Project BlackBolt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project BlackBolt

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 06-10-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
Mcjeeperson
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Project BlackBolt

So, I probably should have started this build thread months ago as I am already deep into the acquiring of needed parts, but here goes.

The original Jeep is a bone stock 88 YJ 2.5l ax5 that I acquired back in 2003. When the ax5 diarrhea-ed out on me in 2005, I swapped in a Chevy 4.3 / nv3500 / np241. Then the unfinished swap sat for 8 years in my fathers back yard.

The plan:

Rip out the old swap.

Install a turbo charged 3.0l Mercedes 5 cylinder DIESEL. Otherwise known as the MB OM617.

Behind that I am swapping an AW4 automatic trans and NP231 tcase. Possible paddle shifters on the AW4.

2 - 2.5" suspension lift on D44's rolling 32" tires

Completely custom brushed stainless "CJ style" dash board with SPEEDHUT gauges.

Finish the paint in matte dark grey or "seal grey" as my wife calls it.

That should be it for now. I am extremely limited on my budget so all parts will be sourced from junkyards and wheelin' and dealin' on Craigslist. Everything else will be garage made "old school hot rod style". The AW4 to Mercedes Diesel adapter will be the only thing bought new from mercedesdiesel4x4.com. Pics to follow!

Mcjeeperson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
Mcjeeperson
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The purpose of this rig will be a frequently driven if not DD with weekend trips in snow and mud trails around the northwest. That's why I am keeping the suspension as low as possible and tires not too big but aggressive enough to be capable. Also, one of the biggest functions of the Jeep will be weekend fishing trips with my family. I already have a killer custom made boat/canoe rack I built with my uncle years ago.
Some claim to achieve as high as 30mpg's with the Mercedes turbo diesel in a jeep. I will be happy with anything around 25mpg.
Unread 07-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #3
Mcjeeperson
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just bought a '84 Mercedes 300TD wagon today. Many hours to come ripping out the turbo diesel and parting out the car. I'm hoping to break even on the price of the car from parts. Crossing my fingers.
Unread 07-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Following. My planned swap is stalled due to low funds at this time. Still collecting parts but may be a year or more before i'll be ready to start swapping the deisel in

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-little-yj-1127802/
nibstools is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
TrailJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Did the wagon not work out?

'06 LJ
TrailJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
Mcjeeperson
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailJ
Did the wagon not work out?

'06 LJ
I bought the wagon as a engine donor. I will be parting everything out except the engine. I lucked out and found a MBD wagon that had been in a collision so it was dirt cheap, but the miles are kind of high (387k) : (

However being on a tight budget this was a win for me. The diesel was well maintained and has minimal blow by. Some day when the budget is a little stronger I will find another OM617 with lower mileage that I can tinker with and build some torque.
Unread 07-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
Mcjeeperson
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I already have a buyer for many of the parts off of the wagon. A co-worker has a similar Mercedes and needs window motors, interior / exterior trim pieces, and other random odds and ends. All I really need to get out of this car is $400 for the 4x4mercedes.com om617 to AW4 adapter. Selling anything over $400 in mercedes parts will go to the nickel and dime parts needed to finish the Jeep swap.
Unread 07-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
TrailJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sweet doesn't sound too stalled out to me sounds like you are close to getting that and fitting the engine

'06 LJ
TrailJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No it mine that is stalled. I also adopted a pound puppy and have been devoting a lot of my time training him.http://emob1181.photobucket.com/albu...g?t=1371765154

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-little-yj-1127802/
nibstools is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 03:24 AM   #10
Mcjeeperson
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It took me over 10hrs working on it through out the week but I finally got the donor Mercedes diesel engine pulled yesterday. One om617 ready to pressure wash and drop into my jeep.

A suggestion to anyone who needs to pull this engine: Clean out the engine mount 8mm Allen head under the frame with a pick then tap the Allen wrench into the head so it is fully seated. I lost a lot of time by rounding the head out then having to drill the head off.
image-3338065111.jpg

Unread 09-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
wellvrsd
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Another important tip for pulling this engine is to unbolt the torque converter from the flex plate before you pull the engine. It's not a fun task with everything hanging off the cherry picker. Ask me how I know. Sorry it's a bit late for you man. Maybe it will help the next guy. You access the bolts from the hole in the bottom of the engine near the back btw.
wellvrsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #12
Mcjeeperson
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Lol! Yeah that would have been smart. Still, its good to know. Guess I will be heading for that battle next.
Unread 09-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #13
Crawlerkid
1983 CJ7 

Also, be careful separating the tranny from the engine. It's easy to damage the output seal Ive heard.

Another thing I've learned from my 617 swap into my CJ, is that the MB flywheel is externally balanced, and your jeep one will need to be balanced to that spec to keep the engine from shaking around. The other option is to send the rotating assembly off to be balanced, and just slap a jeep flywheel on it. That's what I'll be doing when I go stage 2 on my jeep haha
Crawlerkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
Mcjeeperson
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlerkid

Another thing I've learned from my 617 swap into my CJ, is that the MB flywheel is externally balanced, and your jeep one will need to be balanced to that spec to keep the engine from shaking around.
I've heard a few things on this. Some say all 617 engines are internally balanced. Others have said that if there are no "witness marks" on the MB flywheel it does not have to be balanced. However, I suppose it is better to be safe than sorry.
Either way I am using an automatic aw4 so will the weight of a flex plate really make a difference?
Unread 09-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #15
Crawlerkid
1983 CJ7 

The general consensus is that some are very close from the factory, so it's hard to notice, while others are quite a bit off and will vibrate bad if the matching flywheel isn't weighted to match.

The weight of the torque converter or flywheel won't be an issue, as it doesn't really come into play in the sense of weight that I'm referring to. I'm talking about the weight difference from side to side in the flywheel or torque converter. This difference needs to match the weight difference on the MB flywheel, and be in the correct location(s)

For a random example, if the MB flywheel was found to be weighted 20grams heavier at 40* past TDC on the flywheel, your assembly would have to be weighted to match this.

You can split hairs, but I put the flywheel on without balancing it, and yes it shakes, but whatever.... It's a jeep. Eventually I'll pull it all apart because I'll get bored or want more torque and when I do I'll send the rotating assembly off to be balanced.
Crawlerkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.