Yessir. Funny thing is, your avatar....we emailed Pabst about using their emblem for our logo. We made some little changes to make it read Poor Boy Racing. Unfortunately, thanks to many other people NOT asking for permission, they could not grant us permission.
More stuff showed up in the mail today! With the help of Blaine over at Black Magic Brakes we should have no trouble stopping now. One set of Black Magic Brake Pads...Check. One set of Centric Premium Rotors...Check.
This weekend part of the Poor Boys made the trip to visit our new friends with Petty Cash Racing. We spent quite a few hours hanging out with them and looking over their rig. Not only did they let us check out the race car, they answered many questions and gave some good insight and tips on building.
After meeting up with Petty Cash, we were feeling pretty inspired and motivated to start some work when we got home. We decided to start installing the new gears and lockers. Here is Brian getting the D44 all ready for a set of 5.38 gears and a Yukon Grizzly locker!
Sean disassembling the 9" so it can get some fresh new 5.43s and a spool locker
Sean scrubbing away at the 9". These junkyard axles were filthy and caked with dirt and gear oil. It is still sitting in a bucket "degreasing."
Sean again...putting the ring gear on the Yukon Grizzly locker for the HP44.
We didn't get terribly far because it got pretty late and we were lacking a few tools that were necessary. The plan is to get the gears finished up throughout the week, and then actually start getting everything fabbed up and slid under the jeep. We hope to have this bad boy rolling by the end of next weekend.
No pictures today, but last night we pretty much finished regearing the front HP44 with the 5.38 gears and Yukon Grizzly locker. Tonight will hopefully be the completion or near completion of the rear 9" 5.43 gears and spool locker. This will keep us on track to get the axles set up under the jeep this weekend.
Also, by the end of the week we should hopefully have our Yukon chromoly shafts and superjoints here So, it shouldnt be long before the axles are all buttoned up!
This weekend we started mocking the front axle up. We are pretty close to having it the way we want. Just need to modify a couple of brackets due to contact issues when cycling the axle. Overall, fitment wasn't too bad. We did run into quite a bit of modifying on the driver side. Since this axle came out of a leaf sprung ford, it had a cast perch near the diff where the leaf spring mounts. Thankfully everything lined up to where we "modified" (i.e. cut up the coil spring perch) to make the coil spring perch part of this cast perch. Doesn't make much sense I know...so I will try to get a picture of what I am talking about later. In the mean time...here is what we have so far.
Tacking the brackets on out in the driveway.
Playing around with it while it's under the jeep
This is the best picture I have of the driver side spring perch. I circled what I was talking about in red. We basically cut the mount we had to fit around the perch that was there...essentially making the factory perch park of our coil perch. The heights were identical so it really couldnt have worked any better.