Project Cheap XJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 09-14-2015, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Pinkyman

Project Cheap XJ

Hey guys! I'm new to the forum, but have been around vehicles all my life. I'm normally a VW guy, but have owned a few jeeps in the past, most recently a 2010 WK that we decided it was time to get rid of it.

So I'm picking up a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic from a friend of mine for $200 later this week. She's been driving it for a year with no issues, but is picking up a new car this week, and she just wants it gone. The 4 wheel drive works, and it's got 260k on the 4.0 in line 6cyl. It needs some love, but it's cheap and will be a good hunting and ice fishing rig. 2 of the windows don't work, and the AC doesn't work, and the heat only comes out of the defrost no matter what setting it's on. I'm sure I'll find 100 other things as I tear into it too. It does have an aftermarket cd player and speakers from what I can see, and it has almost new snow tires on it.

First order of business will be to check the heat and AC, along with fixing the blend door problem. Then I will work on sourcing a fender and everything I will need to repair the front end and make it look decent, along with checking and changing all of the fluids, and finding some new wheels and tires.

I'm sure I'll be posting up looking for parts soon, if anyone has some of what I need laying around!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 09-15-2015, 07:41 PM
ForeverMackin29

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Nice pick up. $200 is a good price. Looks like she needs some serious TLC. Anxious to see what you are able to make of this one. God's speed!
post #3 of 40 Old 09-15-2015, 11:46 PM
98TJcomeonuh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

That's awesome $200 for s running and driving xj!!! Can't beat that. Plus it has a pantera sticker so you know it's a badass jeep. Keep us updated.
post #4 of 40 Old 10-28-2015, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Pinkyman

I guess i should update this in case anyone reads it. I acquired the front end parts the morning before the Jeep got dropped off

Then i got to the dis-assembly and straightening

Then the final assembly took place

Then i got the AC working, and found and repaired the vacuum leak for the blower panel options

Then it came time to figure out why the windows didnt work..... After some electrical chasing, i found this:

I repaired it, and went through all the connections with dielectric grease, and boom, working windows!

Then i got a wild hair up my burro, and decided to rattle can it so it was at least all one color again

After that i undercoated the rock rails, since they were rusty as all get out

Before:

After:

Then i decided it was time for some upgraded tunes (upgraded from the circa 1999 Pioneer that was in it....

Then I decided that i wanted a little better sound for driving around in this thing all winter, so i built a box out of some leftover stuff in the garage

Finally finished

And here she is as she sits today. Im still trying to source a new exhaust since mine is basically missing, and a 2" BB will be in the works in the next couple of weeks.

And i need to replace the transmission pan gasket too, since its got a decent drip to it.

post #5 of 40 Old 10-28-2015, 09:03 AM
beber
2005 WK 

Nice transformation. Not too shabby for $200. Any guess as to how much you have all in it right now?

2005 WK Limited with 2" BB
1997 Wrangler 4 cyl, unknown 3" lift and 33"
post #6 of 40 Old 10-28-2015, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Pinkyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by beber View Post
Nice transformation. Not too shabby for $200. Any guess as to how much you have all in it right now?
Im just at about $500 as it sits. I paid $130 for the front end parts, fender and all that, $100 for the AC compressor, and i probably have another $100 into freon, spray paint, undercoating other and misc bits. The sub and amp and wood and everything i had just laying around, so that didnt cost anything (well, im not counting it on the jeep parts list lol)

Next up will be the 2" shackle and spacer lift, and i need to replace the transmission pan gasket since its got a decent drip to it.
post #7 of 40 Old 10-31-2015, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Pinkyman

Well I picked this up today. I got everything for $150. It includes the 3" coils, rear aals, stainless steel brake lines, transfer case drop, all 4 shocks, sway bar drop brackets, lower control arms, and a rustys adjustable track bar. The guy claims it was installed for a few weeks, the motor blew, and sat for a year and was then removed.

I'm going to get rolling on it tomorrow and see what happens.

post #8 of 40 Old 01-14-2016, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Pinkyman

Well after like 6 hours, the rear is finally done. I was going to start on the front, but I can't get the dang lower control arm bolts loose.

And I had no choice but to do the rear sway bar delete.... I don't think it was doing much good anyways lol

post #9 of 40 Old 01-14-2016, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Pinkyman

It's getting closer every day! By Friday I should achieve full altitude!

I only had time to do the drivers front tonight. Hopefully the passenger side goes just as easy

post #10 of 40 Old 01-14-2016, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Pinkyman

It's finally done! Well, except for the shocks, and the AC still doesn't work lol. But at least it's ready to be back on the road!

post #11 of 40 Old 01-14-2016, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Pinkyman

I took her on her maiden voyage after the lift tonight. I don't have any vibrations or anything like that, but I did notice an occasional growling noise, almost like a bad wheel bearing that seemed to be coming from the rear/middle. I'll have to inspect that further this weekend. Maybe I need to do the t-case drop? Who knows....

I also replaced a bunch of AC o-rings and charged it back up. I'll find out if it's holding or not when I take it hunting this weekend.

So far so good though. I put about 20 miles on, and I'm at 34 in the front, and like 33 3/4 in the rear, and it no longer nose dives every time I hit the brakes lol.

post #12 of 40 Old 01-14-2016, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Pinkyman

She got some more shake down time today. Still no deer yet, but hopefully in the next week!

And I have 150 miles on it or so since the lift. Im still 3/4 shorter in the rear.

post #13 of 40 Old 01-14-2016, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Pinkyman

I think I fixed a major leak today. I was checking the trans pan since it was leaking all over the place. I checked the bolts, and they were ALL at least 3/4 turns loose! Half if them wouldn't even get my ratchet to click when I spun it, they were that loose.

So I snugged them down on the cork gasket, and cleaned off the trans fluid that was coating the entire underside. Hopefully that does the trick! It's got some other leaks, but that was by far the worst.

Here's a before picture where you can see how bad it was leaking and blowing all over everything.

post #14 of 40 Old 01-14-2016, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Pinkyman

I ordered up a light bar today. These ones had good reviews for what they are. I wasn't about to spend more on a light than I spent on the Jeep lol

I ordered up some stickers and a wiring harness too. It should be here by the 18th and it will probably be installed that night!

post #15 of 40 Old 01-14-2016, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Pinkyman

Well I finally got my light bar installed tonight. All in all with the bar and the harness, it was a pretty painless install (other than I didn't have a 3/4" drill bit for the switch).

I need to aim it up a bit, but I'm pretty happy with it so far!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.