Powr's TJ thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Powr's TJ thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineCHASSIS SAVER™ Labor Day 2 for 1 Sale!!!JKS Flex Connect in Actions!

Unread 10-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #61
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Followup on the General AT tires.
They ride well on the pavement, but are noisy. At least I feel they are noisy. They're just as bad, or worse than the BFG AT as far as noise. On the trail, they do ok. I probably wont use them again. They hang on to rocks like crazy and dont always let them go once on pavement. Theres still some embedded in the treads. As far as traction goes, They're average, I would say. They like to dig into soft soil/rocks mix and withouth the lockers, that could be an issue. The BFG AT was better as far as this is concerned. I think the large, flat tread of the BFG gives better traction. The Generals do well on the rocks though, as they seem to grab well. Its similar, of course to their pavement handling. I did some rubicon trekking from the tahoe side, and they did ok on the dusty rocks, but did very well on the clean granite. Overall, I would say theyre ok, but since I got them for a great price, I'll use them out, but wont pay full price for a set. I don't think they're worth over $200 each. I paid half that and am marginally impressed. They are quite heavy as has been said in some of the review threads. The sidewalls are pretty weak. Had one go flat from a bent valve stem, and it burned through the sidewalls on both sides of the tire in a matter of seconds. just long enough to pull over and stop.

Unread 10-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #62
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Also, the aluminum diff covers that come on the G2 axle assemblies look terrific, but if you even think you're going to have contact with them, replace them with iron covers asap! Both the front and rear diff covers got boogered up pretty badly(to the point of leakage at the plug.) I replaced them with iron ones, and had worse contact, and didnt hurt them in the least. Well worth the added cost.
Unread 11-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #63
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Some "mall crawling!"
img_0028.jpg

Unread 07-31-2014, 04:25 PM   #64
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Some new goodies to test for Drake Off road.

Locking hood hold downs...

image-27848531.jpg

Locking gas cap...

image-540905364.jpg

I'm curious to find out how well the locking mechanisms hold up to trail dust. Within the next couple/few weeks, another component will be installed for durability testing. I expect to complete a full write up on it as I'm doing the work.
Unread 05-07-2015, 07:58 AM   #65
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Finally pulled the trigger on the Banks Sidewinder turbo system. Against the advice of someone whose opinion I do value, though. We'll see how good this kit is, and how well it does for me. This desert heat should put it and the Jeep through its paces. Hopefully, I don't assemble a grenade! There are some pretty scary warnings in the install and user manual. It is required(highly advised) that a fuel pressure test is conducted, and compression tests on all cylinders be performed before even starting the install. I am confident that I can complete the install myself, but I know it will take a little bit of time. I MUST be certain that everything is completed absolutely correctly! I want this thing to work well, therefore, I will be following the install instructions to the very T! More updates with images, video links, and before/after performance numbers to follow in the next few weeks. Yes, it will take that long for me due to my work schedule, and the required "break-in" period. Essentially, the Jeep has to be driven "softly" for a full tank of fuel. The idea is to keep the boost and RPM low for several driving cycles to allow the PCM to learn the new map and help prevent the CEL from coming on. We'll see!
img_0111.jpg   img_0112.jpg  
Unread 05-09-2015, 10:51 PM   #66
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Got most of the kit installed today. Discovered that it will not work with the savvy under armor kit! The oil and trans skid plate mounting bracket is directly in the path of the exhaust turbo inlet tube. Bummer! I'll have to see if I can cut or bend the bracket to clear the tube. It's doubtful, but we'll see.
So far, the instructions are fairly decent, but are lacking some better angle pictures of certain things. It would have been helpful to have pictures of some of the parts with their part numbers as well. More updates to come as I button it up and start driving it.
Unread 05-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #67
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Some pics. For some reason, it's forcing me to do only one pic per post.

image-1243432127.jpg

This is obviously looking up from underneath facing toward the front to show the exhaust crossover. I used header wrap to cover the turbo exhaust to the tailpipe exit to help reduce under hood heat.
Unread 05-11-2015, 11:29 AM   #68
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The air intake box...

image-3682109008.jpg
Unread 05-11-2015, 11:31 AM   #69
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The turbo itself...

image-1480124230.jpg

It's pretty buried in there.
Unread 05-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #70
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

A view from the rear looking forward to show the oil line and some more plumbing...

image-1300100118.jpg

I used as much heat shielding as I possibly could. May be detrimental, but seemed like a good idea.
Unread 05-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #71
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The throttle body...

image-1854617095.jpg
Unread 05-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #72
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting bit of tech info from Banks today. They recommend AGAINST wrapping the stainless tubing for the exhaust, saying, "Regardless of climate it is never a bad idea to add more and cooler air to the cylinders so we would say you are on the right track as far as wanting to add an intercooler. We will be releasing a Techni-Cooler for those vehicles in the near future so you may want to mention this to your Power Consultant.We DO NOT recommend using heat wrap on any T-409 stainless steel components as this tends to make the tubing brittle and more susceptible to cracking. The key is not to trap the heat in the source but to shield the component you want to protect from the heat."

Hmm, should I remove the wrap, or just replace the piping when it fails? I imagine that removing the wrap would DRASTICALLY increase the under hood temperatures. I don't know, but I think it's a better idea to just replace the damaged piping once it fails. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Unread 05-16-2015, 10:56 PM   #73
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Whelp, I removed the wrapping from the pipe. I used the wrapping to cover a few wiring harnesses and sensors that I get were too close, and I actually feel better about the heat.
Took the Jeep on a relatively short trail today. It was a very simple trail, no obstacles nor deep ruts. To give an idea, I ran 15MPH pretty much the whole trail up and down. It didn't get very hot according to the gauges. I am still smelling something burning, but I'm sure it's just everything breaking in. I've checked everything near the turbo and the exhaust and found nothing showing signs of a lot of heat.
The real treat was how it handles on the highway. Going over the hill to pahrump went VERY well. Was able to stay in fifth gear the whole way over the hill at roughly half throttle. It bogged down in sixth, which was expected. Coming back out of pahrump, I was able to stay in sixth the whole way over without down shifting!
Unread 05-18-2015, 09:32 AM   #74
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice rig, do you plan on installing the Savvy under armor again? Hoping they come out with the intercooler sooner than later.

“If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend six sharpening my axe.”- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2015, 10:47 AM   #75
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, I plan on modifying the mounting bracket one way or another in order to get that front skid plate back under there. I think it will just be a matter of laying ended there for a little while to figure it out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.