Poor Boy Racing: Everyman Challenge XJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Poor Boy Racing: Everyman Challenge XJ Build

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
PoorBoyRacing
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Poor Boy Racing: Everyman Challenge XJ Build

Hey everyone,

I would like to invite you all to watch as my team and I build a 1987 Cherokee to race in the Everyman Challenge in February 2014. Here we will talk about what we are doing, what we will be doing, and what we have done. If you have any input about our rig, do not hesitate to post your comments or suggestions. This isn't just a build thread...but also a learning thread. We are trying to make it a point that you do not need the biggest bank account and most friends to participate in this race. Enjoy!

Last edited by PoorBoyRacing; 07-16-2013 at 05:02 PM..
PoorBoyRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
PoorBoyRacing
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Here is what we are starting with. This jeep was originally owned by one of the current team members. He then sold it to his roommate who later moved to Idaho. He was having some issues with it...and that is when we decided to pursue the Everyman Challenge and bought the Cherokee back.

Here is the jeep loaded up for the long tow back from Idaho:

Here we are back in California, ready to work:

Unread 07-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
PoorBoyRacing
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Time to gut it...nothing but the essentials:

No longer sitting on it's own:

Unread 07-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
PoorBoyRacing
1987 XJ Cherokee 

The first parts arrived! XJ Chassis Channel Reinforcement from RuffStuff. This should help strengthen that unibody. Chassis Reinforcement

Cleaning out the engine compartment:

Not much left for wires inside:
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
PoorBoyRacing
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Break Time!

Unread 07-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
PoorBoyRacing
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Here is the donor truck that we got our axles from. Unfortunately...it turned into only one usable axle. Apparently a 1978 F-150 has a HP44, however, the radius arm wedges are actually cast into the housing. If you are looking for a worthy HP44 axle to swap in...get it out of something Pre-77. The wedges on the pre-77 are welded on the tubes...so removal is easy (possible). The rear 9" is just fine though...31 spline big bearing.

After a trip to the junkyard though, we managed to get a "good" HP44:
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
PoorBoyRacing
1987 XJ Cherokee 

During this whole ordeal we got the base of our suspension in the mail from Rough Country. We went with the 6.5" Long arm kit (no pics yet). While this kit may be ok for your weekend warrior, there will obviously need to be some changes made for this kit to work to it's full potential. 6.5" Long Arm Lift Kit

Last edited by PoorBoyRacing; 07-16-2013 at 05:12 PM..
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
PoorBoyRacing
1987 XJ Cherokee 

T-Shirts are in...you know you want one

Unread 07-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Subscribed, looks like this is going to be interesting.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Vote for the August Cherokee Of The Month here - Yes YOU!!!
chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorBoyRacing View Post
During this whole ordeal we got the base of our suspension in the mail from Rough Country. We went with the 6.5" Long arm kit (no pics yet). While this kit may be ok for your weekend warrior, there will obviously need to be some changes made for this kit to work to it's full potential. 6.5" Long Arm Lift Kit

Good luck fellas! I would love to do what you guys are doing. My only comment so far would be to use caution with the R/C Control arms.... they are 2" but they use .188. I do a little more than most people who run these, and mine have a bit of an arch to them now. I'd hate to see a bent control arm mess up your race. And after recently running Chocolate Thunder I can tell ya.... there's gonna be plenty of opportunity to bend one.
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
PoorBoyRacing
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Subscribed, looks like this is going to be interesting.
Thank you sir We are excited to take on this project!

Last edited by PoorBoyRacing; 07-16-2013 at 08:34 PM..
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #12
PoorBoyRacing
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Good luck fellas! I would love to do what you guys are doing. My only comment so far would be to use caution with the R/C Control arms.... they are 2" but they use .188. I do a little more than most people who run these, and mine have a bit of an arch to them now. I'd hate to see a bent control arm mess up your race. And after recently running Chocolate Thunder I can tell ya.... there's gonna be plenty of opportunity to bend one.
Good stuff! We are hoping to use the Rough Country stuff as a base. During testing we plan to find the weaknesses and build off of there. Being as this is our first 'major' build, we plan on a lot of trial and error as well as learning.
Unread 07-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #13
PoorBoyRacing
1987 XJ Cherokee 

This isn't Cherokee related...but here is part of the team wheeling their personal rigs on what will be one of our "test" courses for the EMC build!

Unread 07-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #14
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck with the build! The race is 8 hours of pure adrenaline, only one stock class finished this year. The course is and will be brutal, if you have a weak spot, Hammers will exploit it.
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #15
PoorBoyRacing
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
Good luck with the build! The race is 8 hours of pure adrenaline, only one stock class finished this year. The course is and will be brutal, if you have a weak spot, Hammers will exploit it.
Thanks Redlyner! I think the "one stock class finished this year" is part of our motivation for this build. Hopefully next year at least two finish...one of them being us .

Looks like you race as well...so I also pass a 'good luck' along to you!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.