Parking lot Pre-Runner - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Parking lot Pre-Runner

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 08-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #76
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler
 
RockRodHooligan's Avatar
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Noblesville, Indiana
Posts: 5,269
I should have the last bit of the stuff I need to finish my Taurus fan swap next week, since I got the fan, temp switch pigtail, and relay controller for free(payment for working on guys jeeps), I was ok with spending a bit of money to get the other parts to set it up the way I want to.

Fan(90-95 Taurus, Sable, and Continental w/3.8L)
Volvo fan relay(various models 91-07)
BMW cooling fan switch(92-97 318i/318ti) 176/190*F or 195/210*F you choose, I went 195/210(low kicks on at 195*, high at 210*)
M14-1.5 to 3/8 npt adaptor(http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...mpSending.html)
Inline coolant temp sensor housing(http://www.steigerperformance.com/dif.cgi?SP40001)

Plan is to have power wired hot to the ignition with the fan automatically controlled by the BMW switch, so if the key is in the run position the fan has power to it, and can stay on/kick on automatically if needed, or I can manually override the BMW switch to turn on either speed via 3 way rocker switch, with an LED light to let me know whenever the high speed fan comes on.

I have an idea how it will need to be wired up to achieve this, but am going to wait till I have everything wired up to make sure what I have in my head is right, before I post it on here

__________________
96 XJ:Parking lot Pre-Runner

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #77
chris87xj
Jeepaholic
 
chris87xj's Avatar
1987 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 6,043
I like that fan plan.
Let me know if you need help with the wiring.
__________________
***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #78
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler
 
RockRodHooligan's Avatar
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Noblesville, Indiana
Posts: 5,269
Got the parts to do the inline temp switch in finally. Here is the pig tail I picked off of a '98 3 series BMW out of the junk yard, switch, M14-1.5 to 3/8 npt adaptor, and inline temp sensor housing.



The wedding is Sunday, so not going to get anything done on it this weekend. Still have a trip left to make to the junk yard so I can dissect the PDC of a junked car and grab a few pieces for the power supply to the Volvo relay block.

I'm going to have to draw up the plan for the wiring and send it to you Chris, I think I've got the automatic temp control figured out, but I'm having problems trying to figure out how to wire the manual over ride switch, and LED for the high speed fan.
__________________
96 XJ:Parking lot Pre-Runner

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #79
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler
 
RockRodHooligan's Avatar
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Noblesville, Indiana
Posts: 5,269
Add a new starter and NSS to the list of work done.

Taurus fan is in, it's not exactly hard mounted in there, well the temp switch is, just didn't have the time to get everything the way I wanted, still need to make another trip to the junk yard for the PDC and a few other things. I'm also playing around with the way the fan mounts on the radiator, I'm experimenting with this shroud, I think I will be able to mount the fan width wise, with the fan to the passenger side, and heavily trimming the rest away untill I can fit the factory aux fan in its stock location. I'm thinking I may just do a Volvo fan and make my own shroud out of aluminum sheet metal.

The alternator may have a few issues keeping up with the power draw that the new fan puts on the system; Fan(low speed), head lights(with the upgraded harness), radio, and a/c on starts to move the voltage needle. I'm going to bet that if the high speed fan kicks on the alternator isn't going to like it. High output alternator has been on the list of upgrades every since I upgraded the battery and cables, been looking at the 136A one from the 5.9 in the ram trucks and 5.9 ZJ that most people are running. I was board at work the other day and accidently stumbled on a 136A alt used in 97-98 XJs, I'm guessing with the police package in leu of an extended idle switch.



These are O'Reilly part numbers, 90A on the right, 136A on the left, 6 groove pulley already to go.
__________________
96 XJ:Parking lot Pre-Runner

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #80
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler
 
RockRodHooligan's Avatar
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Noblesville, Indiana
Posts: 5,269
Oh and......

And my favorite decoration



All in all it went very well for being planned in 5 weeks lol
__________________
96 XJ:Parking lot Pre-Runner

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #81
chris87xj
Jeepaholic
 
chris87xj's Avatar
1987 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 6,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan View Post
I'm going to have to draw up the plan for the wiring and send it to you Chris, I think I've got the automatic temp control figured out, but I'm having problems trying to figure out how to wire the manual over ride switch, and LED for the high speed fan.
That's right up my alley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan View Post
Oh and......
Congratulations!
__________________
***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #82
Imped
Web Wheeler
 
Imped's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 19,307
No sweet pics of your wedding party?

How rude.
__________________
OlllllllO
Float Test Build
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #83
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler
 
RockRodHooligan's Avatar
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Noblesville, Indiana
Posts: 5,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
No sweet pics of your wedding party?

How rude.
Still getting pictures that were taken from people, but it looks like there was only one pic taken of the entire wedding party, or this was the best one taken. Ah well.
image.jpg  
__________________
96 XJ:Parking lot Pre-Runner

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #84
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler
 
RockRodHooligan's Avatar
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Noblesville, Indiana
Posts: 5,269
Nabbed a PDC from the JY so I could add a more permanent power source that I'm using unused maxi fuse spots for the fan and headlight harness. I will probably end up filling in all the empty fuse spots with the extras I got out of the junk yard PDC for future use, as well as start working on filling the empty relay spots.



I was able to disassemble it with a tech driver and a small Allen wrench to press the pin back. Luckily I had no need for the extra PDC, just the pins for the wiring, so I was able to break a little of the plastic to figure out how to get the first couple out, after that they practically fell out.

The fan is still hot to the battery, so it stays on even after it turn off the ignition, until the coolant temps get low enough to shut it off. It hasn't caused any problems yet, but I can see it only being a matter of time till I come out to a dead battery in the morning. So the next step is to wire it so the fan only gets power when the ignition has power, I'll figure it out eventually, just have to sit down and force myself to figure out how to do it.
__________________
96 XJ:Parking lot Pre-Runner

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #85
chris87xj
Jeepaholic
 
chris87xj's Avatar
1987 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 6,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan View Post
I'm going to have to draw up the plan for the wiring and send it to you Chris, I think I've got the automatic temp control figured out, but I'm having problems trying to figure out how to wire the manual over ride switch, and LED for the high speed fan.
Sure thing anytime. The over-ride is pretty easy, just run your control signal (like maybe the wire feeding the temp sensor) through a set of normally-closed relay contacts and use your in-cab switch to energerize the relay and open the contacts. I'd use a switch with an indicator light when on to remind you to turn it off and release the fan to thermostatic control as soon as feasible.

If you can find a wire that's only energized when the fan is in high-speed mode, like maybe coming out of the temp sensor, you could just piggyback your LED indicator to it in parallel. The internal resistance of an LED is so high that it wouldn't make any difference in terms of current or voltage bleed off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan View Post
The fan is still hot to the battery, so it stays on even after it turn off the ignition, until the coolant temps get low enough to shut it off. It hasn't caused any problems yet, but I can see it only being a matter of time till I come out to a dead battery in the morning. So the next step is to wire it so the fan only gets power when the ignition has power, I'll figure it out eventually, just have to sit down and force myself to figure out how to do it.
Feed the power to the temp sensor through another relay but use the normally-open contacts on this one. Pull a feed from the radio or similar accessory-switched circuit to energize the relay coil only when the key is on.
__________________
***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #86
84jeepcj7rock
Senior Member
 
84jeepcj7rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Marietta, Ga
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan
Nabbed a PDC from the JY so I could add a more permanent power source that I'm using unused maxi fuse spots for the fan and headlight harness. I will probably end up filling in all the empty fuse spots with the extras I got out of the junk yard PDC for future use, as well as start working on filling the empty relay spots.

I was able to disassemble it with a tech driver and a small Allen wrench to press the pin back. Luckily I had no need for the extra PDC, just the pins for the wiring, so I was able to break a little of the plastic to figure out how to get the first couple out, after that they practically fell out.

The fan is still hot to the battery, so it stays on even after it turn off the ignition, until the coolant temps get low enough to shut it off. It hasn't caused any problems yet, but I can see it only being a matter of time till I come out to a dead battery in the morning. So the next step is to wire it so the fan only gets power when the ignition has power, I'll figure it out eventually, just have to sit down and force myself to figure out how to do it.
I have the same issue with my fan. I was goin to wire in a switch to turn it off manually, but I wa scared my wife might take it and fry the engine. The other thought was to wire it to the ignition but I didn't want the load on while trying to start it. Buddy of mine suggested using a pressure switch on the oil pump. That way it will have a delay when starting. Gonna try this soon.





know, I know—I’m starting to sound like Ron Popeil. But it’s been some time since I used a tool as cunning as this little device, which can do everything from replacing a broken hose clamp on a fuel line or seizing a rope end to repairing a stress-fractured luggage rack on a motorcycle or splinting a broken tie rod on a Land Rover.
84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #87
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler
 
RockRodHooligan's Avatar
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Noblesville, Indiana
Posts: 5,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Sure thing anytime. The over-ride is pretty easy, just run your control signal (like maybe the wire feeding the temp sensor) through a set of normally-closed relay contacts and use your in-cab switch to energerize the relay and open the contacts. I'd use a switch with an indicator light when on to remind you to turn it off and release the fan to thermostatic control as soon as feasible.
The longer I have this set up, the less I feel the want/need for a manual over ride. Maybe I'll feel differently when I get more checked off the to do list and can start using the jeep more offroad.

Quote:
If you can find a wire that's only energized when the fan is in high-speed mode, like maybe coming out of the temp sensor, you could just piggyback your LED indicator to it in parallel. The internal resistance of an LED is so high that it wouldn't make any difference in terms of current or voltage bleed off.
I figured it would be something like that. For the time being, I'll hold off till I get a few more things fixed, like a higher output alternator, as I know when the high speed fan kicks on because my voltage gauge drops to about 12.

I'll probably wire the LED when I do the 136A alternator

Quote:
Feed the power to the temp sensor through another relay but use the normally-open contacts on this one. Pull a feed from the radio or similar accessory-switched circuit to energize the relay coil only when the key is on.
I got to thinking about this again the other day after reading this. I don't like that my cigarette lighter only works with the key on, kind of annoying when I'm trying to charge my phone. So I think I'm going to use the existing lighter wiring to power the fan relays, and rewire the cigarette lighter hard to the battery via the PDC like I did for the fan and lights.
__________________
96 XJ:Parking lot Pre-Runner

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #88
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler
 
RockRodHooligan's Avatar
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Noblesville, Indiana
Posts: 5,269
Well I've got a tick that has developed in (hopefully) the top end. Last time I thought it was a top end tick, it ended up being a broken piston skirt that led to my 01 getting scraped. So I tried a few things tonight to deep clean the oiling system(not a bad idea with 220k). Normally I put 1/3 can of Seafoam in the crank case and run it for about 300 miles, then change my oil. I used Seafoam and decided to add a quart of ATF and am going to change the oil tomorrow night after work, about 50 miles.

How well it works will determine how fast I have to work. I've got an extra Comp cam, lifters, and timing gears, and a gasket kit meant for my other engine build laying around. So I'm going to go down to the junk yard and grab an extra head and get it machined for Hesco valves and valve springs, 99+ intake, and if I can squeeze it in the finances, APN header, upgraded 4 hole injectors, and I have a buddy working on adapting a throttle body from a Subaru 2.5L flat 4 for Jeep use, weighing in at just over 63mm stock.... Stock 4.0L is 55mm.
__________________
96 XJ:Parking lot Pre-Runner

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #89
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler
 
RockRodHooligan's Avatar
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Noblesville, Indiana
Posts: 5,269
Well the upper end tick ended up being the evap purge solenoid. I removed the bracket that it mounts to when I test fit the heat shield for the THOR cowl intake, and had set it on the ledge at the top of the firewall the day before, the sound of the solenoid cycling was transferring through the firewall, making it sound like an engine tick..... But don't tell the wife

So I have been given the green light to dig into the engine, only because I've got a large portion of parts already. Custom grind Comp Cam, lifters, and timing chain, Victor Reinz gasket kit...

I've got a few options for what to do with the top end-

1) Rebuild the head that's in my jeep now. I have rockers and push rods from a very low mileage motor that I will be using, but I'll still need new valves, springs, keepers, locks, etc. I figured up about $250 in parts, and I was quoted around $100 for the machine work. But then I have to deal with the down time waiting for the machine work to be finished. $350

2) Get a head from the junkyard, $45, plus the $350 for parts and machining above, and I have some time to do some port/polish work. $400

3) Clearwater cylinder head- new, complete $455 shipped

So the Clearwater head is the obvious choice.

Custom grind cam from Comp that allows me to run stock valve springs(they are making it now)
New Clearwater cylinder head
99+ intake manifold
Header
__________________
96 XJ:Parking lot Pre-Runner

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #90
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler
 
RockRodHooligan's Avatar
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Noblesville, Indiana
Posts: 5,269

New custom cam just come in
__________________
96 XJ:Parking lot Pre-Runner

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.