project Bumptastic - Page 73 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > project Bumptastic

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 02-10-2014, 05:20 PM   #1081
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3278 View Post
TJdualsport, if you had it all do to over, starting from scratch, where would you start to make a TJ high-speed off-road capable? I'm building a TJ, but my problem in the past - with YJs and XJs - has been that the kind of deep "potholes" you find in the mud-covered forest trails up here in Michigan make it completely impossible to do more than crawl around. [I recently blew the driver seat through the floor of my XJ trying to do a high-speed test run down a forest road here.] I get a lot of conflicting advice - Fox shocks, long arms, 4-link rear - but I'd like to know, from someone who's actually gone through it, what matters the most, starting out?

Shocks, shocks, and shocks. Air bumpstops are nice too.

Unread 02-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #1082
WJDesertRacer
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurdaJs
Shocks, shocks, and shocks. Air bumpstops are nice too.
X2 wheelbase and lots of travel help as well but the battle will always be soft enough for the washboard and chatter but stuff enough to soak up big hits. I had 4" air bumps with stock front and twin bypass rear for a while. The air bumps help you keep your valving a little softer.

IFS WJ dual sport
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wj-west-coast-style-1172706/[/url]
WJDesertRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #1083
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

That's a biiiiig question lol.

It really depends on your end game. Define big holes? Pics??? If I had to redo everything. It would look a lot like the currie/savvy koh rig. Money is the big factor. I'm fortunate to have my own fabrication shop and access to a lot of tools and parts. My current setup would go a long way in most situations. Tuned fox shocks hydro bumps and a lot of seat time. My next version will be coil over longer arms with Blaine's 2cents being implemented. I wasn't gonna do coil overs since coils / shock combos work extremely well. But on my last couple big runs I really pushed the jeep hard and things started bending. So we will see how the tuning goes.... Lol

But yea like said above. Shocks shocks shocks. Wheelbase helps. Rear locker helps.
Unread 02-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #1084

Man, I'll tell you, the thing we have the most problem with is "potholes." Not pits, not trenches, but little holes, pockmarks in the trail. I'll try to take pictures when there's not two feet of snow over the top of them, but we're talking just a foot or two across, but maybe six or eight inches deep, and often steep-sided. It's like hitting a rock, only reversed. And on my YJ and most of my XJs, you hit and they just throw you at the roof - or the roll cage, on the YJ. And nothing I've tried thus far really "smooths" them out. We ended up selling the YJ because it was just impossible to offroad under these kinds of conditions: you could go 10, maybe 15, and that's...not really how I do things.

What I can't figure out - because I get conflicting answers every time I talk to anyone - is where to start. First, no one can tell me if a YJ or CJ - way cheaper to start with, and I like 'em old - can be built to handle these conditions. And then even when people can agree on what platform to start with, some people will tell me it's springs that determine stiffness, some people will tell me shocks, some people arm length. I mean, ultimately, what you want is a longarm rig with long-travel shocks and soft springs, with good pneumatic bumpstops, but if it's going to cost me several grand just to get started, I need to find my *** a new hobby!

So I'm trying to figure out, 1) the best platform to start with [CJ/YJ or TJ], and then 2) what order to go in from there. And I figure, given the intentions of your rig, and its clear capabilities in that regard, you're probably the guy to talk to.
3278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #1085
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3278
Man, I'll tell you, the thing we have the most problem with is "potholes." Not pits, not trenches, but little holes, pockmarks in the trail. I'll try to take pictures when there's not two feet of snow over the top of them, but we're talking just a foot or two across, but maybe six or eight inches deep, and often steep-sided. It's like hitting a rock, only reversed. And on my YJ and most of my XJs, you hit and they just throw you at the roof - or the roll cage, on the YJ. And nothing I've tried thus far really "smooths" them out. We ended up selling the YJ because it was just impossible to offroad under these kinds of conditions: you could go 10, maybe 15, and that's...not really how I do things.

What I can't figure out - because I get conflicting answers every time I talk to anyone - is where to start. First, no one can tell me if a YJ or CJ - way cheaper to start with, and I like 'em old - can be built to handle these conditions. And then even when people can agree on what platform to start with, some people will tell me it's springs that determine stiffness, some people will tell me shocks, some people arm length. I mean, ultimately, what you want is a longarm rig with long-travel shocks and soft springs, with good pneumatic bumpstops, but if it's going to cost me several grand just to get started, I need to find my *** a new hobby!

So I'm trying to figure out, 1) the best platform to start with [CJ/YJ or TJ], and then 2) what order to go in from there. And I figure, given the intentions of your rig, and its clear capabilities in that regard, you're probably the guy to talk to.
In pretty proud of my cross country trip in the ole CJ. It will do 75 mph with one hand on the wheel. Crawl like crazy and can handle 25-35 mph through the sand whoops in JV with no tuning. I run 100 over 250 lb springs on King 14" CO up front. And I will be ditching the rear air shocks for CO. If I started over from scratch, I would use an old TJ for a good frame and strong aftermarket support.
105" + wheel base
Lcog
Front and rear c/o
Good bumps (I haven't used air bumps yet)
Make sure your tie rod and drag link are parallel and equal length for 0 bump steer
Hydro assist

Just my 2 cents
84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 11:16 PM   #1086
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The saying goes.. The bigger the tire the smaller the dezert. Meaning those pot holes need bigger tires to just roll over em. Certain things like what your describing are just ****ty. Even with my nice tuning certains hits just jarred then hell out of me,.
Unread 02-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #1087
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Gigatee
image.jpg

Unread 02-20-2014, 01:46 AM   #1088
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Boooiiiinnnggg
Unread 02-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #1089
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Finally progress on my jeep lol
image.jpg  
Unread 03-01-2014, 08:12 PM   #1090
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

More progress
image.jpg  
Unread 03-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #1091
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Some grinding/ prepping
image.jpg  
Unread 03-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #1092
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Last one...
image.jpg  
Unread 03-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #1093
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Nice to see some jeep action
Unread 03-01-2014, 09:58 PM   #1094
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Haha nooo ****.
Unread 03-01-2014, 10:06 PM   #1095
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking of redoing my fenders like this ish what do you think.... I have a arc bender.
image.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.