Project CJ Vette - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project CJ Vette

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-23-2008, 08:27 PM   #106
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

It's from Advanced Adapters. They say it's made for an LS equipped narrow frame Jeep.

I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2008, 08:44 PM   #107
next

Have you tried an LSx specific radiator hose instead of the Yukon one?

I think the adapters to neck down hoses are just a smaller size hose that would fit your water pump and the bigger hose would slide over and clamp down on that.
next is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2008, 07:16 AM   #108
next

You can probably ignore the LS1 type hose as I don't remember the radiator hose being a different size on each end of my setup so I'm not sure the radiator you have is LS1 specific as told. I could be wrong, but it just doesn't ring any bells with me. With that said, I think the smaller hose adapter will work for you.
next is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2008, 07:49 PM   #109
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Haven't looked into the hoses yet... I decided I'm probably going to take the radiator to a shop and have them weld in new outlets. That way I can keep it more "Auto parts store repairable" which is the main theme I've been trying to stick with.
Unread 05-30-2008, 08:26 PM   #110
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Got a little bit done today. Spent most of the day fighting with the steering column to try and get the brake / clutch pedals out. Couldn't get them out, so I put them back. Well There are 2 bolts right behind the dash that bolt the pedal assembly to the steering column. I COULD NOT get them back in. Literally took me about 4 hours to get 2 bolts back in.

I'm going back tomorrow to finish up the brake booster problem. The eye of the piston on the booster won't fit on the post on the pedal. I guess what I'm going to have to do is drill out the eye until it fits around the post. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow of it.

Anyway...

Here's the intake elbow I picked up for $20 on LS1tech.com:

As you can see, it was about 2" too big.

Measured how far I could shove it onto the intake manifold, and drew a line on the elbow and cut it down. Fits like a glove

Picked up the MAF from Advanced Auto and the couplers from the local hardware store. This so far has cost $200.

Got the front driveshaft in the mail. One of the bolts in the front axle yoke is busted inside. Gonna drill and tap it when I get it on the frame lift. It's kinda close to where I think the exhaust is gonna be. Think it'll melt the rubber boot? I can flip the driveshaft around so the boot is on the bottom, but I'd rather have the boot and slip joint up and protected by the skid / frame.

Unread 06-06-2008, 04:21 AM   #111
MeatPuppet
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wrap the exhaust with the high temp insulating tape. It will keep the temperature low enough to not melt the boot.
Unread 06-06-2008, 11:35 AM   #112
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Good idea Jim. I'll inform the Mexican exhaust guys of your idea.

I got the wiring harness and computer back today. Imagine looking at the Jeep from the front bumper. I'm going to try to get the computer inside the Jeep. Right now the heater stuff is in the way inside. I'm thinking of somehow sandwiching the computer behind the dash with all of that stuff. I'll have to drill a hole about 3" to get the plugs through the firewall.

The top right bundle is the reverse lockout and the Vehicle Speed Sensor. I'm not using either but I told them to leave it in just incase I decide to use it later.

The top left bundle is the battery hookups. The wires without a loom next to that are what they added. That's the fuel pump, OBDII plug, a few random starter / alternator wires, and other stuff I still have to figure out.

The orange loom is the passenger side O2 sensor and starter wires.

The bundle coming down in the center from the main loom is the passenger side fuel rail hookups, and a few connectors on the back of the block. One is the MAP sensor, and another is the oil pressure gauge (). Gotta figure out where to put those.

The right side is the driver side fuel rail, and most of the engine accessories. Alternator, MAF, air temp, coolant temp, and the driver side O2 sensor at the bottom.

If I can find some time this weekend I'll hopefully get this thing hooked up as well as I can. I don't expect to be able to get over there this weekend, though.

I also got my new bell housing in the mail. I'm going to install it, and try to fix the top cover for the tranny. Hopefully I just installed the cover wrong and the forks are not aligned.

Also going to install the intake I made. Hope it fits.

I called a local radiator shop earlier in the week to ask about getting the radiator outlets fixed. They both need to be a size smaller. They said they'd call me today, so I might give them a call to see whats up if I don't hear from them soon.

Other than that. Not much left.
Unread 06-06-2008, 11:39 AM   #113
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Hurry this **** up already. Quit jerkin yer gherkin and get something done, Andy. Jeeze....

just kidding, good work so far. Not small undertaking...

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2008, 09:40 AM   #114
MeatPuppet
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
Good idea Jim. I'll inform the Mexican exhaust guys of your idea.
Ouch, that hurt.
Unread 06-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #115
Camo Deere
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Great work Grewe.

Update time.
Camo Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #116
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Hey Andy.. what's up with the rig? Any updates?

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #117
frog557
1980 CJ5 

cant beat the cjs
frog557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #118
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Updates? Man.. Not much. When the Navy packed all my stuff, they packed my tools and parts to go to storage, so I've had to wait this long without them, and probably just under another month. They're "booked" so they can't deliver my crap

Anyway, I've been scouting out some places around here I could do some work at or take the Jeep to. I think I'm gonna have the motor rebuild after everything is all hooked up, since it hasn't been started in almost a year now.
Unread 11-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #119
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

it'll be fine you shouldnt have to rebuild it, hell its a chevy! i've got a 1956 pontiac w/ 29k orig miles on it and unfortunately have to leave it in storage for up to a year and a half. Once hadn't driven it in 2 years, we go to it, hook up the battery pump the gas pedal 3 times to get gas goin and choke set and she fires right up and purrs w/out any smoke even, thats GM quality right there i imagine an ls motor should be just as good/way better,

Last edited by jeepbro's; 11-07-2008 at 12:58 PM..
jeepbro's is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 11:36 PM   #120
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Hope that is true My room mate just bought a 56 Impala today, and as soon as we replaced the battery it started right up

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.