Phillips 03 Rubicon Build +1 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Phillips 03 Rubicon Build +1

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
Phillip
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Phillips 03 Rubicon Build +1

I'm somewhat new to the forum, but have been browsing a while. Thought I would get started and post up the latest addition to the Jeep.

To start off, I picked up a 2003 TJ Rubicon a few years ago. It had a few nice mods, so was attractive for a newbie to the Jeep world. The previous owner installed a 3.5" RELA, PSC Cage, Bumpers, Kilby OBA, and a few other small goodies.

After figuring the Jeep out, I slapped on some new springs, steering, armor, cage, seats, and progressed from 33" to 35" to 37" tires. Once things in the suspension started to wear, I added 5" of additional wheelbase to the rig.

This setup worked well, but wasn't exactly what it should be. This past May, the rear locker let go the first day in Moab. Being tired of reliability issues, I wanted to upgrade to something stronger. Also, instead of using the existing suspension, I thought it would be fun and challenging to build a new one on my own. Having seen Jon's Jeep perform the previous year, I knew what needed to be done.

Upon returning home, I got on the phone and ordered a few parts from David at Northridge4x4. I had previously spoken with Blaine a time or two over the phone, so started my build plan with him. After a LOT of time consuming questions of Blaine, I was finally ready to start building.

Its hard to picture an idea 100% over the phone, so I took the information that was provided and built around that. Between 80 hour work weeks for the business, it took nearly 5 months to complete the build. Its not perfect, but will work this go around.

I've still got some things to change. Once the Savvy skid is available, it will replace the RE center section. Along with the skid, the rear suspension will be changed out to a shorter setup that's tucked up out of the way. Full aluminum armor will go along with the Savvy skid. Also, will keep an eye on the aluminum arms. If I have troubles, will swap in regular arms.

While my Jeep was going through the transformation, My Dad did the same to his Jeep. I built the front components as my Dad built the rear. This route made it more efficient in building two Jeeps.

As for the performance, everything is doing good. The brakes are simply AMAZING!!! The brakes Blaine suggested will flat out stop the Jeep.

Again, a big thanks to my Dad, Blaine, and David for all the help.

Anyway, on with a few pics.

Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
Phillip
2003 TJ Wrangler 

And some from the recent break in run.

Unread 10-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
97Carter02
1997 TJ Wrangler 

two great looking jeeps! props to you and your dad
(o)_)--(o)_)--o-)_)
97Carter02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
Normis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Absolutely !
Normis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
kyleboender
2005 LJ Wrangler 

awesome!
kyleboender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
Phillip
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks.

After the first run, my Jeep developed a small steering issue. I had time to check things out Sunday, and found a bent hydraulic ram. Looks like the next mod is a skid plate for the ram.
Unread 10-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #7
SkinnyPedal

Nice job Phillip!!!!!!
SkinnyPedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
shark02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

very nice jeeps! how much are they stretched? and what size gas tank did you use? also, where in oklahoma are you from? Thanks!
shark02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
2000BB6
2000 XJ Cherokee 

nice, did you chop an ARB bumper?? i think it looks better lol good job
Unread 10-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
Phillip
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPedal View Post
Nice job Phillip!!!!!!
Thanks. They still have some changes left in them, but will work for the time being.

Oh yea, I hope to install the Eon lights before long.
Unread 10-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #11
Phillip
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark02 View Post
very nice jeeps! how much are they stretched? and what size gas tank did you use? also, where in oklahoma are you from? Thanks!

Thanks. They are around 100-101" wheelbase. Both Jeeps are running the 19 gallon tank from Gen-Right. The rear axle takes up a little extra room, so lost an inch of stretch compared to the factory D44. I'm near Clayton, so enjoy the wheeling down that way often.
Unread 10-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #12
Phillip
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000BB6 View Post
nice, did you chop an ARB bumper?? i think it looks better lol good job
Thanks. Yea, that's a cut up ARB bumper. I actually chopped it up a few years ago. It and the 37" MTR's didn't get along well. I had planned on cleaning it up, but ditched that idea in favor of a Savvy bumper.

The ARB is a pain to deal with in a few ways. Accessing the steering box connections is hard. Also, the winch is left with very little room. And the worst part, is it sticks forward of the frame a few inches.

Based on the tracking number, I should have the Savvy bumper sometime Thursday.
Unread 10-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #13
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wow. NICE AXLES. Those are two VERY nice rigs.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #14
BramS
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.
BramS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #15
Phillip
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Tested the jeep a few weeks ago. So far, everything is working great.

[img]

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.