License plate light / third brake light came in the mail, the frame is something I saw at Wal-Mart / Autozone forever ago and thought "this will be perfect for when I move my license plate frame."
Well I finally bought the Rock Hard 4x4 license plate relocation bracket, with a military discount and after chatting on the phone with the owners for awhile, it was very cheap.
I couldn't get the camera to show the light correctly, it looks blue but it is very white. Lights up the plate perfectly I think. Plus, it's different. Haven't seen many Jeeps (or cars for that matter) with something like this
About a month ago, I was driving the Jeep to the gas station and the front driveshaft decided it didn't want to be under the Jeep anymore. After a week or two of not being able to get the 1 1/8 inch nut off the pinion, I borrowed the neighbor's hi-lift handle and parked the Jeep against the curb. It came off in about 3 seconds. Notice the front right bolt, half of it is still stuck in the yoke.
A few weeks ago, Quadratec was nice enough to ship me a pair of these. One for the Dana 30 and one for the AMC 20. Apparently the splines are different on the pinions so make sure you get the right one.
Since I brought all my tools out, Dakota figured she should bring her ball out, too. That torque wrench is almost as big as the damn drive shaft!
Anyway, got the pinion yoke replaced. Started the torque out at 100 ft lbs, then increased it by 25 each time till I heard the click. Once I got to 200, I stepped it up by 10 ft lbs each time. Randy's ring and pinion say anywhere between 200 and 250 is ok. I got it up to 230 ft lbs. Check out the U-bolts, I threw one of them in so you all could see. The yoke itself is actually beefed up to support the bolt going through the yoke instead of threading into it.
I was going to wait to install the drive shaft until tomorrow so I can clean it up and paint it. But knowing myself I knew I couldn't wait. I wanted to drive it. So I went to install the drive shaft. Until... See on the right side of the yoke? The tab that holds the u-joint cap in place is gone. Looks like I'll be calling Quadratec in the morning!
I followed the advice of JeepTech and torqued the output yoke to 120 ft/lbs.
I couldn't get the slip joint to extend enough, so out came the ratchet strap. It got cut off in the upload, but I strapped it to the rear axle. In hindsight, it probably would have been easier to install this end first.
I moved it about 10 feet in reverse, and then forward again. Just enough to fix the parking job from when I pushed it in. I'll have to fill the transfer case tomorrow, got dark outside before I could fill it up. After that, I think it'll be car wash time around the block.
About 2 weeks ago I got off my hind quarters and stole Joe Dillard's trailer for an hour or two. Towed the CJ over to his place and welded up the brackets that came with my tow bar kit.
At first we thought of cutting off the tabs on the front of the bumper and welding the brackets on top of that. Decided against it since they are pretty huge and pretty handy. Thought about welding them above the bumper for the sake of clearance on the rocks, but then I'd need a huge inverted hitch since it would be so high. Finally decided to mount them below, and make them rock proof. They appear to be pretty un-smash-able to me.
Found some scrap square tubing in Joe's garage, and welded the brackets to them.
Fabbed up an L bracket for the side, and a plate for the rear. Welded it all in and Presto!
After flat towing the Jeep home, couldn't get the D300 back into gear. While towing I had everything open / neutral. Axle hubs, t-case, and trans. Going to see if I can find time this weekend to drop it down, and next weekend I'll take it apart and possibly (hopefully) have a good reason to buy a 4:1 conversion for it.