Plus 1 horse power: The after build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Plus 1 horse power: The after build

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-30-2014, 09:02 PM   #76
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinski View Post
alright guys heres my write up on the stretch.

started out by getting the jeep up on jack stands and getting everything disconnected from the axle and frame aside from the brake lines. moved the axle out of the way

then we moved on to cutting out the coil buckets, shock mounts, and old cross member with the plasma. later went back and used a cut off wheel to get all of the welds and remaining scraps

put the links in, got the pinion angle, made our new cross member made out of 2x3 3/16" steel with the coil buckets and moved it into position. tacked it in place and checked everything out. at ride height.

took the axle back out to weld the cross member in place and the control arms got a nice fat bead then painted.

put everything back in and got the shock mounts in, for now i am running the stock rubicon shocks because the compressed length of the fox's was just too much to find a nice place to fit them. this is also why the bump stop is set about 2" lower than it can be. later on ill either make the move to metal cloaks 6 packs. or king coil overs. if i use the metal cloaks ill simply use the same brackets, and take out the spacer i made, gaining another 2" of up travel. deciding between 12 or 14" travel. ill probably go with 12 since i honestly probably don't need 14" to run blacks at rausch and sometimes other places.

buddy got fox's for his cummins

lastly we got the corners all finished up, started with a paper template, then moved to the rubber liner, and lastly the aluminum.

used 1/4 20 stainless bolts and nutcerts from an amish store, think i payed $5 for that and the install tool. i liked the spacer they had for the install as it had a tapered end to keep the nutcert centered, a grade 8 bolt and some wd40 also helps.

drilled the body holes to 3/8" with a step bit, hammered in the nutcerts for a tight fit, also have to mention i got the idea to use jb weld on the nutcets and let me just say idk if it was that or a higher quality nutcert than what poison spyder uses, but i had absolutely no issues with spinning nut certs. completely happy with this turn out!

flares were the last, ill be making some steel ones soon, but this works for now lol. the garden edging was so i could get it passed by a local cop and get the warning signed.

getting used to driving it, but i'm completely happy with the turn out and it also rides a lot smoother, can't wait to test it out off road once i get new shocks.
im sure the first thing you noticed was the steering radius? next time you go off road you'll love it though i promise. sorry if i missed it, but you make your links? also im assuming you still have a track bar, or no?

Unread 03-30-2014, 09:07 PM   #77
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maertz View Post
im sure the first thing you noticed was the steering radius? next time you go off road you'll love it though i promise. sorry if i missed it, but you make your links? also im assuming you still have a track bar, or no?
yeap, made my own links, and still running the stock rear track bar. made a new bracket out of 3/16". don't have a pic of it, so i guess ill have to take one tomorrow and go back to edit
i did notice it around turns, not the radius, just the feeling i got, its like i could feel where the jeep was squating and the axle being back. it was the opposite when i first made the jump from the four door to the 2 door. hard to explain it, but i honestly don't notice any difference in parking lots etc. kinda weird to explain
Unread 03-30-2014, 09:11 PM   #78
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
yeap, made my own links, and still running the stock rear track bar. made a new bracket out of 3/16". don't have a pic of it, so i guess ill have to take one tomorrow and go back to edit
i did notice it around turns, not the radius, just the feeling i got, its like i could feel where the jeep was squating and the axle being back. it was the opposite when i first made the jump from the four door to the 2 door. hard to explain it, but i honestly don't notice any difference in parking lots etc. kinda weird to explain
nice toss some pics up! last bracket i want to cut off is the old coil perches, i have no torch though... but soon after i want to get my axles and such finally installed... also go 14" travel
Unread 03-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #79
Guns003
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Any side pics with the flares on? I really want to see how that worked out. The back shot of your jeep looks so sweet btw
Guns003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #80
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
nice toss some pics up! last bracket i want to cut off is the old coil perches, i have no torch though... but soon after i want to get my axles and such finally installed...
will do, honestly the coil perch was the most annoying to cut off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns003 View Post
Any side pics with the flares on? I really want to see how that worked out. The back shot of your jeep looks so sweet btw
no side shots that i know of. it does look awkward since i didn't work the comp cut into the flare yet, i don't see a point as ill probably be making steel ones in the next two weeks
Unread 03-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #81
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

yea i save it for last hoping id come across a torch.
Unread 03-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #82
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
yea i save it for last hoping id come across a torch.
on the second i cut the top weld from the wheel well with a grinder and cut off wheel, then used a pry bar, was much easier than torching like the other side honestly
Unread 03-30-2014, 09:29 PM   #83
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
on the second i cut the top weld from the wheel well with a grinder and cut off wheel, then used a pry bar, was much easier than torching like the other side honestly
hmm i will have to look at that, thatll be my during the week project so i can get the axles back in over the weekend ....hopefully.
Unread 04-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #84
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Sharp

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #85
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns003
Nice looking build. How do you like your tire carrier. I want something I can remove easily and the wife wants a tailgate. It doesn't seem to hold the spare as high as the swing down bumpers which is nice cause I like to see out the back.
84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #86
Guns003
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84jeepcj7rock
Nice looking build. How do you like your tire carrier. I want something I can remove easily and the wife wants a tailgate. It doesn't seem to hold the spare as high as the swing down bumpers which is nice cause I like to see out the back.
thanks alot man, its a decent bumper/carrier but your gonna have to mess with it and adjust it for it to be easy enough for your wife to use. Mine i have to like shoulder it and it doesnt swing that great but ive seen people with them at meets that it works great because they spent time adjusting it. Next time maybe comment on my build, dont like hijacking his thread.
Guns003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #87
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

Going to Rausch this sunday, won't be doing too much as I still have the stock shocks in the rear. A friend wants me to join him as it'll be his first time, so it'll mostly be blues and maybe I'll venture down some blacks. Anyone is welcome to join
Unread 04-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #88
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

Small update for sunday, I'm now running trimmed 7" wide tj flares, also relocated my evap canister, don't really have any pics as of yet as its still in the super tiny garage.
Unread 04-04-2014, 09:46 PM   #89
mtnbiker995
Livin the dream

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Small update for sunday, I'm now running trimmed 7" wide tj flares, also relocated my evap canister, don't really have any pics as of yet as its still in the super tiny garage.
TJ flares?? Why's that? Front or rear?
mtnbiker995 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #90
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Tjs rape... Id do it...

Tags
jeep , jk , stretched , stretched jk , stretched two door

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.