Poison Spyder Build TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Poison Spyder Build TJ

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Poison Spyder Build TJ

So Im posting this as a Poison Spyder Customs Jeep Build Off sort of thing. Recently won the set of their BRAND NEW DeFender Flares. In doing so I also purchased rear crusher corners with the 3" DeFeneder flares on them, BFH front bumper, Rock Knockers w/ Sliders... Along the way there were many other add ons but we shall start when it began. If any Questions on install feel free to ask away.

I'll Try and add pros and cons in as well, also a walk through of the jeep build as an entire.!

But first lets start with the DeFenders install!

Having Smittybuilt Flatties already on the vehicle there was no extra cutting required. I realized in doing this that the SB Flatties make you cut 2-3" EXTRA inches of your inner fender well out just to fit them in. Where the sleek design of the DeFenders keeps the cutting to a minimal.

Picture 1 is the basic Phase 1 of this build. starting with a 6" procomp short arm lift 37x14.5x15 toyos SB XRC front bumper, SB tube steps, SB rear swing carrier, and SB flatties. from here only magic will happen!

1st step of the install is removal, like i said already having flatties removal was a breeze. step 2 removing the fender supports on both the passenger and driver side was confusing at first but after some thought made sense. the only things removed was the battery,2 inner fender brackets, and 1 vacuum hose connected to the inner fender and the hood latched; Thats it!

after removal of some dirt mud sand dust and all other entities not supposed to be in the jeep it was time for install.. I DEFINITELY recommend loosening the front body mount for easy adjustment as well as the supports going to the front nose to the fire wall. just makes the fine tuning and adjustment so0o0o much easier. James Kha and I found out the hard way haha.

In a few pictures you can see how the DeFenders ADD 3" of wheel well to the rear portion on the tires, which is great when wheeling and stuffing tires!

Install of the battery trey bracket was a snap, using all the preexisting hardware. the fenders fit like gloves against the fire wall and the top of the 'whats left of' fender. i do recommend having another person around to help fa-ness the front and rear fender at the same time to get the perfect fit you will be looking for. putting the hood latch in the front to hold in place you can use this as a line up for mock up. then the 4 firewall bolts then you can bolt up with EASE having the cut out in the side panel.

once all the bolts are in it was time to tighten up and align all the body lines together. All in all it was an easy process in swapping out flares. total time with 3 Guys (THANKS TO KHA AND JAMES!) was just about 2 hrs. 1 hr off and cleaning and another hours on and fa-ness. 1-10 on the install on difficulty (10 hard) a 4.5? maybe 3?.. was not bad at all, but like i said before i did already have my fenders cut from the SB flatties. (used a cut off wheel with air tool)

img_0736.jpg   img_1216.jpg   img_1222.jpg   img_1226.jpg   img_1227.jpg  

Driver831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

In these you can see just how much MORE i had to cut to fit the SB fenders. OUCH

sorry for foggy pictures!
img_1229.jpg   img_1231.jpg   img_1234.jpg   img_1247.jpg   img_1248.jpg  

Unread 12-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

37's on a D35?
Unread 12-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Like I said for that started the whole turnover in this build. from here you will see all the other great applications and modifications from Poison Spyder Customs.

PROS:

Extra wheel well clearance!
No edge rubs on tires when fullly stuffed!
Light weight (Aluminum!!)
Ease to install!
Great customer service at the PSC compound!
Lined up PERFECT with Rock Knockers
Did I mention extra wheel well clearance!?!?

CONS:

I powder coated all my hardware, in doing so the counter sunk bolts didn't sit completely flush in the countersunk holes
In powder coating these I stripped out 1 stainless steel bolt head on the flat surface where the hood covers
I didn't have these a year ago! haha
Unread 12-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
37's on a D35?
In thies pictures... yes
Unread 12-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
Bearsma
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like there is a bit of a fittment issue where the hood and the upper edge of the fender meet????, looks like quite a gap there....
GREEN JEEP CLUB #587
Bearsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #7
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsma View Post
Looks like there is a bit of a fittment issue where the hood and the upper edge of the fender meet????, looks like quite a gap there....
Yes, that was a picture of the install of the SB Flatties, if you look closer at the fenders you can see that i didn't have the latches connected for the hood to bold down to. the Smitty built Flatties didn't have those holes "pre drilled" i had to drill from the underneath to make sure they lined up!

on the Poison Spyder DeFenders the hood latch holes ARE provided which means no drilling on the DeFenders is necessary
Unread 12-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
Bearsma
1997 TJ Wrangler 

How bout back where the cowl and tub meet,,,, looks like the fender drops off that line quite a bit,,, could be an optical delusion maybe??? :0)...
311558d1322971829-poison-spyder-build-tj-img_1247.jpg  
GREEN JEEP CLUB #587
Unread 12-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How bout back where the cowl and tub meet,,,, looks like the fender drops off that line quite a bit,,, could be an optical delusion maybe??? :0)...
could be an optical delusion yes, or as the say "the angles".. The DeFenders do have rolled edged from the top to side panel which will give it more of a shadow. All curves no points. Could have come up a tad in the rear maybe, but i'll let it ride
Unread 12-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #10
Unii
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
yeah i see it too, he should have loosened the bolts to the tub and pulled it up and tightened them back, but now that the other stuff has been mounted i dont thing it can be fixed.

looks good thought, how did you win them?
Unii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 10:14 PM   #11
Bearsma
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver831 View Post
could be an optical delusion yes, or as the say "the angles".. The DeFenders do have rolled edged from the top to side panel which will give it more of a shadow. All curves no points. Could have come up a tad in the rear maybe, but i'll let it ride
They look good, I'll be getting a set soon!!!!
GREEN JEEP CLUB #587
Unread 12-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #12
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Poison Spyder Customs just came out with there new DeFender Flares for the TJ/LJ they selected 5 Jeeps from around the US to receive there flares for free from submitted application forms, in constellation I posted this thread on the install to aid/help/inform others on them. Pretty sweet! Love the company.
Unread 12-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #13
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Once the DeFenders were installed it was onto the Crusher Corners and Rock Knockers. everything lined up great with one another! which is great when buying piece by piece. in installing the Crusher Corners i also did away with the square tail lights and went to the 24 LED tail lights, and moved my tag to the spare tire rack. Had SB tube side armor and hacked them off! welded :Frown: but nothing a torch grinder mini disks and paint gun cant fix!
img_1435.jpg   img_0568.jpg   img_1467.jpg   img_1449.jpg   img_1303.jpg  

Unread 12-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #14
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Fl sucks... there are no rocks, hills, or clay... we have to make our own down here haha.
img_1064.jpg   img_1224.jpg   img_1235.jpg   img_1243.jpg   img_1217.jpg  

Unread 12-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #15
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

FYI use a 4.5 hole saw for the LED lights. A fine jig saw does not work like a dream. at all. ever. it was a task in a half.. just wanted to add that in there. because I don't wish that upon anyone!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.