From Overhaul to Overkill. The Ballad of a TJ - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > From Overhaul to Overkill. The Ballad of a TJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Reply
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #121
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42 View Post

D. If you want to pay for $125 plus for just off the shelf pads that are renamed go for it.
Have you tried those renamed pads ? I have , and they are amazing .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42 View Post
D. Amazon has the Centric Premium rotors, those Raybestos pads etc for great pricing and normally free shipping. I assume you have drum brakes rear? Best off getting a raybestos shoe set and a generic drum kit from whoever has em cheapest locally. For the same quality parts you can do it for around $200 less.
http://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Fro...-477-67045.htm
Pads and Rotors for $235 and you get the JF discount on them .

What bugs me is that if these had Metal Cloaks name on them you would have them on your lawnmower . I have run premium ceramic pads and now the Savvys . The difference between the two is significant .

__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #122
AndyE
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 628
Jeep Thoughts of the Day:
Spent some time researching shocks, trying to see what my choices might be when the time comes. It seems the most popular and best riding choices are Old Man Emu, Rancho, and Bilstein. I dug around and found the published extended and collapsed lengths and made myself a small chart for quick reference after I have measurements from my Jeep.

F Old Man Emu N66: Extended 22.4" Collapsed 13.2" 9.2" of travel
R Old Man Emu N67: Extended 22.1" Collapsed 13.3" 8.8" of travel

F Rancho RS9000XL RS999128: Extended 20.5" Collapsed 13.25" 7.25" of travel
R Rancho RS9000XL RS999241: Extended 20.88" Collapsed 13.63" 7.25" of travel

F Bilstein 5100 BIL24-186810: Extended 21.18" Collapsed 13.06" 8.12" of travel
R Bilstein 5100 BIL24-186827: Extended 20.08" Collapsed 12.81" 7.27" of travel

Now I just need to measure my suspension and see where it falls.
__________________
Build Thread The Ballad of a TJ

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #123
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,311
I can comment on the OMEs as I am running them . The ride is good on and off road . The only negative I have really heard is that they heat up if pushed hard and then they fade away . I havent had that problem with mine as I am old and drive slow
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #124
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE View Post
Jeep Thoughts of the Day:
Spent some time researching shocks, trying to see what my choices might be when the time comes. It seems the most popular and best riding choices are Old Man Emu, Rancho, and Bilstein. I dug around and found the published extended and collapsed lengths and made myself a small chart for quick reference after I have measurements from my Jeep.

F Old Man Emu N66: Extended 22.4" Collapsed 13.2" 9.2" of travel
R Old Man Emu N67: Extended 22.1" Collapsed 13.3" 8.8" of travel

F Rancho RS9000XL RS999128: Extended 20.5" Collapsed 13.25" 7.25" of travel
R Rancho RS9000XL RS999241: Extended 20.88" Collapsed 13.63" 7.25" of travel

F Bilstein 5100 BIL24-186810: Extended 21.18" Collapsed 13.06" 8.12" of travel
R Bilstein 5100 BIL24-186827: Extended 20.08" Collapsed 12.81" 7.27" of travel

Now I just need to measure my suspension and see where it falls.
I think you'll find those are all going to be a little short.... But until you start measuring won't know for sure.
gst95dsm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 06:24 AM   #125
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Have you tried those renamed pads ? I have , and they are amazing .



http://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Fro...-477-67045.htm
Pads and Rotors for $235 and you get the JF discount on them .

What bugs me is that if these had Metal Cloaks name on them you would have them on your lawnmower . I have run premium ceramic pads and now the Savvys . The difference between the two is significant .
Im actually not all things Metal Cloak. Yes, I love their fenders, bumpers, control arms etc, but quite a few of their products I am not a fan of(Like their trackbars and springs to name a few)for one reason or another.

I have no issues with the BM brakes either other than the fact that all the items are just double marked up or rebadged. Its not like these are some custom made, specially formulated products. If Metal Cloak or any other company just took X product and marked it up even further, Id have the same issue.

The package Andy mentioned I believe was more than just a pair of front rotors and pads. It was front and rear rotors/drums, front/rear pads/shoes and rear drum hardware and was listed as $475. After I did a quick search, I was able to come up with a total of $275 roughly.

For all I know $200 is a big deal to Andy(It would be for me). That $200 saved can go towards other upgrades he may also need.......and it seems he has a list of needs. If its not, then no big deal, but at least he has his options laid out in front of him one way or the other.

As for the pads, rotors, yes I run them. Centric Premium(OEM)rotors, and Raybestos ceramic pads(Stoptech Fleet 300 series also makes a pad nearly identical in performance for $45 a set). Night and day difference over the typical generic pads available and noticeably better than the overpriced EBC yellow pads.
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #126
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE View Post
Jeep Thoughts of the Day:
Spent some time researching shocks, trying to see what my choices might be when the time comes. It seems the most popular and best riding choices are Old Man Emu, Rancho, and Bilstein. I dug around and found the published extended and collapsed lengths and made myself a small chart for quick reference after I have measurements from my Jeep.

F Old Man Emu N66: Extended 22.4" Collapsed 13.2" 9.2" of travel
R Old Man Emu N67: Extended 22.1" Collapsed 13.3" 8.8" of travel

F Rancho RS9000XL RS999128: Extended 20.5" Collapsed 13.25" 7.25" of travel
R Rancho RS9000XL RS999241: Extended 20.88" Collapsed 13.63" 7.25" of travel

F Bilstein 5100 BIL24-186810: Extended 21.18" Collapsed 13.06" 8.12" of travel
R Bilstein 5100 BIL24-186827: Extended 20.08" Collapsed 12.81" 7.27" of travel

Now I just need to measure my suspension and see where it falls.
Add skyjackers M95 Monotubes as well:

Front 13.54" collapsed 22.79" Extended. Travel 9.25"
Rear 13.7" collapsed 22.57" extended Travel 8.87"

Also remember Teraflex has a rear shock relocator that reduces collasped travel an inch. If you have a 1" BL or more then they can be used. Quadratec sells em for $65.


Bilsteens and Rancho shocks have really short travel if your trying to stick with stock collasped lengths. Problem with both of them, is that if you want long travel shocks then their collasped length is very long and will require significant bumpstopping.

But this may not even be an issue, depends how much you need to bumpstop with the components/fenders you have. With my setup, I literally don't need any bumpstopping, and look to maximize uptravel. I can run a 2" lift on 33's and have over 5" uptravel on a 9" shock keeping the COG low and stable over obstacles. IMO when your on SA's and lifted a bit, having more uptravel bias is most beneficial.
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #127
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,384
Andy: What exactly is the end goal here? 33x10.5's on how much lift? 2"? 3"? And using stock fenders I assume?

It looks like your trying to do a similiar LCG build. By doing a tummy/gas skid tuck......low lift on 33's........with stock fenders. I would just like a summary from you to double check. If this is the case, then you need to find out what the limiting factor is on your uptravel, which looks like it would be the fenders possibly. If thats the case. You need to have the 33's on, with the springs and jounce bumpers out and stuff/cycle the front/rear axles to see exactly how much bumpstopping will be required due to the fenders/flares themselves and work from there. THen once you find out how much bumpstopping is needed due to the fenders, you can work your other products in for proper matching.
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #128
AndyE
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42 View Post
Andy: What exactly is the end goal here? 33x10.5's on how much lift? 2"? 3"? And using stock fenders I assume?

It looks like your trying to do a similiar LCG build. By doing a tummy/gas skid tuck......low lift on 33's........with stock fenders. I would just like a summary from you to double check. If this is the case, then you need to find out what the limiting factor is on your uptravel, which looks like it would be the fenders possibly. If thats the case. You need to have the 33's on, with the springs and jounce bumpers out and stuff/cycle the front/rear axles to see exactly how much bumpstopping will be required due to the fenders/flares themselves and work from there. THen once you find out how much bumpstopping is needed due to the fenders, you can work your other products in for proper matching.
My end game is 33's with stock fenders on my current RC 2.5 springs, and my underside tucked up. Hi-Lining the front is a possibility for the future, but it will be the AEV Hi-line kit if I do it.
__________________
Build Thread The Ballad of a TJ

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #129
redrelyt12
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE View Post
it will be the AEV Hi-line kit if I do it.
__________________
I never make the same mistake twice - it's more like three or four times.
Build - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/unlimicon-build-1477723/
redrelyt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #130
AndyE
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I can comment on the OMEs as I am running them . The ride is good on and off road . The only negative I have really heard is that they heat up if pushed hard and then they fade away . I havent had that problem with mine as I am old and drive slow
I heard the same. I usually take it easy and drive slow off road so I can better see the sights, so it shouldn't be a problem for me either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
I think you'll find those are all going to be a little short.... But until you start measuring won't know for sure.
We'll see. I just went and found the measurements for shocks in the 2-3" lift range. Figure they would be a good place to start, and I'll look bigger as required.
__________________
Build Thread The Ballad of a TJ

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #131
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE View Post
My end game is 33's with stock fenders on my current RC 2.5 springs, and my underside tucked up. Hi-Lining the front is a possibility for the future, but it will be the AEV Hi-line kit if I do it.
Do you know what those RC springs are rated at?

Do you have a BL already too?

33's(Assumption 10.5" wide with at LEAST 4" BSing) with a 2-2.5" lift AND a 1" BL I believe means your going to need to technically bumpstop 1" front and rear for full clearance. Thats with a 1" BL. Without, then your looking at 2".

But under the assumption 1" bumpstopping and a 1" BL, then your going to want to look at a shock with a compressed length 13.75-14" up front(Or 13.5" roughly with a bar pin eliminator) And 13.25-13.5" out(Or 14.25-14.5" out back with the Teraflex rear upper shock bracket)in back.

But you also have to factor in what your using for a front trackbar(THe Currie TJS allows for the most clearance when stuffed)if its not stock, and your steering setup.

I know you picked up the Currie Correctlync..........but not sure how great it is on clearance.....supposedly needs 2" bumpstopping minimum......but Ive heard conflicting reports on that one..........Im really shocked you grabbed that instead of doing the ZJ tierod upgrade..........since your running 33's, the ZJ probably would have served you much better, and saved you significant coin to put towards other areas of your rig.
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #132
AndyE
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42 View Post
Do you know what those RC springs are rated at?

Do you have a BL already too?

33's(Assumption 10.5" wide with at LEAST 4" BSing) with a 2-2.5" lift AND a 1" BL I believe means your going to need to technically bumpstop 1" front and rear for full clearance. Thats with a 1" BL. Without, then your looking at 2".

But under the assumption 1" bumpstopping and a 1" BL, then your going to want to look at a shock with a compressed length 13.75-14" up front(Or 13.5" roughly with a bar pin eliminator) And 13.25-13.5" out(Or 14.25-14.5" out back with the Teraflex rear upper shock bracket)in back.

But you also have to factor in what your using for a front trackbar(THe Currie TJS allows for the most clearance when stuffed)if its not stock, and your steering setup.

I know you picked up the Currie Correctlync..........but not sure how great it is on clearance.....supposedly needs 2" bumpstopping minimum......but Ive heard conflicting reports on that one..........Im really shocked you grabbed that instead of doing the ZJ tierod upgrade..........since your running 33's, the ZJ probably would have served you much better, and saved you significant coin to put towards other areas of your rig.
Haven't searched here yet, but the RC web site says 115 for the first few coils then 160 for the rest of the spring. No BL yet but its at the top of the priority list. At this point I'm sticking with stock TB's. As far as the steering, I wanted to do it once and do it right. The Currie should last a good long while and I'll never have to worry about it on the trail. As far as possible clearance problem go, I guess we'll find out. I don't foresee any problems since I have stock TB's and a stock diff cover. Looking at its design it looks to be an up sized version of the stock system.
__________________
Build Thread The Ballad of a TJ

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #133
AndyE
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 628
Jeep Thoughts of the Day
Honestly no real thoughts for today. I'm currently finalizing where I'm going to order everything from and what the final cost will be. Hopefully I'll start ordering parts by the end of the week so I can get everything here and installed before we get too deep into spring. Just need the weather to warm up alittle bit more so I can paint.
__________________
Build Thread The Ballad of a TJ

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #134
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 12,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42 View Post
I have no issues with the BM brakes either other than the fact that all the items are just double marked up or rebadged. Its not like these are some custom made, specially formulated products. If Metal Cloak or any other company just took X product and marked it up even further, Id have the same issue.
If you are going to lie or run your mouth, especially concerning a vendor, you need to have your ducks in a row and not spout off as if you have some sort of inside scoop when you don't.

Troll someplace else.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #135
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler
 
bobthetj03's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lake County, Ca.
Posts: 4,844
I have nothing to add at this juncture, but your build perks my interest! MC CA's are intriguing! Can't go wrong with Currie JJ's! I run both. Trying to decide who will dominate! MC is local to me, so that may carry some weight!
__________________
Bob's boring build:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.