Pond Scum - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Pond Scum

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 04-17-2014, 07:43 AM   #106
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Put the tank in for the final time, it's all painted, and has a 1/2" UHMW plastic guard on the bottom. The rear crossmember will drag way before this, so it's not really a skid. We'll see how it holds up.

All I need is gas & oil, test fire is TONIGHT

^rear diff cover was pretty close to the stock skid...

WKdeuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #107
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is the 2nd fire, after realizing the first go round I had accidentally unplugged an injector.
Crank your volume to 11.

at 0:36 I cover the vaccuum leak I know of, but I think there's another.
Unread 04-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #108
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Green one is the old shaft with the 8.8 flange yoke I made after the Attica incident back on page 3. Black one is a $25 junkyard Cherokee front shaft. I'll be chopping it down tonight with the old spin it on a drill method. This is my 4th driveshaft shorten job, hopefully it goes as smoothly as the others.
I broke it apart last night, made 2 good joints out of 3 old joints. Needle bearings everywhere. The centering ball is a bit crustier than I'd like, but I'm averaging 6 months on a driveshaft, not for wear, for changing axle & transfer case position.
Tonight, I'll chop it down, burn it back together, then press the joints back in.

Proper redneckery:

Unread 04-29-2014, 07:15 AM   #109
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Welp, I'm at a loss.
I moved this under it's own power yesterday. It liked rolling so much it didn't want to stop...

I have the TJ master cylinder, novak brake line adapter, brake line, SM465 stock slave cylinder. The problem seems to be 2 part, with the most of it being it doesn't push far enough to disengage the clutch, the other problem is it doesn't seem to want to return, like it needs a spring assist or something. Talked to Novak on the phone, they said they've never seen it work with the hydraulic slave bellhousing, so that effin sucks. Anybody with an idea please let me know.
Unread 04-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #110
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm at a loss here, not sure what way is forward at this point...

Here's the finished rear driveshaft, and some underbelly shots.

Unread 05-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #111
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Pretty sure I need to change the bell housing. I've burned up my budget, my free time, and my patience.

This thing will be sitting for a month while I chill on it, and save up some cash. It's not going anywhere, I'm not doing anything rash, I just need to step back, research, and figure out a plan.

I'm bummed, missing a big ride with a bunch of friends this weekend, and it's not looking good for having this ready for my goal of 6/7 with is a local offroad race.

Sorry for the *****y/whiney post.
Unread 05-19-2014, 04:01 PM   #112
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

left this with Dan at Jeff Daniels. Their big red 4 door YJ truck bed thing they had at PA Jeep Show has the SM465 that has the master/slave combo that works off the wrangler master. So that'll be the same design for this thing. Plus exhaust Y pipe, 2 cats, muffler, single outlet. Allegedly it'll be done in 2 weeks for 3 digits. Right...

Unread 06-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #113
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Went to HF for a NPT tap set. They were having sidewalk sale. Must have been my lucky day, 6 piece NPT set 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" both taps & dies, 50% off $12 so it was $6.
Behind it, is a 45 piece SAE tap & die set. 1/4"-20 through 1". $140. down to $50. 50% off that. $25.
Under that was the 45 piece metric set.
So naturally I left $56 lighter, but with 96 different taps & dies. Pretty sure that was a screamin deal.

Now remember way back I got this waterneck. Needed it, because the stock one 90°s out right at the frame rail.
But the thermostat for the billet water neck didn't fit my pump.
After much research, the 2007+ truck's water pump uses the same thermostat as the pre-2002 cars, I can't use a car pump because the belt would be in the wrong spot, but the 2007 truck pump is the one to get. I hadn't replaced the pump on the junkyard motor, so buying a new one wasn't the end of the world. plus I got a studebaker magnet in my rockauto box...
The other problem, was the heater core lines came right out at the frame rail, I've had **** luck with rubber caps on heater core lines. SO hence the NPT tap set.

Unread 06-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #114
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well I've screwed this up something proper. I would love to be driving an extremely underpowered 4 banger right now. I've crossed the 6 month mark in what was supposed to be a 3 month process. I've yet to add up the cost, but it'd be safe to say I'm over budget as well. My wife is an awesome an very supportive woman.

The gents at the shop who were "fixing the slave cylinder" for me found play in the throw out (TO) bearing, brought it to my attention, and I agreed that them removing the trans to inspect internals was the best course of action.
Unfortunately, I'm real busy at work and don't have time to do this myself, but more than that, the guys doing the work are a lot more experienced than me so I trust that I'm getting the work done rioght, and honestly, it's not taking any longer than if I were doing it.

Upon removal, they found that I used some wrong parts when installing the clutch & TO bearing and apparently pushed the TO bearing through the front of the trans.
Clutch it toast, TO bearing is wasted, front of the trans is jacked.
To say I was having trouble with the slave cylinder was understatement of the year.

The trans would need 300-400 worth of rebuild for it to be useable. But, it came free with the Atlas, and who knows what the condition of the rest of it is. Rather than spend money rebuilding part of that trans, I ordered a new rebuilt aluminum top SM465 from Midwest Trans, it ships Monday 6/30.
The shop agreed this to be the best course of action, and offered the same labor cost for removal & install, so I'm really only out a few hundred more for a completely new trans with warranty.

Again, to say I screwed up would be quite the understatement. It is good to know now what the issue is and be moving forward. I can certainly say, that if/when I build my late 60s longbed Ford pickup that I will most certainly use a motor & trans from the same vehicle. Combining a motor/trans/case from 3 different sources is just asking for trouble, especially considering this is my first motor swap.

Living & learning.
Unread 06-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #115
TheBlueKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Just like you said, ya live and ya learn. You wouldn't be learning anything if you didn't make any mistakes!
Unread 08-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #116
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

They're done. It was expensive.

driver side.

passenger side.

It's nice & tight.

The trans is still the lowest, about 1" below the frame, atlas pokes down a little right at the front output.

Unread 08-20-2014, 05:32 AM   #117
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Running & driving.

Cooling system is done, but I don't think I'm getting an accurate reading from my autometer gauge & temp sensor, so I'm hesitant to run it any further than a few feet through my backyard.
...but it only took a little poke to make the back end want to step out.

Also, my PS pump is shot, it's a junkyard one, and I think I messed up the return port modifying it to clear the frame. I'd like to find one with AN fittings.
Still needs the e-fan in too, I got the 16" SPAL, waiting on their shroud for the sake of simplicity.
And a little tidy-up of the wiring.
...and a shroud for the giant hole where the trans come through.

But it's moving under it's own power again, for the first time in 9 months. All in all I tripled my time & money budget. But it's "done".

Just need clean this up a littttttle bit.

Unread 08-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #118
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone have a power steering pump recommendation? I have a durango box. I'd be OK getting a bracket that lets me bolt up any of the PSC pumps, but no clue how to pick which one to get.
Unread 08-31-2014, 03:45 PM   #119
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Extreme series matched with my hydro assist. I love it, but it is touchy
Holaday is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2014, 04:48 PM   #120
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thats too bad it took longer and cost more than you thought but great job sticking with it!!!
Too many people get discouraged and abandon these projects.

Nice looking RIG!!
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.