Wow, been gone so long that I had to re read my thread. since last time i got on, I've finished the 5.3 and started it up, the only issue was that i didn't have the computer grounded properly, once that was fixed, it started with a rawr. I decided to cut all the brackets off my ten bolt and install coil overs, it will be a little bit before i do the same to the rear, im anxious to drive it. I cut my cage apart to have it done better by Scott from hellorado customs when im ready. here are some pictures.
Initial drive was today to see if it would even move. It did, but the clutch doesn't disengage so it was pretty nerve racking having the jeep jump back when it started. I'm having weird revving issues and my idler screw needs to be adjusted. I'll have to research the revving issues, but it may be that my computer ground isn't top notch. The clutch i think is the throw out bearing being short, but im going to try to just adjust the push rod on the slave cylinder.
How have I missed this? I gotta give you credit for taking on so many projects at once. Just the engine/tranny swap was enough to keep my mind loaded with info, I couldnt imagine thinking about axles and suspension as well. Guitars look great too
It has been pretty hectic, the hardest was not being able to drive it between under takings. I'm do desprete to drive it im tempted not to coil over the rear end and leaf it coil so i can finish the summer driving it.
Now im actually having to take pause because the project has drawn so much local attention i have people bringing their jeeps to my house to work on.
I wish I got better before pics of his jeep, I lowered it about 2 inches, cleaned up front axle, and a few other things and it's a much better looking/running jeep now.
But on to betty, Here is her engine, I'll try to get a better picture of the wiring later, it honestly looks pretty stockish I think .
I realized today that I didn't keep my stock steering pressure line and the one I been trying to install was the chevy one. So I went to AutoZone and bought the stock 13 dollar one and get to install it tomorrow. I sold my 4 point harness seats in a deal with my buddy because I'm low on funds. It will get my exhaust, alignment, and rear driveshaft done. Unfortunately i am going to have to french my rear frame for my coil overs, that being said I'm running 16 inch coil overs and that means that I need a lot more stock tower than any seller I can fine, so I sent something I drawn up to TOMB-RAIDER and he will cut it out for me when he gets a chance i suppose.
Over the course of the next few weeks I will be back updating more because I realize I have been using this as more of a journal of activity. That being said, I have done some pretty amazing tech on this jeep to include extending frame forward of motor mounts to maintain my stock steering box, installing body mounts for lift instead of taller bushings. When i extended the front frame I also raised it an inch to bring the grill up as well. I reused my stock leaf spring mounts , just cut them off, plate them with scrap steel, and used them for my lower link mounts. I feel some of this it would be good to maybe emphasize simply because it's not seen too terribly often. Plus I am running two closed system brakes on my rear axle for hand braking. So keep an eye out, this thread is about to become something worth crawling.
Here are the lower mounts. If you take a look at leaf spring mounts they aren't fully welded, they have "teeth" that are welded. I cut them off at those teeth and welded on 1/4 flat stock. Maybe 5 bucks in lowes steel and whatever the welding wire cost. Drilled the 3/4 holes for my 1.25 Heimz and called it good.
I welded them on the side both front and rear and added my upper mounts on the rear and gussets on the front