realized my stock trackbar was binding when flexed, so I bought a IRO Double sheer to install

On the trail, I ended up breaking my Firestik internally.. Sux, So I bought a 4' Wilson Flex to replace it. So far I like it much more than the firestik, this thing is crazy flexible.

Also upgraded from my old Maxton CB, to a Cobra 29LX radio

Realize Id rather have all 4 wheels spining instead of just 3 so I bought a rear Spartan locker

Due to the run of extermly hot *** 100degree days. I decided to do so keep cool mods.
Starting with hood vents.

And Picked up a few other items to install this coming week from the pick n save
Taurus 3.8 Cooling fan, 136amp V8 alternator, and 93 ZJ door harnesses for my doorless mod(these are nicer than 96+ zj harness)
Unread 07-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
BoostHappy

Some trail pics
Some at my buddies property

Here are pictures from Wheelin 4 Hope at Oakridge this year

1997 Forest Green Heep Cherokee 4.0 Sport - Daily Driver, 5in lift, IRO LA, shackle relocation, JCR S2 Sliders, 4.56's, Detroit trutrac Front, Spartan Locker Rear, 32x11.50's. - 2002 Onyx Green Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 Larado - Wife's daily, 242 Select-Trac, 4in Rough Country X-Flex lift, JK Sahara wheels 275x70x18
Unread 12-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
TheBlueDevil
1997 XJ Cherokee 

This build is awesome. What was your time frame from beginning to end product?
TheBlueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
MOBBiN

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Great build so far. What's next for your jeep?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.