Project Dark Horse 88 YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Dark Horse 88 YJ

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 12-14-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Project Dark Horse 88 YJ

First off, I sold my 99 TJ, and wanted to get a YJ to build for trails and some DD.

I'm finally starting a build thread for my 88 Saraha. This all started in winter of 2008. I origanlly bought it for $4,000 with a little over 100K on it and lots of goodies onboard, lets see if I can remember all of them.

BDS lift and BDS shocks
Greasable boomerang shackels in the rear
Heavy greasable shackels gront. Not sure on the manuafacture on these.
33" trXus tires
15"x10" american racing wheels
full size spare with mickey thompson wheel
Soft top in really bad shape
full doors
half doors
mirror relocaters
trail cover
super 35 rear axle ( I know it's junk, but I will run it til it dies) with chrom moly axels, 4.88 gears and detroit locker.
30 front axel with 4.88 gears and ARB air locker.
ARB air compressor with tire fill hose
Slip yoke eliminator
CV driveshaft
Misc. parts

This rig was built in Utah, but was not wheeled hard at all. And it had NO rust. Here is what it looked like when I brought it home.

Xtremjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The first thing I did was take the crap soft top off. I have a spare best top soft top , but decided to go with a hard top, so the search was on. I found a CJ top with no rear window. So I proceded to make a plexiglass window. Because it was in the garage (winter in Minnesota) with the top off, I changed the dash color. I hate the spice color, so out came the duplicolor vinly and trim paint. Black and gray. I also got out the tubing bender and made a front bumper. I bought a Mile Marker winch plate new for cheap otherwise I would have built my own. I put 2 clevis mounts and fog light mounts on the bumper.

Then I tore apart the front fenders. I made tube fenders with a 6 inch flare. and plated them with 14 gauge sheet steel. Really good approach angle with the fenders and the bumper. While I had the bender out I made some rock sliders, they are the same style I put on all my jeeps. Just something different. And bent up some rocker panel armor. Painted it all black and put it on the jeep. It had the stock tire carrier on it with the 33" spare and was killing the tailgate. So I made a rear bumper with a swing out tire carrier. Tried to be a little different and put the tire on the inside if the carrier. Got the hinge, lock and front clevis mounts from A to Z Fab.

Unread 12-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 12-14-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Shorlty after that was all done, the internal slave started leaking. Yes it still had the POS BA-10 tranny in it. So out it came. In with a new clutch, pilot bearing, slave, and an AX-15 tranny. While I was at it I rebuilt the tranny and transfer case. They really didn't need it, but hard to tell from the outside. Believe it or not the rear main seal on the motor was NOT leaking. So I didn't touch it. I changed all the fluids in the axels (to check the lockers, but the gears and lockers were just put in and not broken in yet) and everything else. So now all my drivetrain is brand new, the motor is the only thing left to rebuild.

Then it looked funny with front tube fenders and stock rears. So I ordered shorty corners to cover a decent size dent, then on to building rear tube fenders.

Unread 12-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #5
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Next I got in to drive it and my seat reclined on it's own. So now new seats were on the list. I got some racing seats from JC Whitney for $200 shipped. They are not the best seats, but are comfortable, and it's a jeep. Also I got some cam lock 4 point harnesses. Welded in a harness bar and once again got out the bender and made new seat mounts that can be tied into a full cage when I get around to building that. I also threw a winch on that I had laying around.

By the time I got this far it was getting warmer, and off came the top. I never put a top on in the summer, just carry my trail cover and a bikini top with.

Unread 12-14-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
Jeeper75
1975 CJ5 

Cool Jeep, looks like a pretty clean one too!
Jeeper75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I then just drove it for a few months, enjoying the weather. I didn't do much for mods in this time. I'm self employed and thats the busy time of year. This brings me to the last few months.
First off I just had my knee replaced and am finally able to walk around enough to get in the garage. (got really sick of sitting around) So it was getting cold and in went the jeep in the garage. I did a few things to it fro hunting season. Made a 2 shotgun mount in the rear, made sure the heater was working (holy hell is it hot) . Al I can say it thank god for the jeep for hunting. It rained almost every day and we were hunting out in the middle of no where. But never had to hit 4 wheel drive. The rear detroit did it all. As I sat and laughed at a 4 door Ford F250 desiel that was in 4 wheel and got stuck on a shadow. LOL
Unread 12-14-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

So I washed it off and back in the garage. We have been having alot of break in's in vehicles latley. We caught someone in my CJ trying to rip the stereo out. Little did he know that thing is bolted in there and it's hard for me to get it out. So I wanted to lock things up in the YJ. I hated the stock center console so out it came. (will put it in the scrambler after resto) I liked the tuffy console but hate the price. I'm one that if I can build it I will! So I pulled out the 14 gauge steel and started drawing. Cut it all out and welded it together. Put dome lights, my ARB switches and seat belt holders on it. I also has some camo wrap laying around so I out that on it (not sure if I like it).

installed
Unread 12-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #9
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have since out my in cab winch controls on it. And will put some light switches on it.

I got out the quadratec catalog out and ordered some new door locks. I never had the key for the old, and would like to lock things up with the hard top on.

Since for hunting I took out the back seat, and didn't see a reason to keep it in there, I decided to make something for rear storage. I searched the internet to find something I liked. I didn't really find anything. So I decided to make something as I went. Off to the lumbar store. Bought 2 sheets of treated 3/4" plywood, and some other stuff. And started building. I came out as a 24"x 3?" drawer with sub and speaker mount. I then covered to with trunk carpet and covered all the edges with aluminum angle.

Unread 12-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I do custom graphics and airbrushing for a living so I got a little creative. Added some bling. I made a vinyl stencil and put it on the carpet on the storage box. Then got out the vinly and fabric dye and sprayed over the stencil. This is what the final product looks like.

Unread 12-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #11
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

On to some small stuff I made. First is a Fire Extinguisher quick release.

Then a flip up plate mount for the fairlead. I saw it on here somewhere, but had to make it different, due to a different fairlead.

Unread 12-14-2009, 10:55 AM   #12
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Next on my list is a full axle truss, and I decided I need new gauges. (they are starting to dye) So a custom dash will be made. Will post when I get something new made. Also the blow by from the motor as getting bad, so i'm working on a mew motor.
Unread 12-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #13
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Almost forgot, I just scored a free 91-95 YJ hard top on good condition. Should be alot better than the CJ top with plexiglass.
Unread 12-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #14
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have had a few PM's on more information on the storage box. I took the best pictures I could with the hard top on. Here is the specs.

Parts list:
1 1/2 sheets treated plywood 3/4"
2 full extention 24" 150lb drawer slides
box of screws
box of self tapping screws
2 rolls of walmart trunk carpet
spray adhesive
wood glue
1 recessed tie down for drawer handle
4 small tie downs for top
24' of 1" aluminum angle

Total price a little over $100

The drawer is 34"wide x 25 1/2" deep x 8 1/2" high
the face of the drawer is 10 1/2"high
the slides are about half way up the drawer
the top piece is 38 1/2" wide x 27 1/2"
the front angled piece for the speakers and sub is 16 1/2" x 37"
the 2 sides are 11 1/2" high x 38 1/2" at the bottom and 27 1/2" at the top.
There is a divider between the speaker compartment and the drawer, don't remember the size, and can't get to it to measure. The speaker and sub compartment is also sealed for better sound. I can turn it way up and have NO rattles.

I didn't put any wood under the drawer, I just plugged the seat holes and put some carpet down for sound deading.

To secure the box the the jeep I used self tapping screws inside the compartment into the wheel wells 5 per side. And then some down from the top through the aluminum angle on the sides.

Unread 12-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #15
PrinothPro
1990 YJ Wrangler 

amazing jeep! and excellent job on your rear storage box!

Edit: I forgot to add, did you put a lock on the storage box?
PrinothPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.