Project Country Song CJ-5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Country Song CJ-5

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 02-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Project Country Song CJ-5

The build title, as I was driving it home I honestly felt like I was driving a Jeep from a country song!

I had originally planned on getting back into an XJ. I was headed down to pick the XJ up that I was wanting, half way there I get a phone call from the owner and he says "it will not start" so immediate red flag and I turn around and go back home. I was really wanting to get back in a XJ, but this deal and Jeep just landed in my hands so perfectly!

The next day while I was at work my wife called, she found this ad on craigslist. There was no pictures on the ad only a small description was "Jeep Crawler" info- v8 locked and loaded. I was skeptical with no picture and little info.

When I arrived the Jeep was parked under a big oak tree with a tarp/car cover over it. There was a small shed witha Jeep Grille on the front entrance, that later come to find out all the stock and tons of spare parts, tires, wheels where stored in it. I met the man, and found out the man was liquidating all his toys and possession. He was having a tough battle with cancer, his brother was the original owner of the CJ who was KIA during vietnam and the Jeep has been in his possession ever since, I must say that I am honored to have it! The Jeep frame has been boxed and he did a mild frame off restoration.

The good stuff!

1968 CJ5
289 V8 with TBI
SM 420 tranny
DANA 300 Twin Stick with 4:1
Wheelbase stretched 4"
Dana 44 widetrax from a SCOUT with 4.88s and Detroits, chromolly
35x12.50r15 Goodyear Wrangler MTRs "old style" mounted on Bart Racing Bead Locks
Custom "classic" stubby Bumpers with a warn m8000
Crossover steering linkage with heim joints.
Custom Roll Cage, best top seats, tilt steering etc.
Tons of random small personal mods

These are the only pictures I have for now, but tons more will follow, some of yall know that I am a very photo happy person. I love that it fits in the garage!

Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Doing a Stinger style bumper like the one below!

Unread 02-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsun
The build title, as I was driving it home I honestly felt like I was driving a Jeep from a country song!

I had originally planned on getting back into an XJ. I was headed down to pick the XJ up that I was wanting, half way there I get a phone call from the owner and he says "it will not start" so immediate red flag and I turn around and go back home. I was really wanting to get back in a XJ, but this deal and Jeep just landed in my hands so perfectly!

The next day while I was at work my wife called, she found this ad on craigslist. There was no pictures on the ad only a small description was "Jeep Crawler" info- v8 locked and loaded. I was skeptical with no picture and little info.

When I arrived the Jeep was parked under a big oak tree with a tarp/car cover over it. There was a small shed witha Jeep Grille on the front entrance, that later come to find out all the stock and tons of spare parts, tires, wheels where stored in it. I met the man, and found out the man was liquidating all his toys and possession. He was having a tough battle with cancer, his brother was the original owner of the CJ who was KIA during vietnam and the Jeep has been in his possession ever since, I must say that I am honored to have it! The Jeep frame has been boxed and he did a mild frame off restoration.

The good stuff!

1968 CJ5
289 V8 with TBI
SM 420 tranny
DANA 300 Twin Stick with 4:1
Wheelbase stretched 4"
Dana 44 widetrax from a SCOUT with 4.88s and Detroits, chromolly
35x12.50r15 Goodyear Wrangler MTRs "old style" mounted on Bart Racing Bead Locks
Custom "classic" stubby Bumpers with a warn m8000
Crossover steering linkage with heim joints.
Custom Roll Cage, best top seats, tilt steering etc.
Tons of random small personal mods

These are the only pictures I have for now, but tons more will follow, some of yall know that I am a very photo happy person. I love that it fits in the garage!
That thing is awesome. I'm dying to know what you paid for it. I wish my '69 CJ5 had looked that good.
84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #4
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Lets say it was under 4K tons of videos and pictures are to follow!

Unread 02-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #5
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Did some cleaning on the motor some, seeing how it sat up for awhile it was covered in dust! Went out and tested the 4x4 and the twin sticks. Everything works flawlessly, I have a small oil leak coming from the filter. I loosened it up some and re tightened it down, it seems to have stopped. Went up to Dollar General to grab some all purpose cleaner.

Before

After

Also added a few of my little touches "stickers and DoD Decals"

Unread 02-21-2014, 03:27 AM   #6
MAjeepkid
1987 MJ Comanche 

sick rig!!! i love it, simple and functional
MAjeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 05:08 AM   #7
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I wish i would have found this Jeep years ago!!!

This morning it is in the lower 30s decided to drive it into work since it will be 70+ by noon! Anyways as I was heading down the highway i checked my GPS and i was moving right along at 55mph!
Unread 02-21-2014, 11:45 AM   #8
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Will hopefully get the new bumper made tonight, this weekend will be geared towards preventive maintenance and cleaning! Does anybody have a suggestion for cleaning up the engine bay?
Unread 02-21-2014, 09:30 PM   #9
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Drove the Crawler on the highway a good 80 miles today, putting right along around 55mph @ 2600 RPMs however it handled nice on the road which was surprising, got tons of thumbs ups Made a random pit stop to check out an odd noise I was hearing, got back to my buddies shop and made the stinger what do yall think? It is not quite complete, going to tie it into a semi exo-cage we are building!

Stinger Build...

Unread 02-21-2014, 09:37 PM   #10
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just a little putting around the block...

Unread 02-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #11
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Getting ready to change all the fluids, and fix the clutch linkage that I popped out climbing something I shouldnt have... Also going to investigate the front brake issue...

Unread 02-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #12
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Lets see, fixed the front brake issue, made a highlift mount, cleaned it up some more, degreased the engine bay, and undercarriage, went and picked up a seat, spare tires, spare parts, and met some cool people!

BTW I fixed the brakes with a Sledge Hammer...

Unread 02-22-2014, 09:48 PM   #13
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The motor without a doubt is a 283, it cleaned up nicely! Messed around with an axe/shovel combo... shoudl I keep or drop it? I will make a a better mount, but this is temporary ignore my stuper I am some what drunks.

Unread 02-23-2014, 07:13 AM   #14
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Cleaning the garage out today so I can find the rest of my tools, I hate moving!
Unread 02-23-2014, 09:21 AM   #15
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Found a rock garden back behind my house, stretched the legs some, and tested out the front/rear digs some, BIG UPDATE!!! REPLACED THE LICENSE PLATE BULB!!!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.