Project CJ Vette - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project CJ Vette

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #226
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

I think that used to be a bolt...

In other news, I got the rear output to go into high and low range. Not very easily, but it did go in. The front, I got it in low range once, and couldn't get it into high range at all. After the one time, it was stubborn. So I'll be taking it apart at the least. Possibly going to a 4:1 kit.

Edit: Also found this thread about VSS for my motor: http://ls1tech.com/forums/12999878-post7.html

I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #227
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Considering I am guessing that I have 3.55 axle gears,

I just looked at this website, and I currently have a 59:1 final crawl ratio. If I do the 4:1 kit I'll have a 91:1 ratio. So should I go for it?
Unread 12-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #228
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

About a week ago, I took my Dana 300 to the shop that helped me get the LS1 running. I asked him for a quote on a complete rebuild and monsterization: 4 to 1 LoMax gears, 32 spline outputs front and rear, and a full blown rebuild while it's all apart. He says it would be $1625 in parts, and with labor included approx $2200 total before tax. That's including both outputs, the 4:1, and a new case because mine is a 1980, so the gears won't fit.

At this point, I think it's better to just keep my case stock and run it till it breaks, which I think will be quite some time. At that point, I'll either get an Atlas II or something similar. For $2700 shipped, I think it's worth it to get something brand new instead of polishing my 30 year old D300.

Pretty disappointed, I was really looking forward to spending a ton of money and having a bullet proof t-case
Unread 12-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #229
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I think you're thinking is good to wait on getting an Atlas, for that kind of money anyway. Besides the 300 may hold up a long time anyway.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #230
Lt1Scrambler
1983 CJ8 

What radiator hoses did you use?
Unread 12-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #231
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I would keep the 300 till it breaks like stated above. That is a very strong underrated tc that everyone overlooks. I have seen many fsj running those with 38 + " tires(along with other mods). I have recently been looking at the prices of atlas for my next huge expenditure and keep getting derailed by how cheap it would to put a 300 in my LJ instead.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #232
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
I think you're thinking is good to wait on getting an Atlas, for that kind of money anyway. Besides the 300 may hold up a long time anyway.
I agree. Like dayriesw says, it's pretty under rated in stock form.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1Scrambler View Post
What radiator hoses did you use?
I will get back to you on that later today with a part number if I can find one. But I know that AA makes an adapter for the 2 different hose sizes, with a bung welded in for a temp sensor. Here's the response I got from them:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding your project. For our conversion we ran to our local auto parts store for hoses. The lower hose is NAPA P/N 7473. The upper hose is actually two separate hoses spliced together. A 1/2” hole with pipe thread was tapped into this splice for our stock Jeep temperature sending unit. The two hoses were NAPA P/N 8111 and 8563."
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
I would keep the 300 till it breaks like stated above. That is a very strong underrated tc that everyone overlooks. I have seen many fsj running those with 38 + " tires(along with other mods). I have recently been looking at the prices of atlas for my next huge expenditure and keep getting derailed by how cheap it would to put a 300 in my LJ instead.
Only thing I'm thinking about actually doing is a rear output upgrade, since I've got this LS1. I figure if I'm in 2wd on the street I probably won't baby it as much as I will on the trail in 4wd, so the rear is slightly more important in that sense.
Unread 12-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #233
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Got the D300 rebuilt and back inside the Jeep yesterday / today. Buttoned it all up and ready to take it on a test drive tomorrow once the sun comes up.

While I was down there, I couldn't help but notice how much rust was dripping into my eyes. So I found the source of it.

Looks like I'll be shopping for some body mount bushings, and at least 1 new bracket.
Unread 12-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #234
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Filled up the t-case with oil, and drove her around the block just now. It's got a pretty nasty tick in the motor. I don't really think it is exhaust, sounds way too loud to be. Afraid of what I might find when I dig into it...

Also, I really don't think the water pump is working. Either that or the thermostat. The lower hose was warm on the water pump end, but the rest of the hose was cold. Upper hose was ice cold.

Probably won't be driving it very far until I find out what is going on here.
Unread 01-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #235
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

So it would appear that I've been slacking pretty bad on installing a water temp and oil pressure gauge. Here is what I have sitting in my spare room awaiting install:

http://autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail...gid=3353&sid=1

I'm going start collecting parts to remove the passenger side head (gasket and head bolts) so I can drill and tap an existing hole to fit my 3/8" npt adapter for the water temp sender. I may leave the head on the motor and just use an air hose, in which case I'll be following this guy's advice My guide to installing a mech coolant guage on the car. PICS!!! After I'm finished, it should look like this:

As for the oil temp sender, what I would like to do is to install a T fitting in my current oil pressure sender location, re-install the factory sender and add on the new one. Instead of using a 90* bend like this, I'll use a T fitting:

For now I want to focus on the water temperature. I'm pretty sure my water pump and / or my thermostat is not working. This should confirm my suspicions, but mainly provide me with an extremely accurate under hood reading.
Unread 02-07-2013, 05:29 AM   #236
boarderofsnow
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Updates? Doing the same swap in my CJ5 just different Trans/T-Case. Haven't read through this thread entirely but will. Planning on starting my swap in a month or two.
john.purser@4w2h.org
www.4WheeltoHeal.org

"Real Heroes don't wear capes, They wear Dog Tags!"

CHECK OUT 4 WHEEL TO HEAL

4 Wheel to Heal http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f304/...-heal-1338074/

Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/19...iller-1194117/

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/boarderofsnow
boarderofsnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #237
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderofsnow View Post
Updates? Doing the same swap in my CJ5 just different Trans/T-Case. Haven't read through this thread entirely but will. Planning on starting my swap in a month or two.
Not much to update yet, just trying to find time to install the water and oil gauges.

I'll have to check your build and ask you some questions
Unread 02-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #238
boarderofsnow
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
Not much to update yet, just trying to find time to install the water and oil gauges.

I'll have to check your build and ask you some questions
Got through the first 8 pages of yours today. Its good to see not much has changed since you began yours. What I mean by that is contradicting information accross the board. One person says it can be done, another says it can't. Been the story of my life reading through the Pirate4x4 5.3 Jeeps Thread. So I am still working through ideas, parts ordering, and gearing up for the actual swap. Actually seeing the motor in a CJ5 made me feel better though! I know nothing on the front side of the CJ5,6,7,8 are different in most years its just nice to see another CJ5 go through what I am planning.
john.purser@4w2h.org
www.4WheeltoHeal.org

"Real Heroes don't wear capes, They wear Dog Tags!"

CHECK OUT 4 WHEEL TO HEAL

4 Wheel to Heal http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f304/...-heal-1338074/

Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/19...iller-1194117/

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/boarderofsnow
boarderofsnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #239
Jeeptj3429
1995 YJ Wrangler 

this is awesome!
Jeeptj3429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #240
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderofsnow View Post
Got through the first 8 pages of yours today. Its good to see not much has changed since you began yours. What I mean by that is contradicting information accross the board. One person says it can be done, another says it can't. Been the story of my life reading through the Pirate4x4 5.3 Jeeps Thread. So I am still working through ideas, parts ordering, and gearing up for the actual swap. Actually seeing the motor in a CJ5 made me feel better though! I know nothing on the front side of the CJ5,6,7,8 are different in most years its just nice to see another CJ5 go through what I am planning.
Glad I can provide some motivation! I haven't finished your build thread yet (about halfway) but as for the LS swap, my only recommendation on doing different than I did is to use different headers. Mine will cause problems when I install pipes because of my hydraulic clutch.

I REALLY love your fuel cell, and can't wait to see if it will work with the LS. I don't plan on leaving mine where it is, since it only leaves about 6" along the passenger side for storage. One thing I've thought about doing is cutting the floor out completely from wheel well to wheel well and raising it up an inch or two, that way I could use a bigger cell and not lose any clearance. I really like your box tubing under the frame idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeptj3429 View Post
this is awesome!
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.