PirateLegs TJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > PirateLegs TJ Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
Piratelegs
1998 TJ Wrangler 

PirateLegs TJ Build

Just bought my first Jeep a few weeks ago; a '98 Wrangler Sahara.

(my s2000 in the background)

It has a lot of miles on it but looked to be in pretty good condition and was a good deal so I picked it up. On the drive home I noticed the dash getting dim and radio turning on and off. It ended up dieing right as I pulled into my driveway. I knew it must be the alternator, I contacted the seller and he apologized for the oversight and bought me an alternator (opted for the 120amp). Swapped that out asap

But so far I'm LOVING the Jeep. So much fun to drive, and way different than driving my car.

Last edited by Piratelegs; 12-13-2012 at 07:36 AM..
Piratelegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
Piratelegs
1998 TJ Wrangler 

A few days after buying the Jeep I had time to work on it. I noticed a rip in the serpentine belt so I swapped that out

Also replaced the air filter, changed the M/T fluid, and did a quick detail. While trying to take the skid plate off to change the tranny fluid, I ran into the damned Skidplate Nutserts issue. All three of the bolts on the passenger side stripped off the nutsert so I gave up and left the driver side alone, I managed to just change the fluid without removing the skid plate.

So since then I've been ordering a bunch of parts, Which I'll be installing soon
-New oem side mirrors
-New oem black fender flares
-Skidplate Nutsert kit from BlackmagicBrakes
-1LB black wrinkle powdercoat to recoat all the rusting door & trunk hinges
-Paracord for making some grab handles
-Nutserts for the side-step mounts (most are stripped in the frame)
and more I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Free mods I'll be doing soon:
-Plasti-dip black the headlight bezels (possible whole grille too)
-Remove milk jugs from rear bumper
-Cut front bumper narrower (right side is all bent from being hit)
-relocate lights on bumper
-removing side steps & rocker panel covers
-sandblasting & powdercoating hood, door, trunk and windshield hinges
Unread 12-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome! It looks like a good start.
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
Piratelegs
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wooo and packages arrived!

Hopefully I'll have some time to do some work on it this weekend.

I've also been researching for a few weeks about lift kits, tires & wheel setups. Im on a semi-budget and not looking to do any crazy offroading just yet. Between working fulltime and college fulltime I dont have much free time to do wheel. But come summer I'm sure that will change. After lots of research I decided on the Zone 3" suspension lift kit, which I bought last night at rockridge4wd for a great price (nitro shock upgrade, solid links) Which will be enough for me for now, If it's not high enough then down the road I'll do a 1.25" body lift and 1" motor mount lift and go from there.

I'm also about to pull the trigger on a set of BFG KM2's in 33x10.5x15 on black pro-comp D-window 15x8's (cant decide on gloss or flat black, any suggestions?) just trying to find the best vendor out there. Tire rack has the tires cheapest but not the wheels and they charge a lot for shipping. 4wd.com is looking good because I can get everything shipped to my door all from one vendor and already mounted and balanced
Unread 12-13-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Check out Northridge 4x4. They ship for free over $100. There is a Northridge vendor on here somewhere. Try pm'ing him for the best deal. Package deals help.
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
reichard117
2000 TJ Wrangler 

treaddepot.com is where we get all our tires look there too.
cant see the pictures due to the DAM proxy server at school! :
reichard117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
Piratelegs
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepig View Post
Check out Northridge 4x4. They ship for free over $100. There is a Northridge vendor on here somewhere. Try pm'ing him for the best deal. Package deals help.
Thanks! they have great prices, Free shipping AND free mounting and balancing. But they don't carry any steel wheels
Unread 12-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
Piratelegs
1998 TJ Wrangler 

News: Finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Zone 3" lift w/ nitro shock upgrade (got a great deal @ rockridge4wd) and a set of 33x10.5R15 BFG KM2's mounted on 15x8 Pro-comp 52 series black d-window steelies, also got a great deal on these thanks to Jim @ 4wd.com. Thanks Jim! CANT WAIT for these packages.

Worked on the jeep a bit this weekend. Taking the fender flares off was a ROYAL PITA. Word to the wise, do not even attempt to install new flares if you don't have a dremel w/ a cutoff wheel and one of these (8mm). Also removed the steps

And the girlfriend helping out

So finally got all the fenders on (after about 8 hours), still debating about whether or not to install the fender extensions. Took it for a wash the next day

Very happy with the look

Next day I installed rocker covers (for now, eventually upgrade to some armor)

Went ahead to trim the front bumper. The right side was crushed in from the previous owner so I tried a bit to straighten it out first. Did a pretty good job by sticking a bolt through and hooking a crowbar onto the bolt for leverage

Then taped off the bumper and made a few cuts

the lights WILL be moved to the center of the bumper, I just didn't have time yet to extend the wires on the light harness, that will be done this weekend. Touched it up with some flat black spraypaint, looks good!

Got some snow today!

Will update this week when the wheels, tires & lift come in!!!
Unread 12-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome start. I really like the way you fixed the front bumper, it looks sharp. Little jealous you got snow up in mass today - still coming to terms with the fact that I probably wont see as much snow since I moved down to CT.
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.