After driving it for the last few days, and getting to put about 45 miles of interstate today, here is my assessment.
Items to address: Shackle angle, I need relocation brackets
Sway bars/links don't have anything right now, stock links were way too short, considering the amount of time I spend on the interstate, I want them, may even look into larger options, supposedly a ZJ swaybar is very similar.....
Long arms are on the short list, I'm getting old enough I want a smoother ride
Caster angle out of my comfort zone, mildly twitchy at interstate speeds, wanders easily, will be fixed with long arms
Brakes leave much to be desired, going to start with rear discs and if I still don't like it, WJ disc conversion.
Power steering pump more than adequate, coil springs seem to be a good choice.
Still undecided on leave springs with the add-a-leaf until I correct shackle angle
Since I used to work for 4wp I got a hook up on the price on top of their retail price, which helped a bit. I don't have the time to try and fab a belly pan, hell I barely have the time to install the one I bought. It was worth the money to buy this one, that only needs minor modification to work with the Poly long arm brackets, especially since they appear to work so well together.
Well I had a feeling that 4" lift, 33" tires, and no extended bump stops would lead to cut tires and bent fenders so I did some trimming to the fronts, took it to the outer edge of the fender flares, luckily the flares had left a nice line in the paint to follow.
This evening after work we went to work on the rear
I'm loving the look, but I need to go back and clean up a little overspray. I didn't have any masking tape handy, and didn't want to leave any bare metal, not a big deal, I'll probably fix it in the morning.
looking good! get that crossmember in and take a clearnace shot!
__________________ "He almost broke the land speed record in 1977, popular opinion amongst his team was that his beard caused to much wind resistance. He would have shaved it… No, no he wouldn’t have."
Sad to say it, but there is a pending sale of the MJ. It's been too long since I've been able to make any progress on it, and I just don't have the time/money to do what needs to happen to move forward with it. None of the parts I've gathered for the build are going with it, only the remains of the stock parts. The shortened bed isn't going, only the tailgate and skins.
The guy's a minister, a friend of a friend of my Dads, who has an MJ that the body is in rough shape, and asked about it. The biggest decision maker was when I was up there a couple weeks ago, when I pulled the remainder of the drivers side floorboard out in about 5 seconds, and it looked about like the bottom of a bag of chips after someone sat on them. He will be able to get it back on the road a lot sooner than I can. I'm using the money made from the sale to buy the Poly long arm brackets and the HD Offroad shackle relocation brackets, also I need to replace the TPS, front calipers, and brake hoses(RE extended stainless), since the 4" lift and wheeling trip was probably too much for 19 year old brake lines.
So the brake lines have taken longer to get here than originally anticipated, so I decided to paint my calipers. Painted them red since everyone knows that makes them high performance. But after I painted them I saw it takes 7 days for the paint to cure, so even after a couple days the paint was still tacky, so I decided to speed up the process and bake them. I had to improvise since the wife would really frown on me using her oven to bake car parts.
I hung around after work the other day and made use of the brake lathe, grabbed my heat gun, and some wire...
About 15 min on high heat and the part was very warm to the the touch, and the paint was still a little tacky feeling, after about 20 min for everything to cool down and the paint was hard and could be handled carelessly.
So I didn't do anything to the Jeep today, but I did help my Dad drop a new engine in his 61 Impalla, that has been in the family since I was barely a year old. We just pulled a nearly stock 348 and swapped in this:
'62 409 block
Bored .030 over/Stroker 454 crank, displacement increased to 474ci
Full roller, Comp custom roller cam with 4-7 swap(switch 4/7 in the firing order), Comp roller rockers
Edlebrock 409 Performer Aluminum heads and intake Manifold
Edlebrock 600cfm carb(750 coming)
Edlebrock aluminum waterpump
Holley high performance fuel pump
Doug Thorley long tube headers, ceramic coated
Magnaflow 2.5" mandrel bent, stainless exhaust, header back
3 core aluminum radiator
Volvo fan and controller, Auto Meter Sport-Comp II Pro-Control Coolant Temp Gauge, works as a programmable high and low temp switch for the Volvo controller
And this is the very deserving recipient of the heart transplant: