Project "Close enough" - HuLuD44's TJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project "Close enough" - HuLuD44's TJ Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep parts, deals and more at JeepHut.comTJ BDS 2" suspension lift!! FINALLY a GREAT 2" l

Unread 10-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
hulud44
Fish Monger

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Project "Close enough" - HuLuD44's Anti Tons, LCOG TJ Build

Been on JF for a bunch of years now. I figure its time to start an official build thread. I've had other build thread on other smaller forums that I've been affiliated and have done a few write ups on JF for my larger mods as well. But I need a new place to keep track of things, brain storm, and post wheelin pics and vids. So here ya go...

2000 Jeep wrangler sport. 6 cyl 4.0 Purchased from a dealer in 05' spotless, one owner, bone stock, with 45k on it. The Jeep has been rebuilt several times from budget 33s to 35s and now the current set up. I'll spare you the boring details and and jump to the spot where the newer, bigger mods took place. Back dating will start at my jump to 37s. Waggy 44 build, rear stretch to 103", 3 link front. After getting up to speed I'll get into the newest project which is the rear cage build and lowering the Jeep to 2" ride height.

As of 10/21/14:

2000 TJ
6 cyl 4.0
IronMan Fab .25" MML
rh32 w/ Tranny cooler

Transfer Case:
Atlas 4 speed 3.8/10.3

Front Axle:
Waggy 44
TnT truss system
Yukon 4:88
Yukon grizzly locker
Yukon Shafts
Yukon Super Joints
Warm premium locking hubs
5x5.5 BP
Ford brakes
YJ lines
76 Chevy flat top knuckles

Steering:
7/8th Ballistics Heims
.25 DOM
Ballistic High steer arms
Artec knucke bolt kits
2x double sheer tie rod
PSC extreme Hydro Assist w/ cooler

Rear axle:
Ford 8.8
Yukon 4:88
Yukon grizzly locker
Yukon Shafts
Yukon C clip eliminator
Artec Truss

Suspension:
103" WB
Artec Back half Kit
Custom 3 link front
7/8 heim upper
1.25 heim lowers
.25 DOM
Ballistics brackets

Custom 4 link rear single tri
3" JJ uppers
1.25 heim lowers
.25 DOM
Ballistics brackets

Custom panhard
3" JJ frame / 3/4 ballistics heim axle

14" Bilstein 7100 remote res
Ballistics shock towers
~2" ride height

Tires/Rims:
38" x 12.5" r15 TSL SX
7069 Alum

Armor:
A to Z fab sport cage/ Custom rear fast back
Poison Spyder XC Negative flares w/ inners
TnT Hyline rear stretch corner armor
Ballistics 3/8 diffs
UCF Ultra high belly
EMP Steering box
EMP Rad skid
EMP oil pan skid
Modified Smitybilt XRC stinger bumper w/ Grill hoop

Misc:
Tom Woods front and rear shafts
RCI 2162 Cell w/ Genright fuel ring
1" daystar BL
JK front turn signals
Half Top / wind jammer
Best top Canvas half doors
Smittybilt Harness seats
1" seat lift
Smitty bilt 9.5 winch

Some of my favorite fashion shots.

Current 3-15-15

The back dating will start shortly....................

2000 Wrangler/ Waggy44/ 8.8/ 4:88/ Locked/ 38 TSL SX/ 3-4 link/ 103" WB/ Atlas 4 10.3
NYCJC
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...build-2789314/
hulud44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
hulud44
Fish Monger

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Before this I had been running 35s on a pretty well build D30 in my 2000 TJ for 2 years now. 4:10s, Aussie, chromo everything, armored, 1 ton steering, etc... But still the trails I run found the weak point. The unit bearings on a D30 will not hold up to what I put it though. After every wheeling trip Ive been replacing one if not both hubs... At $120 a pop, somethings gotta change. So to eliminate the weak D30 unit bearings there are 2 options. 1: Further beef up the D30 with a manual locking hub kit and reid racing knuckles OR 2: upgrade to a beefier axle.
I decided to go with swapping a bigger axle since I will have a larger housing and be able to run deeper gears without blowing a pinion gear which will be the new weak point on a D30. Since I already have a build ford 8.8 rear end, trussed, 4 linked, etc... I will also needed to find an axle with the correct wheel mounting surface measurement or WMS to match the 8.8 with is ~1.5" shorter than the stock D30. SO a Dana 60 is out. Too wide. My options were down to a FS D44 out of an old ford or chevy. But it would still be slightly too wide and would have to be re tubes, or have the inner Cs cut off the long tube and welded back shorter. Too much work for me. My other option was to track down a Jeep grand Wagoneer D44. So After a few months of searching, I finally found one...

This axle has manual locking hubs which when unlocked will allow the axle shafts, gears, and front drive shaft to be independent from the outer axle and not spin taking a lot of stress off the drive train. It has a 6 lug bolt pattern which does not match the 5 x 4.5 of stock TJs. There is no conversion from 6 lug to 5 x 4.5 SO in order to make this work I will have to convert my outer axles to 5 x 5.5 BP used by 1/2 ton pick up trucks from the mid 70s - present day.

The combination of parts I am using are:

76' Chevy knuckles (flat tops- allowing for high steer set up)
90' waggy calipers and caliper brackets
76' Chevy small bearing spindles
87' Ford F150 rotors, hub assemblies
Warn Premium locking hubs
90' Waggy inner and outer axle shafts

To match the 8.8 to the 5 x 5.5 BP up front I will be running .75" adapters at first but will be doing the Superior axle 8.8 C clip eliminator kit which comes with the axle flanges drilled for both 5 x 4.5 and 5 x 5.5

I found the knuckles here on Jeepforum, and the rest that didn t come with the axle I picked up in a kit from Horsepower sales:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5x5-5-CONVER...item4852043b1a

As far as other parts:

-TnT waggy 44 truss: All high clearance brackets, cross over steering track bar bracket, adj coil mounts for 2" stretch
-Ballistics Fab high steer kit and arms:
-Panhard with .25 DOM, 3"JJ and 5/8 heim
-Ballistics 3/8 diff cover
-Yukon 4:88 -
-Carrier- 3:92 and up
-Master install kit
-Yukon Grizzly locker
-Alloy USA chromo X joints
-Spicer ball joints
-Timken bearings and seals for all outer axle components

All cleaned up with the TnT Truss system. Has to notch the casting for the truss to fit. I thought about cutting the truss but the coil bucket was in the way and I just stuck with the TnT instructions.

Artec knuckle bolt kit and ballistics high steer arm. In these pics there only one for the Pass side. And the tie rod and drag link mounting points were not to my liking. They have since been stacked with on 6" grade 8 bolt and a second knuckle bolt kit was added to the Driver side to double sheer the tie rod at both ends.

Burning in the truss and high clearance CA mounts.

Ill say this now. I am not a welder! I sell seafood for a living! But I believe in a true DIY mentality and and learning as fast as I can. So deal with it! ahaha

Steering and trackbar mock up

The diffs were set up at a buddies shop. Goonies garage. His gear guy did a great job for a pretty good price.

The finished (at the time) axle. As I said some changes have been made to the steering over time. But now I am very happy with it.

WARNING: The following is graphic in nature and may disturb some ahahah

Had a little OOPs while doing the axle install. While cutting off the stock frame side track bar mount I blew a blade on the grinder and accidentally laid into my knee. A quick hospital trip, minor surgery, and a few weeks to heal up and the axle when in with out further issues.

They had to go in an separate the bones to get all the blade and metal shavings out. Its ok I didnt have much a knee left after a helo insertion back in the Corps.

Axle finally under the Jeep. With a set of cheap 37" MTRs I picked up for rollers before I could order the pitbulls.

And thats pretty much it for the axle build. I have a lot more pics and did a more in depth write up on another forum. So any questions feel free to fire away.
2000 Wrangler/ Waggy44/ 8.8/ 4:88/ Locked/ 38 TSL SX/ 3-4 link/ 103" WB/ Atlas 4 10.3
NYCJC
Unread 10-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Wow! I had the same thing happen about 10 years go. Blew a cutoff disk and the grinder shot into my knee. Luckily I was wearing jeans and that stopped most of it. No hospital visit, but I still have a 3" scar.

Stout looking rig though. I like it.

1990 YJ - Trying to sell - Previous Build
blitz134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
hulud44
Fish Monger

2000 TJ Wrangler 

That pic always gets a response ahhha. I blame the cheap HF blade I was using. Never again.

Next I want to breifly get into the stretch build. After doing a patch job on my buddys TJ with a safety-cap product, I decided to take a closer look at my frame. As everyone sees now the front of the rear wheel well arch has become a big problem for TJs. My freinds was GONE. The UCA mount ripped off etc... Safety-cap make a great prodct BTW... Anyway this is what I found.

Being from LI my Jeep sees a lot of beach time. It was taken care of very well, hosed down after every beach trip, painted all the time... but the salt won. I could have done the same Safety-cap patch and saved a bundle. But the stretch was gonna happen down the road anyway so screw it.

I did a little write up on the TJ section. But Ill go over it again here for my own sanity. Here s the write up till I can post more.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ar...build-1861746/
NYCJC
Unread 11-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
hulud44
Fish Monger

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Pre stretch WB was 95"

To save time since I am allowed minimal time laid up in the garage that I use I pre built the back half. I would have preferred to build it on to the back end as I went but that wasn't and option. Just took my time with all the measuring and crossed my fingers it fit.

It took me a few weeks to build the back half but the rest was done in a night.
NYCJC
Unread 11-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great!
Unread 11-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #7
hulud44
Fish Monger

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. Only a few more things to bring it up to date.

Started the A to Z fab sport cage. Havent finished yet. Still have the wind shield spreader and a V. Then the rear. Bought a few sticks of tube and will be doing a fast back. Tire carrier built inside the tub. Quick fill mount, and small rear stinger.

Still have a bunch of parts waiting to go on.

- New 2" coils. Lowering from 4"
- Front Antirock. need to make axle mounts.
- PSC hydro assist.
- Finish rear cage.
NYCJC
Unread 11-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #8
hulud44
Fish Monger

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Was planning on getting into the garage tonight and putting in the new lower springs. But its packed with boats waiting to be wrapped for the winter. So I wait... But heres some wheeling vids a friend made from this past summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3cCtOwgvY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKDea5Yc_fI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTxjUxPWFdY
NYCJC
Unread 11-16-2014, 07:48 AM   #9
rougeraven117
2012 JK Wrangler 

Looks amazing!
rougeraven117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #10
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have a shot of the front swaybar axle brackets? I having a Helluva time deciding on a way to build them for my Waggy 44.
Unread 11-16-2014, 07:23 PM   #11
hulud44
Fish Monger

2000 TJ Wrangler 

As of right now there is no front sway bar. BUT there is an Antirock sitting on the work bench and I will be making some brackets shortly for it. First I have to lower it to 2" so I know what height to set up the Antirock. I dont see the brackets being very complicated.
NYCJC
Unread 11-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #12
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Nice job on the axle man! I think Im going to go a very similar route. I was going to build an HP30 with 4.88's but was nervous of the small R&P. Does the 44 have a much bigger gear set? Are you confident in it?

Build thread^^
riot1987 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2014, 11:03 PM   #13
goldensahara00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

subbed to read it later. Nice setup rig you have man.
Unread 11-17-2014, 11:16 AM   #14
hulud44
Fish Monger

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Riot1987- Yea Im very happy with the waggy 44. My whole goal is to keep it as small and light as possible. I could have easily went tons but I didnt want full widths or go threw the hassle so narrowing. It being a LP doesnt really bother me. The gears are true D44 gears. And with the full truss I dont anticipate on blowing gears. May eventually gusset just for the hell of it. Having a TT with the LP axle isnt bad either. Manual hubs so its fine on the street.

Im very happy with the axle set up as of now. IF i decide to change it, Ill prob swap some 8 lug D44 outers on the waggy and match it with a 60 rear. But for now Im just gonna Chromo front and rear with the rear C clip elim and call it a day. Yukon shafts w/ super joints front. Yukon shafts and C clip elim rear. I have no worries about it on 37s.
NYCJC
Unread 11-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #15
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

You happy with those 4.88's? Im running 35's and have a bit more motor than you but I pull a lot of hills up the freeway. I was thinking of going to 4.88's or 5.13's. You think the 5.13's would be too deep?

Build thread^^
riot1987 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.