Pokey's Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Pokey's Build

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

Pokey's Build

After all the planning and researching, I decided to cancel this build. I ordered a brand new 2012 JK Rubicon last week and should take delivery by November, hopefully. That's right ... I'VE GONE TO THE DARK SIDE!!! And it feels good.

Will be missed:
1999 "Deep Amethyst" TJ +3" on 33's
C2U5H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

So the JKS Quick Disconnects are ordered and shipped from Quadratec. In preparation, I've removed everything from the front frame rails (bumper/lights, anti-sway bar with mounts) so I can strip the stock anti-sway bar and repaint it. I'm also going to strip and repaint the stock mounts and replace the bushings with OEM from Advance Auto. Going to strip the frame rails as much as I can in the front and repaint (rust). Going to replace the anti-sway bar mount hardware with grade 8.

The Bestop Trektop NX from Quadratec is on backorder currently, but, when I ordered two weeks ago, my sales guy at Q-tec said that Bestop estimated the second week of August (this week) for delivery. So we'll see -- fingers crossed. I'm tired of running the hardtop, and I'd like to get it off so I can start overhauling it.

Anybody have any comments about the suspension setup I have planned? The reason I'm going with the Superlift suspension components is because I won a 50% off coupon for any Superlift product. Simple as that.
Will be missed:
Unread 08-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

The JKS disconnects should be here today. Next week, I'll be sand blasting the anti-sway bar and both mounts in preparation for enamel or heavy-duty paint so I don't have to do it again. I also picked up two new anti-sway bar bushings (p/n K7352) from Advance Auto. Might as well do it right since the 12 year old ones are all but torn up.

I called Superlift Suspension Systems over lunch today and spoke to a sales guy ... interesting. Asked about the 4" LA lift's (p/n K450) price — since they don't list their prices on their website ... it just says "call" next to everything — and was told it was "around $3000," which matches retailers for the most part (Q-tec has it for $282.99, p/n 16207.100). But then I mentioned the 50% off coupon and the price suddenly jumps to "half of $3700" ... which is BS, but I didn't say anything — I'm just calling for prices, anyway. I also wanted to get a quote for the kit without shocks or coil springs: the shocks have to go with the kit apparently since they're in the box with other items, which is also BS ... they are the manufacturer; they can take whatever they want out. I was quoted "~$1700" for the kit w/o coil springs ... I'm not sure if that means with or without the 50% off already taken into account. The gentleman I spoke to was named Marty.

I'm going to call back next week and see if I get the same answer. If they try to raise the price again after I mention the 50% off coupon, I'm calling their BS out.

But all in all, this lift looks to be doable ... should work out just fine.
Will be missed:
Unread 08-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

Got the JKS disconnects ... out with the old, in with the new!! Just have to strip and paint the sway bar, mounts, and front portion of the frame ... might as well since everything's off. It's been a WHOLE day now, plenty of time for everyone ever on the internet to see -- I'd really like some comments on the components I've got in the plan.

Will be missed:
Unread 08-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
jclauson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I looked at the thread for your bumper. Great work, and holy crap those lights are bright! WOW. I want some.

check it out
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/hysterias-90-yj-build-1190617/
jclauson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Dont get superlift anything. If ur getting a lift go currie, bds or ome. 50 percent off is cool but you'll replace most of that stuff in a year or twos time

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #7
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
Dont get superlift anything. If ur getting a lift go currie, bds or ome. 50 percent off is cool but you'll replace most of that stuff in a year or twos time
Bahh! This sucks having 50% off for something that's total crap!! Being a technical writer, you can kind of tell if a product is good or not by how well the manual is written: I downloaded Superlift's installation manual for the K450 kit and it's actually pretty darn good. False hopes, I suppose.

Is that opinion based on personal experience or from things that you've read/heard, Sport? Not bashing, just trying to get a sense of why they're so bad — actually having documented repeated failures on the trail, or just regurgitation of heresay.
Will be missed:
Unread 08-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinTJ99 View Post
Bahh! This sucks having 50% off for something that's total crap!! Being a technical writer, you can kind of tell if a product is good or not by how well the manual is written: I downloaded Superlift's installation manual for the K450 kit and it's actually pretty darn good. False hopes, I suppose.

Is that opinion based on personal experience or from things that you've read/heard, Sport? Not bashing, just trying to get a sense of why they're so bad — actually having documented repeated failures on the trail, or just regurgitation of heresay.
Just rough ride, ****ty bushings, rust pretty bad after a while,they are the same as trailmaster, skyjacker, procomp and whatnot. It's based on countless complaints I have read here on the forum. I was going for a superlift setup and kinda got steered away after reading this forum more before I started buying stuff. I mean if it's what you want to get BY ALL MEANS go ahead. The Jeep will look good regardless, I'm just trying to save you some money in the long run. I would get a rough country lift before I got superlift, skyjacker or procomp...that's saying a lot

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 08-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Just rough ride, ****ty bushings, rust pretty bad after a while,they are the same as trailmaster, skyjacker, procomp and whatnot. It's based on countless complaints I have read here on the forum. I was going for a superlift setup and kinda got steered away after reading this forum more before I started buying stuff. I mean if it's what you want to get BY ALL MEANS go ahead. The Jeep will look good regardless, I'm just trying to save you some money in the long run. I would get a rough country lift before I got superlift, skyjacker or procomp...that's saying a lot
Crap ... well, now I'm in a predicament, lol. Maybe I'll go with the RC LA kit without shocks and springs, go with the Currie/Savvy springs and Bilstein 5100 shocks instead. You think that would be any better? At the RC kit is getting good feedback. Only thing is, RC uses the exact same CA design as Superlift (OEM-esque bushings on both ends with slip joint in middle).

Decisions, decisions ...
Will be missed:
Unread 08-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

Made my decision to scrap the Superlift plans and do it right the first time. Staying SA, but going with Currie/Savvy kit with real JJ's all around. Giving Superlift certificate to someone else probably.

Time to save ...
Will be missed:
Unread 08-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #11
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinTJ99 View Post
Made my decision to scrap the Superlift plans and do it right the first time. Staying SA, but going with Currie/Savvy kit with real JJ's all around. Giving Superlift certificate to someone else probably.

Time to save ...
Very nice choice. You will be happy. Their lift is $$$$$$$ but you will be happier in the long run. I'm slowly going to convert all my arms to currie JJs as well

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 08-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Very nice choice. You will be happy. Their lift is $$$$$$$ but you will be happier in the long run. I'm slowly going to convert all my arms to currie JJs as well
I think so, too: thanks for pushing me over the edge. I've read/heard from others about the quality and reliability of their joints, but I was in the denial stages with the coupon waving in front of my face.

A small update: I ordered a Harbor Freight lift kit (sike), abrasive blaster kit so I can clean everything. Eventually the whole Jeep, except for exterior paint, will be stripped and re-sealed with enamel or HD paint -- including the bedliner which will be a spray on type, like Raptor or the like.

My Bestop Trektop NX will also be here today. Thanks to Quadratec and Bestop for being completely honest when I ordered two weeks ago. They said that their next batch from Bestop would be here sometime this week. Alas, shipped yesterday and delivery will be sometime this afternoon. Thank you to Bestop for knowing your inventory inside and out, being able to give your distributors accurate information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclauson View Post
I looked at the thread for your bumper. Great work, and holy crap those lights are bright! WOW. I want some.
Thanks, I'm probably going to rebuild it a bit simpler and with a grill hoop after I get a 220A welder, but that won't be for a year or two. Right now it's 3/8" plate, but I won't feel comfortable mounting a winch to it unless it's 1/4". Until then, whenever I get a winch, I'll use the winch plate I got at the Quadratec scratch & dent tent at the PA All Breeds Jeep show two years ago. And yes: the HID offroad lights are crazy intense ... too bad they're over $150 each now b/c of demand. I got them for ~$160/pair online before they got real popular and bought out by some other companies.
Will be missed:
Unread 08-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #13
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

BESTOP TREKTOP NX

I already had all the padding off the rollbars for the past two years (since I've been running the hardtop or no top exclusively) so I washed them all up and got a can of fabric/vinyl spray in flat black. Didn't feel like doing the two small pieces that extend to the windshield ... so those are still a bit purple still for now.

Tinted windows laying out with the top to loosen up, per others' advice since the first installation is quite tight.

The D-ring for the sunrider fulcrum point has been known to fall off, which mine did during shipping/packaging. No biggie -- pair of pliers took care of that. Honestly, they're not really necessary so I won't be upset if they do fall off on the road.

Tight fight! If you had the OEM softtop, this one's no more difficult to put on. Just takes a little extra time during the initial install to get the wrinkles pulled out and everything stretched.

Really like the top. It's every bit as quiet as my hardtop I literally just took off (bedlined with no carpet). Even though it's supposed to be nice all night and tomorrow, I'm leaving everything on tonight to let it acquaint itself.

Very happy with this one.
Will be missed:
Unread 08-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

After doing some more reading and talking with some friends who run both, I've decided to get Currie's Antirock swaybar system when I do the Savvy lift. Like previously said, this is getting done the right way. Since I broke the ball joint on one of the stock end links, I needed a new link anyway, so the JKS QD's will do until I get the lift this winter (or so). Then I can sell the QD's.
Will be missed:
Unread 08-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #15
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

Trying to find TJ D44 rear and XJ HP30 front axles at the moment for I can start building them up for the swap. Gonna' to go with 4.88 gears and Super kits in each (ARB). Since Artec just came out with their new truss system, I might consider getting (another) Ford 8.8, even though I just got rid of the one I had (doh!) Live and learn.

If anybody has any leads on axles in the MD area, let me know!!
Will be missed:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.