Project CJ7 "PJ edition" complete rebuild ! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project CJ7 "PJ edition" complete rebuild !

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-19-2013, 05:22 AM   #16
pr0zak8
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig0jeep
You have worked your tail off on that body. It is looking great and you are going to have a great ride when you are done!!
thanks ! it's all fun stuff ! learning at the sane time !

pr0zak8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #17
pr0zak8
1976 CJ7 

So here are the pictures of what was done today, it is all on ruff for now, all I want it to have the tub ready to sit on the frame fast enough so I can finally get started on installing my GenRight suspension. Then I will be able to take my time fix every little detail on it and sandblast it for a clean build! I am some how satisfied with my work, i never done any body/metal work before... ok there are a few points that need to be corrected, like little gaps for bad mesuring but all this can be addessed! So the missing part of the firewall is now in place, driver side floor pan and a few little patches. and the step brace patch, you can see here on the pictures, all the grinding of the welds will come later on in the build, for now it is far from the priority

Unread 02-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #18
pr0zak8
1976 CJ7 

I'm back! sorry for those of you following me, I know I have not posted anything in a while, once again! But in the past few week I did a little more work, ordered a few more parts and drew some plans for new parts I want to get build (new frame body mounts with integrated 1 inch lift, a little like the genright YJ one's). So I was kinda busy with it anyways!

What I have done in the past weeks, still on the tub (can't wait to finish with it so I can get the genright suspension started), before christmas I had cut and welded the driver floor panel in as shown in previous post.
since then I rebuild the lower part of my cowl support, welded it on then installed the Jeep clip from classic ent. and built my rocker panel. once all these were set I welded them in place on the tub.

as you can see the rocker is a little longer. this is to fit with the new corner guards... wheel well is a little further back for the stretch.
I wasn't sur how I would install the genright stretch corner guards on the tub. In the instructions they say to bolt them on with the hardware they come with. Maybe down south where the weather is nice 11.5 months out of 12 it is a good idea! But here in Quebec, Canada, with 6 months of winter, 2 of spring 3 of fall ... and if lucky 4 weeks of summer, I didn't like the idea of squeezing two sheet metal together, the risk of getting water or crap stuck in between, starting a new phase of rust! Not my plan... So i tool many mesurements clamped the corner guard on and off making sur all was ok then cut off all the old part of the rear quarter panel so i can next weld in the corner guard as replacement! i also had to trim about 3/8" on the top of the corner guard and about 1" near the tail gate part so I can have enough space to weld on the remaining part of the tub.

I also removed the support behind the door since I need the rebuild the lower part of it to, then maybe trim it a little since there is a nice diffrence between the tub sheet metal and the corner guard. 18 Ga vs 3/16" ... a challenge to weld !
Once I finish welding it in place, I need to bring in my frame so I can get the new body mounts placed at the right spots. passenger side are all in place from factory, but driver side, since it is a YJ to CJ conversion, I got rid of the rotten mounts for the new CJ ones. Parts I ordered for this is the energy suspension body bushing kit, and the crown kit for the sleeves.
So this is it for now, I really will try hard to update more often. I have lots of mesurments taken and keep double checking ... so no worries for the tub tweaking, I know its not braced but I am not worried about it.
Unread 02-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #19
pr0zak8
1976 CJ7 

I passed a few hours at the garage this afternoon, I finally got the driver side all closed!
Last time I prepared the body and corner guard. today I tacked it in place... I think I will need to do tacks for the whole piece, welding 18Ga to 3/16 was a little challenging, I don't think I will be able to do a continuous bead.
All i have to do now on this side, is the final welding, and trim the rocker to have it fit with the fender well. fix the little details and install the body supports. For this I will bring in my frame so I can be sure all fits straight in place. then I will proceed to the final stuff and continue to the passenger side. (I might not update much for the passenger side since it is pretty much a copy and past of the driver side. I'll wait for the Finished product before priming it for more updates)

so this is what it looks like for now, you can see the strech in the fenderwell, a few welds and a few places I need to retouch!

One thins I forgot to take in picture and post is the panel support(where the door jam screws in) i had to remove it and rebuild the lower part. this will be installed soon. Ill post a picture next week.
Unread 03-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #20
pr0zak8
1976 CJ7 

So this week I some how did good progress, it may not seem like much but I think it's all good since everything worked out fine! I brought in my frame at the garage(not working on this one yet) so I could sit the tub on it and be certain all sits straight! I got my Energy suspension bushings in place, finished fixing the front driver body support, positioned the outboard floor rail, installed the rollbar to see if all was in right spots, then dropped the tub on the frame, braced the rear corner guards at the right measurements so i can weld in the body panel support(one with the door jam)...
anyways here are a few pictures plus a glimps one of the tub with the mini boat side rocker I will be installing this week !
]

No worries about the crossmember, o got a new ones build like the original, but in 3/16 steel

And the glimps picture ...
Unread 03-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #21
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

well, thats looking good

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #22
pr0zak8
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovett86
well, thats looking good
thanks!
Unread 06-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #23
pr0zak8
1976 CJ7 

Once again, it's been a while since I last posted the work done on my CJ build, so here is a quick update;
lately I got going on the passenger side,I prepared and tack welded the passenger side floor, build a few more body parts and started the install. What I will have left is to cut the quarter panel and replace it with the corner guard.

here you can see the difference between the stock fender well opening and the new opening with the gen-right stretch corner guards.

so as soon as this corner guard is welded I will be able to install the new mounts for the body in the right spots so the tub is centered on the frame then I can do a little of the ruff buffing, and put is aside so i can get the suspension started. i recently found a clean dana 60-isu full float to replace the dana 61 I accidently purchased a few years ago !
Unread 06-11-2014, 07:18 PM   #24
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

nice work on the tub, i know what u mean about the weather up here, im just over in ontario and just about every car older then 3 years has rust on it

Unread 08-31-2014, 02:27 PM   #25
pr0zak8
1976 CJ7 

here we go again! as mentioned in the past posts, I did not want to update until my passenger side was almost over, since it was a copy and past of the driver side...
so, here is what was done in the past few months, in my free time.
build a few parts and welded them in place, then I braced the tub(should of started with this) with the measurments I got to put everything back in place as it should be. Once all this was placed, I sandblasted my windshield frame, I still have a few repairs to do on it but it looks pretty clean! then I went for the rear end and tac welded my corner guard !
so here are the new pictures... slowly not fast it is starting to look like a CJ.

I still have to straighten a few parts and area's on the tub, but it should not be a big deal. I also drew a few new parts i need to get build with autocad, high clearence bullet prood body mounts, my axles flanges for the rear disc conversion and started the rear inner frame parts aswell !
more to come in the next few weeks ! any suggestions or comments are always appreciated !
Unread 08-31-2014, 09:42 PM   #26
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

jeeps looking good

Unread 08-31-2014, 10:21 PM   #27
pr0zak8
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovett86
jeeps looking good
thanks! i had a look at your build! great job!
Unread 08-31-2014, 10:38 PM   #28
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0zak8 View Post
thanks! i had a look at your build! great job!
Thanks man, hoping to have it running this winter and maybe painted next spring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.