Project Dark Horse 88 YJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Dark Horse 88 YJ

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #16
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I put a new lock on the tailgate. The drawer is tight against the tailgate, so I just lock that. No one can get in it.

Xtremjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #17
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Finally got my new top painted and on. It looks alot better. While I was painting it I tinted the windows with limo tint. I also decided to paint the windshield frame, when I went to take it off I found out the the PO stripped all the nuts holding the windshield hinges on. So I drilled and welded new nuts in, so I can get it off anytime I want. Also painted the cowl area. For now i'm just going with rattle can. I know I'm an automobile painter, but the painters vehicle is always the last to get done. I'm hoping this summer I will have a chance to get a good base/clear on it, and maybe do some air brushing, and some candy toners to it. It sounds like alot but for me it's a cheap paint job. I just use up paint I have left from other jobs.

Unread 12-20-2009, 07:59 AM   #18
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

A little update on the motor end of things. I still have the 4.2 with a little over 100,000 miles on it, but it has extreme blow by. The first things I did to it was nutter it and did the team rush and put a motorcraft 2100 on. Actually I stole the motorcraft from my CJ, but it does not mind, I can't drive two jeeps at once. Thank god the scrambler is still in pieces other wise I would have some pissed off jeeps around. Any way, It runs 100 time better. I took the valve cover off and cleaned everything, changed gasket and some other things, but still nasty blow by. I have a spare laying around, going to freshin that one and throw it in. Thats the only thing that has not been rebuilt on the whole jeep, so it's time.
Unread 12-20-2009, 09:15 AM   #19
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just got my Jeepforum.com sticker in the mail. The white just does not match my jeep, so out came the vinyl. I copied the original sticker in the computer and cut myself out a red one.

I cut it a bit bigger, but no one will mind.
Unread 12-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #20
BigW
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome Jeep. Gave me alotta good ideas for mine, but I promise not to make a clone. :-)
BigW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #21
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

you should really paint the rest of it black . nice looking rig.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 02:37 PM   #22
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I love the looks of this YJ, verryyy nice!
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #23
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the compliments guys. It's slowly coming along. It's also turning all black.
Unread 12-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #24
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Made a steering box skid last night, no pics yet. And it's turning black right now.
Unread 12-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #25
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Just pulled it outside took some pics of the paint.

Unread 12-31-2009, 07:17 AM   #26
Alacran
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nice job! One of my favorite jeeps on here. Kind of liked the gray color better though, black jeeps are getting to be a dime a dozen.
Alacran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2009, 08:19 AM   #27
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Nice job! One of my favorite jeeps on here. Kind of liked the gray color better though, black jeeps are getting to be a dime a dozen.
Once I get a real paint job on it, and not just rattle can, It will not be just a black jeep. I painted my golf cart the way I'm going to paint the jeep. I used the golf cart as a test panel. Here is a sneak peak.

It not a very good pic, but it's all airbrushed with candy apple red. The black part is red pearl in the black. Like I said before being I'm a painter I have all this stuff laying around leftover from previous jobs. It' won't cost me anything but time.

1980 CJ-7 Mall crawler (RIP 2010)
1983 CJ-8 Scrambler Full resto in progress
1988 YJ Fully Built but never Done

Unread 01-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #28
bogger331
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i love the bumpers im gona make my own too hellof alot cheaper to do it urself
bogger331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #29
red96jeep

oh no why'd you go all black! i think the two tone was a nice contrast in colors. still a nice looking jeep tho, im' a little jealous.
Rocky Mountain Edition Club member #4
project vehicle
new 2002 jetta 1.8t DD
red96jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #30
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I got some work done on my dash. Haven't done a whole lot because it's been COLD. -26* this morning. The wood burner can't keep up.

I ordered some VDO gauges from summit racing, and pulled out the sheet steel again. I do have the luxuary of having a plasma cutter, bending brake and bead roller, so the dash is going pretty smooth. I decided to go with the YJ 3 piece dash but flat. With a locking glove box like the tuffy one. Here is some pics of the rough cut sheet.

Took them to the drill press for all the holes, then to the bending break. Here is a pic of the gauge panel painted with hammer finish.

I drilled it for 6 switches but only need 4 right now, I just put some hole plugs in the extra. My gauges came in but my air pressure gauge is back ordered so I put my old on in it's place temporarily. Also put some autometer clocking rings on all gauges.

Here is a finished pic.

No pic of it installed yet, but it's in and works great. Working on my glove box now, it's like the tuffy but without the grab handle. The handle will go on the roll cage. For now i'm going to keep the drivers side dash the way it is. My brain was not working when trying to design one up. Something will come to me eventually. After the dash is a new custom crossmember/skid plate, ladder bar, and axle truss. I might as well pick up enough tube for the roll cage. My steel guy says steel is low price right now, going to stock up.

Also, The jeep got some red and silver graphics down the side. It needed some color until the real paint job. Will get pics soon.

1980 CJ-7 Mall crawler (RIP 2010)
1983 CJ-8 Scrambler Full resto in progress
1988 YJ Fully Built but never Done

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.