Powr's TJ thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Powr's TJ thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-14-2013, 12:13 AM   #31
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'll post some pictures later, I'm tired tonight. I didn't take pictures during the installs, but I will do a write up with instructions of sorts later on and post that. I hope many will find the instructions useful...

So I woke up early this morning all excited to start working on the axle swaps. Set up the GoPro on the front fender of the Jeep(wanted to get video of speed from point to point before and after, just to see how much difference there is) Hopped in the Jeep, turned the key to nothing. no beeps, buzzers, lights, clicks...NOTHING! Crap! so I roll down the driveway thinking I'll just pop start it. NOTHING! So I jump start it, and do my thing. Pull it into the garage and get to work. Parts are flying off, bolts are turning, components are pulling right off. Awesome! Turdy five out in the driveway, and new giant D44 under the Jeep! Things are really rolling. Upper control arms check! Lower control arms, check! A little back talking from the Jeep getting the track bar in, but it was difficult last time. Ok, time for the brakes. Whoah, the factory breather bolt wont fit. Crap! Off to "VatoZone"(thanks marn) and ask the clerk if they have axle breather parts or brake fittings. I get the standard "year, make, model" questions. I tell them it wont matter, and they look at me like I'm in there asking for blinker fluid! I explain the situation, and the D-bagg cont behind the counter says they have all that stuff behind the counter, but it would be a needle in a haystack trying to find it in their bins. I just look at her and say "Wow, thanks for the help!" off to mcfadden-dale, they're closed! Off to 4wp, they send me to Napa, they dont have anything, so I go to the pep-boys "performance shop" and they at least had the breather fitting, but nothing that would work right. Now I'm pished off! Oh, and the parking brake cable is different, but that becomes important later. Get home and decide to just keep on going. Start on the front. Again parts are flying off the TURDY in the front. everything came off with no issues, and the D44 went underneath like a glove. It's huge in there! Upper control arms, check! Lower control arms, check! Springs, check! Ball joints, Check! Alright, this one's going to go in flawlessly, about time! Get everything tightened down and go to insert the driveshaft. Uh-oh, it wont compress enough to go into the yoke! Crap! Since the first issues with the brakes, I had been getting tech info from Garza(thanks by the way) I didn't even think about a larger axle being bigger! rofl! Uhhh, its a larger yoke, so it will be longer(essentially Garza's answer) I dont know why it didnt register in my mind that a bigger axle would actually be bigger! So then, out comes the front driveshaft! I'm driving this ish TONIGHT!!! Get it all back together, fill the diffs with oil(VERY, VERY important step not to be forgotten), and get the rear brakes hooked up and bled(still no parking brake) Move the jack and tools out of the way, hop in to take off on the maiden voyage, and "CLICK!" GODD@MM!T! Roll down the driveway, and can't pop it. Jump it again, and off I go. Cruising around the neighborhood, as casually as I can, because I really want to just MASH the gas, but the gears aren't broken in yet. I get about a 1/4 mile from the house, and after shifting to second, hear a pop from the front(I think its the track bar, I've heard it before on rocky gap) I then decide a day's a day, and drive it to the house and up into the garage. It is slightly slanted(of course) so I have to creep into the spot so I dont hit my benches, but leave room to close the door behind me. I basically shut it down as I let the clutch out making it slightly lurch forward just perfectly to fit, and not hit anything. I even remembered to not pull on the parking brake handle! lol Overall, it went smoothly, but I do have a few things I need to address, but I can drive it in an emergency. Time to get moving on a lift so I can be 4WD again! lol. I've got enough to do to keep me busy on it for at least a couple weeks though. Thanks again for letting me bug you Garza.

Unread 04-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #32
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Where did you get he mojave decal?
Unread 04-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #33
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Got the mojave and lizard decals off of eBay.
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #34
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The latest, installed pics of the new axles. The front driveshaft is getting some bench warming time while I save for the lift. I don't see the sense in shortening it, just to replace it in the near future. Should be by around mid-June when I get the lift ordered/installed. That's going to be a fun weekend for sure. after doing the axles, I don't see it being that big of a deal.
dscn0973.jpg   dscn0974.jpg   dscn0975.jpg   dscn0976.jpg   dscn0977.jpg  

Unread 04-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #35
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Cool rig, looks like you have a great base to start with!

“If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend six sharpening my axe.”- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #36
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, Heres what she looks like as of now.
dscn0978.jpg  
Unread 04-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #37
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Can you tell I NEED a lift? That gas tank skid has been on the ground quite a bit more often than it should!
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #38
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Installed the body lift and motor mount lift...
Before and after photos...
img_0031_2.jpg   img_0032_2.jpg   img_0034_2.jpg   img_0035_2.jpg  
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #39
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

...And that last photo shows my air line to the air chuck. Its just moved there temporarily as I'm going to be removing it and running a 3/8 stainless line to my air chucks front and rear in the very near future. I've got the tubing and the fittings already, just need to make the time to get out there and bend the tubing for it.

Also, update on the axles. The front upper track bar mount is contacting the G2 differential cover, so its going to see even less road time. Every bump on the driver side of the jeep causes contact, so it will be for emergency trips only. It gives me more reason to hurry up on the lift and other odds and ends.

Body lift and Motor mount lift caused a bit of a vibration at around 10-20 MPH, but I think theres enough adjustment in the rear axle mounts to adjust the pinion angle enough to correct that. If not, even LESS driving time for it until lifted. If I have to, I'll just park it and do the SYE and teralow while I save for the lift. Going with the Currie 4", and am currently out of cash, so I need to get the save on!
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:57 PM   #40
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Picked this up off of ebay the other day...
img_0037_2.jpg   img_0038_2.jpg  
Unread 04-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #41
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

This is what I've got so far...
img_0039_2.jpg   img_0040_2.jpg   img_0041_2.jpg   img_0042_2.jpg   img_0043_2.jpg  

img_0044_2.jpg  
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:46 AM   #42
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I abandoned that spot and mounted it on the firewall. Pics to come later. In the mean time...
New gas tank skid!!!!

image-1237303106.jpg

And to show the better clearance....

image-421404667.jpg

This thing is a condom fit! The fuel tank is literally "pressed" into this skid "tub." I was terrified I was going to crush a fuel line on top it's so close to the body tub. The 1.5" body lift and motor mount lift are also installed, so this gives me and extra inch or so of ground clearance at the tank skid. Doesn't sound like much, but it does make a big difference. Looks sexy too!
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:50 AM   #43
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Here's where that fuse block ended up. It's a little tight on the bottom, but it works well there. Used 4ga wire for the power and ground to the battery. It's likely overkill, but I had it laying around, and don't want to worry about overloading the wire if I ever want to have like five sets of lights on simultaneously. Lol
image-303278213.jpg  
Unread 06-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #44
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The operating table and parts...

image-2973292430.jpg

image-1345512876.jpg

image-4254271385.jpg

image-2714568626.jpg

image-3067677410.jpg

image-2106935507.jpg
Unread 06-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #45
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Nice lift kit!!
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.