Project DD, '95YJ - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project DD, '95YJ

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #31
Firemandan
1979 CJ7 

Well folks, been pretty busy with non-jeep things the past few days. I was at a medic class rotation tonight when my wife called and told me she found our dog of almost 10 years dead. Pretty torn about it, she was a great dog, she would ride with me in the CJ anytime I fired it up and she would lay near me while I worked on the jeep. As I tell my wife and what I try to teach our 6 year old son is, the world keeps turning, always remember the past but be willing and open for the new.

I guess I need to practice what I preach. In the morning I am planning on taking the seats and things out and start getting the inside ready for........I think I'm gonna go with monstaliner. I just need to get some work done on the YJ.

Firemandan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #32
deermjd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry to hear that. Hope you find some time to keep working on your jeep.
deermjd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #33
Firemandan
1979 CJ7 

Ok guys, still waiting on word from the engine department. So, I have the time to work on the body and other little things I want to get done. I was thinking I would take the full still doors off and get a few things done on those. I bet y'all can guess where this is going.........How in the world do you take the dang things off. The nut that is on the bottom of the pin is off, I've sprayed about a can of WD-40 on each pin and still nothing.
I'm not a small guy and I can hold my own but good lord those things are on there good. I'm gonna try again in the morning. I'm thinking i'm gonna use the 'Hot Wrench' on the things and see if that works.
Unread 04-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #34
MDCustom
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you can get a helper to 'tap' on the hinge/ hinge pin while you are lifting up on the door, that might help. Sometimes it will 'break' the hinge loose. Just don't hit it hard.

I had to hold my door at 90 degrees to the tub to get it off the first time. Now it comes off nice and easy!
MDCustom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #35
Firemandan
1979 CJ7 

Thanks MDCustom, I'll try that in the morning.
Unread 04-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #36
YJPete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

WD-40 is designed for water displacement (hence the WD), get some PB Blaster in there. Most people have to turn the door 90degrees from the body and rock it as they pull. Also it helps to push up as close to the pins as possible.
2.5" on the suspension, 1" on the shackles, 2" on the body, 4.88 Superior Gears, 35" Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar, MSD-6 Offroad ignition box, Flowmaster Exhaust, Warn 9.5Ti Winch, Detroit Tru-Trac Front, Detroit Locker Back
YJPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2012, 01:27 AM   #37
Firemandan
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJPete View Post
WD-40 is designed for water displacement (hence the WD), get some PB Blaster in there. Most people have to turn the door 90degrees from the body and rock it as they pull. Also it helps to push up as close to the pins as possible.
Thanks for the info. Busy in the yard today and I gotta work on sunday.
So monday I'm gonna try it again and let the thread know.
Unread 04-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #38
Firemandan
1979 CJ7 

Well guys, medic class is just about over. In what little time I do have, I was able to get the doors off. After next week I will have ALOT more time to give to the ol' Double D.
Should get word on the engine pretty soon.
Unread 04-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #39
Firemandan
1979 CJ7 

Oh, one more thing. Should I do the exterior work and paint before I do the interior? Planning on doing monstaliner on the inside.
I can't think straight, head is full of medications and protocols.
Unread 05-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #40
Firemandan
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobias94yj View Post
I would seriously think about finding a low miles junkyard engine and do a swap before I thought about rebuilding that one. probably end up cheaper by the time you tear that one down and start finding all the internal problems that need to be fixed. have fun and welcome to the YJ world.
You was on the money, My buddy tore it down and looked it over and found that one of the pistons had broke and was cocked sideways. Pretty screwed up. He said he could fix it with a sleeve and alot of other work, I just don't have the scratch for that. so, Monday, I;m gonna start my search. Will a 4.0 I6 hook straight up to the tranny?
Unread 05-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #41
YJPete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemandan

You was on the money, My buddy tore it down and looked it over and found that one of the pistons had broke and was cocked sideways. Pretty screwed up. He said he could fix it with a sleeve and alot of other work, I just don't have the scratch for that. so, Monday, I;m gonna start my search. Will a 4.0 I6 hook straight up to the tranny?
No, if you had the fourbanger in there then you had an AX-5. You'll need an AX-15 to link up to the 4.0, it's a little different and it can handle the torque better. Even if you do manage to get them together the 4.0 will turn the insides of an AX-5 to jelly.
2.5" on the suspension, 1" on the shackles, 2" on the body, 4.88 Superior Gears, 35" Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar, MSD-6 Offroad ignition box, Flowmaster Exhaust, Warn 9.5Ti Winch, Detroit Tru-Trac Front, Detroit Locker Back
YJPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #42
Firemandan
1979 CJ7 

Yeah Pete, been doing a little research and i found that out, Been looking around at some local yards and the '95 4cyl. are pretty hard to find and when I do find one with an ok amount of miles they want a pretty penny for it. I went to mt buddies shop this morning after my shift was over and took a look at it. After looking around and doing a lot of thinking, I'm gonna let him go ahead a rebuild the motor. So if all goes well and I can get the money together he'll do the motor and in the mean time i can do what I want to do on the body. Thanks for the info anyway Pete.
Just one of the many reasons I love this forum, Every one on this site is always willing to help and share knowledge.
IT'SA JEEP THING !
Unread 05-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #43
Firemandan
1979 CJ7 

Ok guys, been doing some body work on the ole' " DOUBLE D".
Was taking off the fender flares and discovered the metal under the flares was pretty much gone. I had another fender for the passenger side so I put that on and working on the other flares now. goona try and get the other 3 off and then take the spare tire holder off the tailgate and take care of that area.
I've taken the seats out and gonna take care of the inside so after i get it painted i can go and monsta line it.
Unread 07-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #44
Firemandan
1979 CJ7 

Well folks, Been working on the ole double D a little each day the past few weeks. I got all the hinges, spare tire carrier, windshield frame and other things taken off.
Found just minor rust spots and a few dings that i can take care of myself. Took my (as of sunday) 7 year old son to the local paint store and looked at million paint samples, he helped me pick out "midnight gray metalic". The plan is to paint the body the color he helped me with and paint the hinges and othe stuff a flat black with a little texture.
I'll get some pictures in here as soon as i can, little dirty after I get done tinkering with the ole gal and my wife would kill me if i dirty up the camera.
Unread 07-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #45
Firemandan
1979 CJ7 

oops! forgot, I have also put 1 1/4" lift shackles on. Love the look of it now, just gotta get some tires on some wheels i got, but thats later, after i get her painted and engine put in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.