Poor Boy Racing: Everyman Challenge XJ Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Poor Boy Racing: Everyman Challenge XJ Build

NEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #31
PoorBoyRacing
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
An EMC XJ build? I'll be watching this one!
Yessir. Funny thing is, your avatar....we emailed Pabst about using their emblem for our logo. We made some little changes to make it read Poor Boy Racing. Unfortunately, thanks to many other people NOT asking for permission, they could not grant us permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisI View Post
Subbed. I want to see how this turns out
Stay tuned and thanks for the sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
Oh man, subbed. This is awesome.
Thanks for the Sub, sir!

PoorBoyRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #32
PoorBoyRacing
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I almost forgot to include this super exciting pic of...our brake calipers!! Hopefully it wont be long before we have a nice set of Black Magics on these!

Unread 08-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #33
PoorBoyRacing
1987 XJ Cherokee 

More stuff showed up in the mail today! With the help of Blaine over at Black Magic Brakes we should have no trouble stopping now. One set of Black Magic Brake Pads...Check. One set of Centric Premium Rotors...Check.

Unread 08-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #34
PoorBoyRacing
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Another large package showed up today and here is what we've got to show off...Thank you Rockridge4WD for your help and support!!

For the rear Ford 9" axle we are are running a 5.43 Yukon Ring and Pinion set, USA Standard Master Install Kit, and a 31 spline spool...

For the front HP44 axle we are running a 5.38 USA Standard Ring and Pinion set, USA Standard Master Install Kit, Yukon Drive Flanges, and a Yukon Grizzly Locker!!

I've shown you all the parts so I guess it is time to get some actual work done on the rig
Unread 08-11-2013, 11:52 PM   #35
PoorBoyRacing
1987 XJ Cherokee 

This weekend part of the Poor Boys made the trip to visit our new friends with Petty Cash Racing. We spent quite a few hours hanging out with them and looking over their rig. Not only did they let us check out the race car, they answered many questions and gave some good insight and tips on building.

After meeting up with Petty Cash, we were feeling pretty inspired and motivated to start some work when we got home. We decided to start installing the new gears and lockers. Here is Brian getting the D44 all ready for a set of 5.38 gears and a Yukon Grizzly locker!

Sean disassembling the 9" so it can get some fresh new 5.43s and a spool locker

Sean scrubbing away at the 9". These junkyard axles were filthy and caked with dirt and gear oil. It is still sitting in a bucket "degreasing."

Sean again...putting the ring gear on the Yukon Grizzly locker for the HP44.

We didn't get terribly far because it got pretty late and we were lacking a few tools that were necessary. The plan is to get the gears finished up throughout the week, and then actually start getting everything fabbed up and slid under the jeep. We hope to have this bad boy rolling by the end of next weekend.
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #36
duc202
1997 TJ Wrangler 

definitely watching this
duc202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #37
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looking good guys!

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, Id spend six sharpening my axe.- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #38
brum

Thats funny. Couple of my local buddies who I race SCCA autocross with had a "team" name of Pure Bull**** Racing with the logo edited also. Now they're the Crank Yankers lol.

Cool build
brum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #39
PoorBoyRacing
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc202 View Post
definitely watching this
Thanks duc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty762 View Post
Looking good guys!
Thanks rusty !

Quote:
Originally Posted by brum View Post
Thats funny. Couple of my local buddies who I race SCCA autocross with had a "team" name of Pure Bull**** Racing with the logo edited also. Now they're the Crank Yankers lol.

Cool build
Popular logo I guess Thanks for following though!
Unread 08-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #40
PoorBoyRacing
1987 XJ Cherokee 

No pictures today, but last night we pretty much finished regearing the front HP44 with the 5.38 gears and Yukon Grizzly locker. Tonight will hopefully be the completion or near completion of the rear 9" 5.43 gears and spool locker. This will keep us on track to get the axles set up under the jeep this weekend.

Also, by the end of the week we should hopefully have our Yukon chromoly shafts and superjoints here So, it shouldnt be long before the axles are all buttoned up!
Unread 08-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #41
PoorBoyRacing
1987 XJ Cherokee 

This weekend we started mocking the front axle up. We are pretty close to having it the way we want. Just need to modify a couple of brackets due to contact issues when cycling the axle. Overall, fitment wasn't too bad. We did run into quite a bit of modifying on the driver side. Since this axle came out of a leaf sprung ford, it had a cast perch near the diff where the leaf spring mounts. Thankfully everything lined up to where we "modified" (i.e. cut up the coil spring perch) to make the coil spring perch part of this cast perch. Doesn't make much sense I know...so I will try to get a picture of what I am talking about later. In the mean time...here is what we have so far.
Tacking the brackets on out in the driveway.

Playing around with it while it's under the jeep

This is the best picture I have of the driver side spring perch. I circled what I was talking about in red. We basically cut the mount we had to fit around the perch that was there...essentially making the factory perch park of our coil perch. The heights were identical so it really couldnt have worked any better.
d44.jpg
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #42
PoorBoyRacing
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Part of our latest order came in last night...the rest of it should be in this afternoon.

Yukon Superjoints!
Unread 08-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #43
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome. Love watching the EMC builds.
Unread 08-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #44
PoorBoyRacing
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mJUSTINm View Post
Awesome. Love watching the EMC builds.
Make sure to keep watching...we still have a lot ahead of us!!
Unread 08-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #45
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

sub'd...cool stuff good luck guys
AngryTJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.