Project: Blue Steel (99 XJ) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project: Blue Steel (99 XJ)

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
Y2KGCLIM
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Project: Blue Steel (99 XJ)

Well, I haven't been on here in a while, but I decided it was time to start a build thread here. This is going to be a long one...but here goes.
This was my old WJ:

But I got tired of all the issues I had with it. At 180k miles, it needed quite a bit. I always wanted a Cherokee, so I sold my WJ, and bought this:

Which is where my build thread starts. Found this one, and bought it with 133k miles for $3500. Was one of my favorite colors for the XJ, as well. Sold my WJ for $5800, which left me with plenty of money for a proper lift, tires, wheels, etc. I ended up going with IRO. Came back from vacation in Denver to find this sitting my garage:

After only being able to work on it for an hour or so each day after work...about 3 weeks later I had this (had zero help, limited hand tools, and a 2 car garage):

After that, did basic maintenance. Diff fluits, rotor, cap, plugs, air filter, etc. Also, ordered some Neon injectors, and installed those.

Had some issues with the tires rubbing on the end-caps. So, I removed those, and installed some Hella's.

Surfing craigslist, and came across a Warrior Products roof basket mounted on some Yakima rain gutter bars for $125, so I picked that up.

However, the paint was fading, and there was some surface rust. So, I removed it so I could sand it down, and repaint it. A couple poser flex shots:

Surfing craigslist again, and came across an MTX Audio amp and Alpine deck. Guy was asking $225 for both. I offered $125, and to my surprise he accepted it. Installed:

Also picked up a CB Radio:

Picked up some tint for my sidemarkers, and signals. Painted & Jeep cleaned:

Trying to track down my terrible mileage, I removed the exhaust manifold (what a HUGE PITA) and found it was cracked.

Had it welded up, and reinstalled it.

Had the front skid-plate off one day, and decided to paint some teeth on it. Figured if I didn't like it, I could sand it down, and re-paint it black again. Despite the overspray...I like it.

Originally, I mounted the cb radio antenna to the plastic rear bumer end-cap (had it grounded though). Eventually I got tired of it, and made my own antenna mount. This is what i ended up with:

My side molding was peeling, faded, and just looked all around crappy. So, I decided one day that I was going to just remove it. This is really the only picture I have of it removed, so far anyway.

Picked up an overhead console off of craigslist and installed it:

Didn't like the fact that the color didn't match, so I took it apart, removed the fabric and adhesive:

Currently my headliner looks like this:

However, after epoxying the mounting tabs back on (whomever removed it from the prior Jeep, just pulled it down, instead of sliding it forward, which broke the mounting tabs) it broke again. I have another one on the way, and will update pictures as soon as I receive, and install it.

Most recent picture I have, is after I tinted my tail lights:

That's all for now...questions/ comments are always appreciated.

2000 WJ Limited 4.7 QD. SOLD
Y2KGCLIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
Amills

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, Great lookin cherokee! Nice work! I also like what it says on your stereo! Atreyu is my favorite band
Amills is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Y2KGCLIM
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks! It's coming together! Yea, Atreyu is one of my favorites as well.
Unread 08-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
Pre5tig3
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Nice build man I like how clean it is I will be building my next one more like this.
Pre5tig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
Y2KGCLIM
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks! That was my main goal, to build something that was extremely capable, yet clean at the same time. Next few things on the list: ZJ Rear disc swap, lockers & front and rear bumpers.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.