Pedro's 05 LJ-R Build "The Banana" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Pedro's 05 LJ-R Build "The Banana"

IRON CROSS Jeep JK Front and Rear STUBBY BUMPERS IN STOCK Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 01-22-2015, 02:01 AM   #1
RFR2212
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Pedro's 05 LJ-R Build "The Banana"

I've started this post as a place to organize all my build info. It won't be a fast build by any means.... But I'd like to think efficient and effective. The point of this build is to wheel and wheel well. I don't DD the jeep and probably spends half the year sitting and the other half wheeling and out in the summer months. I try to keep it out of the Chicago winters.

Background:
Living in the midwest, the terrain isn't that exciting. I like to get my Jeeps out west (Moab/CO/SD.) I built a 95 YJ that was armored in metal cloak, D44's front and rear with alloy shafts and Lock Rights. The Jeep wheeled pretty darn good for what it was. I've also learned that trailering is the way to go. I've had probably 10 different trucks to pull with because I get bored and always think I can swing a deal to improve. Rarely has that worked out in actuality. After riding in a friends TJ, I saw it was a lot smoother than the YJ. So, the YJ was for sale and I sold a tow rig on a '07 2dr JK Sport with the intent of a daily driver/wheeler. That didn't last. The YJ wouldn't sell and was able to sell the JK and didn't lose on it. Found the LJ-R and continued the push in selling the YJ and I finally moved on, which allowed all the attention to the LJ-R aka the Banana.
The YJ:

The JK:

The LJ-R as i bought it:

Now, as I bought the LJ-R the previous owner had a jumbled lift and a variety of mods on it. So it gave me a good base to work from. Took it to the Badlands in Attica to test it out.

From there, I traded the 33's for 35's which turned into buying all new 35's and one original spare from the swap. Whoops. I added Nitro 5.13's to the mix but they failed to install properly. During the install, we learned with their gear sets, the pinion started to rub the locker housing as the mesh pattern was close to acceptable. Returned to Nitro and Yukons installed with no problems.

Now, I've since started adding Savvy aluminum arms, Metal Cloak front fenders, rear armor and LED tails. I've added a full compliment of rock lights and built a storage bin in the rear. I got bored with this, and sold my wheels and tires and found a set of AEV Pintler beadlocks with the TJ pattern. Done! Bought them and added a set of used BFG A/T's and this is how it sits. In a week, should have upgraded to some 37in Pitbull Rockers in a trade for my wheels/tires.

I wheeled my YJ in CO and UT as well as Indiana. The LJ has seen Indiana, South Dakota and the Ouray CO area. This is the current tow setup but am now building my brothers '96 Dodge 2500 diesel.

Future plans include:
Alloy shafts
Savvy arms
New rear bumper/carrier
Possible 1 ton steering
Full cage
Anti-Rock's

I also have a D60 pumpkin in the shed waiting for a build. Who knows, that may be built, may be sold.

Hope y'all enjoy and questions/comments are welcome.

RFR2212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2015, 08:24 AM   #2
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Good looking LJ. I have one too and run the same wheels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.