Police impound auction zj build thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Police impound auction zj build thread

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
DCshakenbake
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Police impound auction zj build thread

so i have been a member on here for a while and have read probably every zj build thread on here. well i decided it was time to finally make my own build thread. we picked up my zj from a police impound auction completely stripped of interior parts and not running. it took a lot of junkyard trips to get all the parts we needed but it finally started taking shape. just after we bought this jeep my brother and i rolled his zj. so it was time to start stripping down the lift parts and salvaging what we could from my brothers zj as well as trying to get money from the guy who hit us or his insurance company.

zjs-front-garage.jpg   rolled-red.jpg  
DCshakenbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
DCshakenbake
1998 XJ Cherokee 

my brothers zj was sitting on a 5.5 inch lift and 33s that consisted of the 3.5 inch iro kit with 2 inch spacers, rubicon express adjustable lower control arms the iro adjustable track bar, and a heavy duty steering stabilizer. after some convincing and my brother getting a new black zj we were ready to throw that kit (minus the 2 inch spacers) onto my red zj. and that is where it all starts
stock-red-black.jpg  
Unread 04-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
DCshakenbake
1998 XJ Cherokee 

the first thing i did to my jeep was hook up my two twelve inch kenwood 1200 watt subs with a 2400 watt pyle amp they were pretty damn loud after that i tinted the tail lights and mounted my cb antennae
zj-tails-tint.jpg  
Unread 04-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
DCshakenbake
1998 XJ Cherokee 

well one good week me and my brother both got a few days off from work so we decided it would be a good time to throw that 3.5 inch lift on my jeep along with thew black steelies from my brothers old zj and some 31 inch cooper discoverers we had laying around.
stock-red.jpg   after-red.jpg  
Unread 04-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
DCshakenbake
1998 XJ Cherokee 

after the new lift install we decided it was time to break in my jeep. we went and found a few light trails and a little bit of mud
leadville-zj.jpg   canyon-zj.jpg   outlets-zj.jpg  
Unread 04-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
DCshakenbake
1998 XJ Cherokee 

well my jeep stayed that way for a little bit while we were focusing on my brothers jeep. he decided to go with the rough country 4 inch kit that came with all adjustable control arms. we managed to fit 33s under there
black-zj-after-lift.jpg   zj-black-lift-2.jpg  
Unread 04-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
DCshakenbake
1998 XJ Cherokee 

so it was time to start giving my jeep some more love. we still had the grill from my brothers first zj which was a 97 and i decided i like that style front end better so we swapped out my 94 style grill for that one and painted it black along with the black bumper from my brothers new jeep. i decided against the bumper when it kept falling off on a wheeling trip i also picked up 8 blue lights for 40 bucks walmart special mounted them under my cross bar on the roof
red-black-lifted.jpg   94-style.jpg   97-grille.jpg  
Unread 04-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
DCshakenbake
1998 XJ Cherokee 

next to the jeep was painting the plastic cladding and rear bumper to match.
then i did some wheeling and found a pretty good sink hole that swallowed my front tire i just put it in 4 lo and backed out though
zj-hole.jpg   zj-back-hole.jpg  
painted-plastic.jpg

Unread 04-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
DCshakenbake
1998 XJ Cherokee 

so we went on a wheeling trip for my buddies birthday all together we had my zj my, my brothers zj, my friends stock zj, my other friends zj on a 6 inch lift, our other friends land rover disco, and our buddy ryan in his 87 chevy sitting on 33s with a locker in the rearend up higher on the trail was still a lot of snow we were pretty determined to break through but it started getting sketchy with a cliff on one side and you're sliding sideways through two feet of snow
lazy-zjs.jpg   jeep-disco.jpg   zjs-bard-creek.jpg   bard-creek-zj.jpg   snow-trail.jpg  

negro-work.jpg  
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #10
DCshakenbake
1998 XJ Cherokee 

well my jeep finally started having issues after a little mishap pulling out my buddy in his stock zj i went too big looking for a way to get to him and ended up getting stuck in A LOT of snow well long story short we blew my timing cover gasket and over heated my jeep getting it out. while we had it torn apart we also replaced the timing chain and bunch of other little things under the hood so here is some pics from a trip we took up a local trail called wheeler lake my jeep had to sit this one out
wheeler-crew.jpg   alex-wheeler.jpg   black-zj-wheeler.jpg   nick-wheeler.jpg   travis-wheeler.jpg  

wheeler-zj-flex.jpg   zj-xj.jpg   zjs-xjs.jpg   wheeler-lake.jpg   waterfall.jpg  

Last edited by DCshakenbake; 04-14-2012 at 09:25 AM..
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
DCshakenbake
1998 XJ Cherokee 

finally got my jeep back up on the road just in time for my brothers zj to take **** on him instead of replacing the transmission and adjusting the various other issues he decided it was time for an xj i picked up some halo projector lights after reading a build thread on here i know a lot of people dont like them but i think they look awesome
zj-halo-lights.jpg   zj-halo-lights-night.jpg  
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
DCshakenbake
1998 XJ Cherokee 

after the projector lights me and my brother started working on a home made redneck lightbar with two plates that bolt to the "frame rails" and a bar welded between those two with some angle iron welded behind it i think it turned out pretty damn good after we got it all painted. while we were at it we painted the metal behind the stock zj bumpers black too
light-bar-1.jpg   light-bar-2.jpg   light-bar-3.jpg   zj-4.jpg  
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
DCshakenbake
1998 XJ Cherokee 

well i left my jeep alone for a while until i got the urge for bigger tires i scored a set of 5 33x12.5x16 inch procomp xterrains one simulated bead locks for only $450 gotta love craigslist
33s.jpg  
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #14
DCshakenbake
1998 XJ Cherokee 

the 33s sat in the garage for a while teasing me until we could "trim" the fenders so i decided to paint the bolts on the rims red IMO it looks a lot better than the rust color they were before
red-beads.jpg  
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #15
DCshakenbake
1998 XJ Cherokee 

finally got the 33s on and DAMN does it look a lot better we actually didnt trim in the rear at all only up front
zj.jpg   zj1.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.