Project CJ Vette - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project CJ Vette

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 04-27-2008, 05:11 AM   #76
Hawkes

Quote:
It also doesn't want to go into any gear, let alone move around while in neutral, so I'm expecting another tear down in the future. It was doing this before the clutch install as well. I'm guessing when we swapped the new main shaft in, we didn't put it back together just right. The shop I'm working on it in has a hydraulic press, so I might just try to re press all the gears onto the main shaft again... Hopefully that will fix it. If not, then I'm going to take it to a shop and hope they don't rape me too badly
The SM465 top cover can be a bugger to get in place, make sure you have the shift forks in the right place before taking it somewhere. I held one of the gears in place with grease, it kept sliding out of place. Looking good.

Hawkes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2008, 07:54 PM   #77
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkes View Post
The SM465 top cover can be a bugger to get in place, make sure you have the shift forks in the right place before taking it somewhere. I held one of the gears in place with grease, it kept sliding out of place. Looking good.
I'm REALLY hoping this is the case. It was decently easy to twist the gears before I re-installed the top cover, compared to how it was before I swapped the main shaft. As soon as the top cover went on, it spun a few times then nothing. So, I'll pull it apart and pray that the forks aren't lined up.

In other news,

Been slacking. Running out of money and time at the same time.... Not a good combination!

This past weekend I did some cutting. Got rid of the old tank and mocked up the fuel cell. Had to cut a hole in the sheet for the sump. I'll mount it inbetween the frame rails later on when I have more of the two things I'm short on right now.

Also, finally got my valve covers in the mail. Now I'm able to mount my coil packs. I'm glad I waited for these because I think this looks waaaay better than using a relocation kit. And that junk is expensive. This actually put money back in my pocket by selling the aftermarket covers.

I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.

Last edited by Grewe02; 05-15-2008 at 06:34 PM..
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2008, 07:59 PM   #78
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Knocked a few things off the list this past week and over the weekend. Bought the fuel lines and AN fittings, bought the starter, and started separating the wiring harness.

Did some work today that warranted a few pics

See the square peg with a hole in the center coming off the block right infront of the starter hole? It was in the way.

So instead of breaking my block I decided to break the starter.

Fits now.

Just another shot of the e-fan clearance

Gonna have to move the fuel cell forward an inch or two. But I got it in. I'll figure out exact placement in the next few days.

What do you guys think of this spot for the fuel pump / regulator? I really can't figure out a better spot. I would love to put it along the frame rail, but I'm pretty positive the exhaust tubes will take up all of that space.

Gonna have to fab up something to make it bolt in there. Hell might keep the tub together longer.

Unread 05-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #79
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Looking good! I check this thread almost daily to keep an eye on progress. Any idea how long before you fire it up? Did you figure out the tranny problem?

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2008, 05:25 PM   #80
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Hopefully should have it running soon. The wiring harness is a complete nightmare. No freakin clue what I'm doing with it. The tranny moves when I take the top cover off, but as soon as I put it back on it freezes up again. I'm sure that i"m just putting it on wrong. I'm going to get one of my buddies to help me remove / install it on Friday hopefully. Maybe an extra set of eyeballs / hands will get it on correctly.

Eddie what do you think about that spot for the pump / filter? Think they will be safe from gobs of u-joint grease? And especially road debris. This will be driven to and from the trail head.
Unread 05-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #81
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Field replacement might be a PITA but I think the stuff will be well protected there.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 05-15-2008, 05:48 PM   #82
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Ordered Headers and emissions delete plates today. LS1 junk is expensive. I miss the $129 junk for the Inline 6. Should be here by next Friday.

Tomorrow I'll be building fuel lines and hopefully working on the harness a bit. I really don't even want to look at it, let alone plug it in to my Jeep. It's going to be one hell of a PITA.

I updated my build sheet in the first post with quite a few items.
Unread 05-15-2008, 06:20 PM   #83
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Dude.. it hurt me just to look at your spreadsheet

Actually, it's not too bad... yet.

I kept a spreadsheet when I started building my old green 71 CJ5. I stopped adding to it at around $35,000...

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 05-15-2008, 06:42 PM   #84
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

I've shopped around for damn near everything. I'm pretty confident that I've kept this decently cheap. Hopefully It doesn't go much higher! I'm scared of how much it will cost to get the thing tuned and dyno'd.
Unread 05-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #85
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Knocked out the fuel system today / yesterday.

This one is for you, Glenn.... Hehehe

Couldn't keep it as close to the tailgate as I wanted to...

Here's the reason why. There's about a 4" sealed space between the back of the tub and where this lip is underneath.

Same deal on the side

Good thing I'm never putting a backseat in again

Picked a different spot for the pump / filter. I hope I never have to do a trail repair on this mofo! Would be a PITA to get to. Right on the driver side frame rail. Hopefully the exhaust won't be too close to it.

Radiator hoses are a bit long.... But looks like they should fit. All I have to do now is to actually get them on. Another PITA chore.

Headers are in the mail, hopefully will be here by next Friday. Then it's back to the wiring harness!! God I really don't want to deal with that mess.
Unread 05-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #86
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

Lookin' good.

Just FYI for future reference, but you're spinning that Teflon wrong. You're going the right direction with the tape, but flip the spool over so that it feeds out from the bottom; as the spool spins on your finger you can apply a nice even pressure with your thumb and keep the tape tight on the threads, vs. feeding it out from the top where you have to hold the tape itself or keep stopping the spool in order to keep the pressure even.
Unread 05-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #87
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Heh. So there is a trick to it. It stuck to the threads decently well, but like you said I had a hard time spinning it and keeping it on there. Thanks
Unread 05-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #88
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Bought a front DS today. $225. About $125 cheaper than I was expecting
Unread 05-19-2008, 05:53 PM   #89
next

Love the project. I'm a big fan of the LS1 as I ran a 2000 Camaro SS that I turned into a bumper draggin' 1/4 mile car. Those motors are awesome as I was able to make 400rwhp with heads, cam and bolt-ons. I ended up building a 408ci LS1 that made close to 900rwhp on nitrous.

Fun stuff. I'm sure your project is going to be a blast.

Another suggestion on the teflon tape... ditch it and get some teflon paste and you'll never have to worry about it.
next is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2008, 09:02 PM   #90
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Those AN fittings are flared right? If so, you shouldn't use teflon on them at all. You rely on the seal at the flare.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.