Project Dark Horse 88 YJ - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Dark Horse 88 YJ

Halloween Savings to die for!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 01-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #31
slafferty
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I think you should have left the paint scheme more like it was but instead of the hood and tub being tan you should have painted it olive drave and put your dark horse decal on the hood in black

'00 TJ, 4.0, nv3550 spd, E-lockers Front and Rear, 4.88 gears. Homebuilt Bumpers/ tube doors.. Homebuilt Long Arm in the making... 35 inch MT-R's ordered[QUOTE=RUBtjICON;9622056]If you arent scratching it, you arent trying hard enough :tea:[/QUOTE]

[U][I][B]MY BUILD THREAD[/B][/I][/U]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/slaffertys-2000-tj-build-1121555/index2.html"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="4"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/slaffertys-2000-tj-build-1121555/index2.html[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]
slafferty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #32
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slafferty View Post

I think you should have left the paint scheme more like it was but instead of the hood and tub being tan you should have painted it olive drave and put your dark horse decal on the hood in black
I thought about that and really like the idea, but I was kind of in a hurry. I had to do some welding in some spots, and black paint was all I had at the time. I may think about it more, it's easy to change color. I'm more intent on getting everything else done so I can get back to the trails. I might take it out this week and do some snow trails, but only if it warms up a little. We are going to have a heat wave on Wed. 14* above.

1980 CJ-7 Mall crawler (RIP 2010)
1983 CJ-8 Scrambler Full resto in progress
1988 YJ Fully Built but never Done

Xtremjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #33
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

did that rear box fit in with the back seat in?
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #34
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

did that rear box fit with the back seat in?
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 07:21 AM   #35
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
did that rear box fit with the back seat in?
Umm no, There would be no room for it with the seat in. I guess you could build it lower, brace it more, and put a seat on top of it. Then you would have kind of like the tuffy under seat drawer. I have seen someone on here that did just that, just don't know who. I have no use for the rear seat, so it go pitched in favor of storage.

Unread 01-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #36
skeeterbeater
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 01-08-2010, 08:24 AM   #37
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Got my glove box done. I do have to say I like this dash set up much better than stock.

And a few crappy cell pics of the dash installed.

Hopefully will get some better pics soon.

Right now i'm in the process of changing my body mounts. No rust but the old rubber is falling apart. So I bought some poly bushings. I'm actually reusing all of the stock hardware. The sleeves and bolts are good, that was a suprise. Had to get the body bushings done, so when I tie the roll cage to the frame I don't have to redo anything. Steel prices are good, bought a bunch of tubing and sheet steel for a grand total of $150. I might start the cage sooner than I thought.

Unread 01-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #38
MikeUnlimited04
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The dash looks pretty sharp! Good joB!

Silver JEEP Club Member #36
MikeUnlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #39
T-Mack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

nice build man, looking foward to seeing the final paint job with the red candy and all.
T-Mack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #40
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Lately I have been thinking on how I want to do my roll cage. I have built race car and jeep cages before, but I wanted this one to be very user friendly. I ran across the Gen Right Cage Stanchions. So I started researching them. They looked to be strong enough to hold up in a flop, so I ordered a set. I wanted to see first hand how they were built and how strong they were. I figured if I didn't like them it would be easy to swap them out. Made of 3/16's plate they came with gussets and grade 8 hardware. Look to be pretty strong.

I started to assemble them and besides having to drill one hole on each one a bit bigger, they fit great. Everything lines up and they bolt in about everywhere they could. No reason these thing won't hold up. Although i'm going to take them a few steps further and tie the A pillar and b pillar together using more 3/16's plate. And while installing them I'm tieing the cage to the frame with poly bushing isolators.

I'm going to base this cage on the order of my CJ 7 cage with a few improvements. Here is a pic of my CJ

I have to push on to getting the cage done in the next few weeks, because my helper is having hand surgery, so no more helper. Besides wheeling season is just around the corner. Stay tuned for cage updates.

Unread 01-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #41
skeeterbeater
1995 YJ Wrangler 

that cj is :
Unread 01-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #42
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Moving forward I have the Gen Right Cage Stanchions installed. Just to let anyone know that might want to install these, bolt the top and bottom parts together before you put it in the jeep. Once I had it set I tightened the bolts and welded it together. It says just to bolt them, but I welded for strength. Here is a tip: If your running a hard top, make sure you have your windshield angle set. The stanchions tend to push it forward, and will interfere with the top fitting. Here is a sneak peek if them installed:

Unread 01-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #43
salgucci
1992 YJ Wrangler 

nice work! i like your seats. what are they from?
salgucci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #44
pmccoy9876
1997 TJ Wrangler 

WOW!!! You have some great looking jeeps there! Great work so far on the YJ, can't wait to see the finished product!
Are you insane? Do you have any idea how many slip-and-fall accidents are caused by carelessly discarded banana peels? This is a crime of Vaudevillian proportions and must not be tolerated in a civilized society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCJ2A View Post
I have no input of any value to this thread but those are awesome.
'No Solution' Build Thread
pmccoy9876 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #45
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by salgucci View Post
nice work! i like your seats. what are they from?
I bought these from JC Whitney. on sale shipped to the door $200 for the pair. They are comfortable also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.