Poison Spyder Build TJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Poison Spyder Build TJ

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #16
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So I haven't had much time for any add ons to the Jeep but there is a definite HUGE drive train upgrade incoming with new suspension. Just a reminder: This is my daily driver, so for the most part I have no 2nd option for a vehical to use durring down time. Also an Engineering student at UNF so time is short bethween school and work.
I just ordered a 5.5 X Factor Long Arm kit from Rock Krawler Suspension. There customer service was awesome! Jeremy is the bomb. Been looking into axles and think I've decided on a 60 front with a 14 bolt rear end. 1 tons may seem like much now, but I'm planing for the future. if I go 40's I'd want to be ready rather then getting 44's and have to swap all over again.

Axles front and rear have 4.88 gears and a new Detroit in rear. (personal friend seen with my own eyes). With the Rock Krawler kit old perches are cut off while new rear cross members are wended on. I feel it would be a 1000 times easier to do the axle swap with suspension swap (short arm to long arm) in 1 shot..

any thoughts?

Driver831 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #17
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Not so much a build but was in the parade down here in FL figured it was in the spirit of the holidays haha i had to!
img_1503.jpg   img_1505.jpg   img_1519.jpg   img_1524.jpg  
Unread 12-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #18
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jeeps been feeling sluggish lately, figured id giver her some new candy parts for the motor with a new TPS and IAC. purrs like a kitten. also finally put the vinyls behind the Poison Spyder Rock Knockers today

and yes its dirty in there
img_1544-1-.jpg   img_1547-1-.jpg   img_1546-1-.jpg   img_1548-1-.jpg  
Unread 12-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #19
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Previously posted was a question about the gap on the pass side fender. it was erking me (my OCD) but its fixed now. just wanted to say thanks for noticing. its always nice to get 2nd opinions and another eye on some things.. wish I checked, double checked, and rechecked the 1st time tho.

also had some silver in the diff fluid. tore down the front end to inspect, everything came out ok. I'm led to believe its just from the install of the new locker and some wear form me beating the piss out of it. so i changed the shafts anyways lol

1st one is of the before shot of the gap.. I ended moving it up about 1/4 of an inch. has a curved lip to it so still looks low but I SWEAR its right with the body line!

and the last is a Detroit Tru Trac locker
img_1275.jpg   img_1605.jpg   img_1598.jpg   img_1604.jpg   img_1593.jpg  

Unread 12-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #20
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

the Rockwell couldn't take it anymore! broke while mounting a trolling motor mount on the boat.. so out with the old... and in with the new!
img_1615-1-.jpg   img_1616-1-.jpg  
Unread 01-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #21
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just got in my new lift from Jeremy at Rock Krawler and Pure Performance. GREAT Customer service. The Guys there are awesome. 5.5 X Factor Long Arm Suspension lift!

Now time for the hard part.. School just started (BOOOO) and I want this on now! Might have to do in stages? Skid pan and lowers 1st then the new axles with all gussets so I can measure, tac, final weld, powder coat, then INSTALL!
img_1681.jpg   img_1682.jpg  
Unread 01-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #22
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet Jeep, Love the Toyo's. Best tire IMO for street and offroad. Guta re-size them pics those, they are huge!!! I will be following your build.
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #23
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003X
Sweet Jeep, Love the Toyo's. Best tire IMO for street and offroad. Guta re-size them pics those, they are huge!!! I will be following your build.
Thanks yeah I love the toyos, just got new rims and tires they are 42" kevlars... Not staying with the 42", just for the axles swap I'm doing the lug patters fit. Going right back to the 37x14.5x17 toyo mt oc

And I know about the pics lol "wrangler forum" automatically does it. "jeep forum" doesn't :-/
Unread 01-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #24
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So I have 2 days off in a row and decided to start on the Rock Krawler Suspension (5.5 Long Arm). I'm doing it "bolt on style" rather then welding it. I figure who knows what new toys this TJ might get and wending and plasma cutting aren't in my future.. least for the cross skid pan ha!

Started with the upper and lower mount brackets which are also the skid pan brackets. 3 pieces, about 175lb all together. Definitely bringing the High center of gravity down when its all complete.

While taking everythign appart I ran into some issues.. Leaking T-case and tranny seals, wasted trans mount, and spun pocket nuts from OE cross pan bolts. Could be worse right?
img_1706.jpg   img_1703.jpg   img_1705.jpg   img_1709.jpg   img_1712.jpg  

Unread 01-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #25
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I guess I'm gonna call this STAGE 2 on the EC PSC TJ.. Suspension and Drive train

After all the seals and little mishaps were done popping up I brought out the torches to start the dismount of the lower arms to make way for the new Long Arm System fro Rock Krawler. I know these are the same stock axles I'm adding the Long Arms to but id rather do it in stages then 1 massive project when I get the new axles in a few weeks. Just rather not get overwhelmed with school work and the TJ..

Also a few snap shots of the skid plate and trackbar mounted.. I need to craw on something to get a better shot but you can see what a difference the Rock Krawler Skid does compared to OE.

after reviewing all these pictures.. do I repaint the whole frame? I kinda want to.. idk

Unread 01-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #26
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think a re-paint would make it look fresh. I did my frame semi-gloss black, then currectly a flat black. The semi gloss gives it that brand new look, but, the flat black gives it that rugged look. Its your call.
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #27
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I was thinking a semi-gloss, just so when looking at all the pretty new components and upgrades... You don't see a undesirable frame. May tape it up and spray, but I gotta clean up where I torched frame and fill in the "too far" spots haha
Unread 01-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #28
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

woo hoo, my resizing pictures worked!

Well the Lift turned into a huge success! the 5.5 X Factor Long Arm Suspension from Rock Krawler looks great skying the 37's but not so sure how its gonna react to the 42's next month when i do the axle swap. everything went together like butter!

Every single old control arm I took off the bushings were completely SHOT! When I took off the front uppers both pressed in bushing fell out when the arm was removed, haha. I deff got my money out of that Procomp SA but nothing compared to the LA Kit now installed. each arm is an approx 40-50lb. vs. a 6lb SA.. Rock Krawler is awesome product. Had a lil rough time aligning the lower arms in the front but other then that it was a breeze. Would definitely help a friend on install if they got one. GO GET ONE!

The ride is a complete 180 difference then the SA. Smooth, less vertical forces on the Jeep means I don't feel every bump in the road. It rides like a cadi. I couldn't believe the difference. Also running Rancho 9000XL adjustable shocks (If wondering) and I couldn't be happier with the set up.

Looking to go AntiRock on the front and rear swaybars tho. Its a tremendous difference, a lil more body roll, but makes up in performance.

The TJ needs a bath but not that dirty. Also had to say goodbye to my hood Spyder

Unread 01-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #29
l0p3z187
2002 TJ Wrangler 

dude you got a sick jeep bro. keep it up!
Unread 01-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #30
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So I put 50 miles on the jeep just driving it around and i am loving the quality of the ride. its just fanaminal. The Long Arm from Rock Krawler is just awesome. Couldn't be happier with it. http://www.rockkrawler.com/index.php?r_intro=no

Ordering all the gussets for new axles tomorrow morning, should be exciting. March is a busy month and I have to make sure it is 100% complete for it. I know I previously mentioned about going with 1ton 60 and 70's but looking into shaving down for a DD and all the work to put into them and being just a college student at UNF and working still full time, the time and funds aren't there for all that. War Tires is setting me up with a 44 and 8.8 rear end with 4.88 Motive Gear and lockers front and rear. With rims, and tires. Can't really complain. Goose is awesome at War Tires, great customer service as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.