From Overhaul to Overkill. The Ballad of a TJ - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > From Overhaul to Overkill. The Ballad of a TJ

Long Arm kits for all JK models from Clayton Off RoadFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-25-2013, 05:06 AM   #106
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE View Post
I ruthlessly stole one of kate's wheels for a what if shot. Not bad with 33s and Moabs, would need some more lift though.

Hopefully next weekend I can get my ball joints and steering done.
I really like the "what if" shot. They look pretty good! I never saw how much my flex was limited- but I did run the 33s with no lift for a few months. Just limited me on tight u-turns a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Right on! Your's will be a snap with it all fresh in your head now. Good on you for selflessly helping out a fellow Jeeper when you had your own parts to install. I'm sure Kate would have understood if you did your's first and would have just as happily helped out as long as you got her chrome hood latches on.
It was very much so appreciated. It was a really fun day- right up until the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
Or some hi-lines
This

[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #107
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Right on! Your's will be a snap with it all fresh in your head now. Good on you for selflessly helping out a fellow Jeeper when you had your own parts to install. I'm sure Kate would have understood if you did your's first and would have just as happily helped out as long as you got her chrome hood latches on.
We figured Kate had the most to get done, and Andy owns the tools, so we might as well get hers done while we can!
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #108
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
We figured Kate had the most to get done, and Andy owns the tools, so we might as well get hers done while we can!
So.... have you guys dropped a transmission before? Im definitely going to get the tranny jack to make life easier but I still know the clutch won't be a one person job.

Unread 03-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #109
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
So.... have you guys dropped a transmission before? Im definitely going to get the tranny jack to make life easier but I still know the clutch won't be a one person job.
Never done anything transmission related.
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #110
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
Or some hi-lines
Believe me, I have entertained the idea of ordering up the AEV Hi-line kit. Looks alot cleaner imo than tube fenders. I'm just worried that by the time I'm ready to order it will be discontinued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
This

Quote:
I've helped drop an auto before, but have never installed a trans. I've also never done any clutch related work before.

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #111
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Believe me, I have entertained the idea of ordering up the AEV Hi-line kit. Looks alot cleaner imo than tube fenders. I'm just worried that by the time I'm ready to order it will be discontinued.

This

I've helped drop an auto before, but have never installed a trans. I've also never done any clutch related work before.
Ill do some research. I really would like to do the work myself if possible. I learned a hell of a lot this weekend. But if complexity dictates it be done professionally I have no problem putting it in a shop either.

Unread 03-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #112
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
But if complexity dictates it be done professionally I have no problem putting it in a shop either.
What does the Haynes say?
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #113
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Jeep thoughts of the day:
With spring rapidly approaching it's almost time to start the main part of stage 1. Which means finalizing my parts list is a high priority.
The current parts list:

-Sye and cv shaft: Not sure if I want to get the JB sye and order a TW shaft, or get the package from Savvy.

-Control arms: Currently a toss up between Savvy and Metal Cloak.

-Front and rear track bars: Stock replacements from wherever is cheapest and a JKS CV rear TB bracket.

-Front and rear sway bar links: Zone extended links front and rear.

-New shocks: Shooting for Bilstein, but I need to get some measurements before I pick.

-Front and rear brakes: Black Magic front and rear kit.

-Trac-loc rebuild: Need to find a Spicer kit, if one exists

Its finished for the most part, I just need to do some hard thinking on a few key parts.
A. Just 3 months ago it went from 1 member to 5 members in my group who are dumping their JJ arms/joints for MC duroflex joints and arms.

B. If you want a high quality SYE(Advanced Adaptors)and DS combo(one with FULL SPLINES, Spicers and slip boot)without the absurd TW price, then Look up Carolina Driveline. $350-450 for both the SYE and DS shipped to your door depending on options. Significantly cheaper....lifetime warranty

C. Unless your running really high rate springs, I'd highly suggest bypassing Bilsteens. So overrated for what they are. Poor(long) compressed lengths for minimal travel shocks........so many other choices out there that are better.

D. If you want to pay for $125 plus for just off the shelf pads that are renamed go for it.

E. Dont waste your time rebuilding the trak lok.....its clutch pack LSD......near worthless, does not have good linear power transfer........Eaton Truetrac is pretty much the only way to go.
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #114
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, I'd like to stay 10.5 wide, but I wouldn't be opposed to a wider tire. I've had my eye on the km2s since they come in 33x10.5, but reading about them here they seem hit or miss. It really comes down to whats going to be best for my needs, which include lots of street/ highway driving and trail riding mixed with small amounts of mild stuff. I love my BFG A/Ts as they work well for my needs, but one can't help but wonder if there's something better.

I'd be down for a weekend trip in a month or two. It will give me some time to get my Heep up to speed and any bugs worked out. How's the camping at RC?
Its pretty hard to beat BFG AT/KO's honestly. The 33x10.5" tire is great on the street, very low road noise and vibration,lasts forever, yet is alot more agressive off road than is given credit for. I like the MT KM2's as well, but I have yet to find any place where a KM2 can go that an AT KO can't, and the tread life is barely half as long as the AT KO's. IMO, stick with the BFG AT's, they technically are less than half the price of the KM2's and are better performers overall without question........if you really need something more agressive, then you should be looking at Interco tires. I have a set of 35x10.5's SS's I keep up north if I know the wheelin trip is going to be really heavy duty.
Unread 03-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #115
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

... I keep looking at your tire what if picture. The moabs look so much better on yours than mine. WHY?!?!?!

Unread 03-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #116
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42 View Post
Its pretty hard to beat BFG AT/KO's honestly. The 33x10.5" tire is great on the street, very low road noise and vibration,lasts forever, yet is alot more agressive off road than is given credit for. I like the MT KM2's as well, but I have yet to find any place where a KM2 can go that an AT KO can't, and the tread life is barely half as long as the AT KO's. IMO, stick with the BFG AT's, they technically are less than half the price of the KM2's and are better performers overall without question........if you really need something more agressive, then you should be looking at Interco tires. I have a set of 35x10.5's SS's I keep up north if I know the wheelin trip is going to be really heavy duty.
Not to derail the thread, but I just have to say I love going to Chunky's in Nashua, NH. That is all.
Unread 03-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #117
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
A. Just 3 months ago it went from 1 member to 5 members in my group who are dumping their JJ arms/joints for MC duroflex joints and arms.

B. If you want a high quality SYE(Advanced Adaptors)and DS combo(one with FULL SPLINES, Spicers and slip boot)without the absurd TW price, then Look up Carolina Driveline. $350-450 for both the SYE and DS shipped to your door depending on options. Significantly cheaper....lifetime warranty

C. Unless your running really high rate springs, I'd highly suggest bypassing Bilsteens. So overrated for what they are. Poor(long) compressed lengths for minimal travel shocks........so many other choices out there that are better.

D. If you want to pay for $125 plus for just off the shelf pads that are renamed go for it.

E. Dont waste your time rebuilding the trak lok.....its clutch pack LSD......near worthless, does not have good linear power transfer........Eaton Truetrac is pretty much the only way to go.
A. I plan on going with the metal cloak arms.

B. I'll have to check them out.

C. At this point I'm going to go with whatever shock best fits the measurements I get after cycling the suspension.

D. I'll look around some more, but when I do the brakes I plan on replacing everything. So the Black Magic kit is attractive because it comes with everything but wheel cylinders for the back. http://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Fro...AL58021-22.htm

E. Its already been struck from the list. I'll just live with my worn trac-lok until I do new gears with an E-locker front and Truetrac rear.

Quote:
At this point if I can't decide on an M/T I plan on getting the BFG A/Ts in 33X10.5.

Quote:
... I keep looking at your tire what if picture. The moabs look so much better on yours than mine. WHY?!?!?!
It's the blue.

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
Unread 03-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #118
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
A. I plan on going with the metal cloak arms.

B. I'll have to check them out.

C. At this point I'm going to go with whatever shock best fits the measurements I get after cycling the suspension.

D. I'll look around some more, but when I do the brakes I plan on replacing everything. So the Black Magic kit is attractive because it comes with everything but wheel cylinders for the back. http://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Fro...AL58021-22.htm

E. Its already been struck from the list. I'll just live with my worn trac-lok until I do new gears with an E-locker front and Truetrac rear.

F. I know the "M/T" tire is the sexy "internet" choice, but I strongly recommend the gold standard BFG AT KO's......they are that good. Not the sexiest choice of tires, but they are fantastic on road, and they are just as good off road too. If your ever up in NH look me up and join our group. We hit some very difficult terrain and trails. Its still the tire of choice for most of the long time veterans that I wheel with.

At this point if I can't decide on an M/T I plan on getting the BFG A/Ts in 33X10.5.

It's the blue.
A. SMart move, once you get em you will see why they are probably the best SA out there.

B. http://www.carolinadriveline.com/

C. I understand this completely. For very short compressed lengths with travel over 9" your looking at OME(Nitrocharger or Sports) and Skyjackers M95 which is an exceptional shock. Its a bit stiffer than nitrochargers but softer than the Sports. A well matched shock for spring rates in the 140-180 pound range.

D. Amazon has the Centric Premium rotors, those Raybestos pads etc for great pricing and normally free shipping. I assume you have drum brakes rear? Best off getting a raybestos shoe set and a generic drum kit from whoever has em cheapest locally. For the same quality parts you can do it for around $200 less.

E. You will love the truetrac LSD.......love mine.

F. I know the M/T is the sexy "internet" choice, but the BFG AT KO's are still the gold standard for a true all purpose tire. They are fantastic on road(No driving fatigue with these), and are just as good off road too. If your ever up in NH you should join my wheeling group. We do some very hard trails up in the outskirts of the White mountains, hitting steep riverbeds, old abandoned logging roads, lots of rocks, mud etc. Pretty much all of the longtime veterans use this tire exclusively still. Its that good.
Unread 03-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #119
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I know the M/T is the sexy "internet" choice, but the BFG AT KO's are still the gold standard for a true all purpose tire. They are fantastic on road(No driving fatigue with these), and are just as good off road too. If your ever up in NH you should join my wheeling group. We do some very hard trails up in the outskirts of the White mountains, hitting steep riverbeds, old abandoned logging roads, lots of rocks, mud etc. Pretty much all of the longtime veterans use this tire exclusively still. Its that good.
I agree 100% about the BFG A/Ts. I've run a set of 31s for the past 4 years and have never had any problems with them on road. They have never let me down out in the deserts or mountains of CA. I haven't had them off road yet here in the northeast, so it's nice to hear people have been using them with no problems. I'll keep you in mind. I defiantly plan on making a few trips north to NH this summer, and it would be nice to hook up with some locals.

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
Unread 03-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #120
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I agree 100% about the BFG A/Ts. I've run a set of 31s for the past 4 years and have never had any problems with them on road. They have never let me down out in the deserts or mountains of CA. I haven't had them off road yet here in the northeast, so it's nice to hear people have been using them with no problems. I'll keep you in mind. I defiantly plan on making a few trips north to NH this summer, and it would be nice to hook up with some locals.
Yeah bro, definetly hit me up. THe trails we hit are GORGEOUS, incredible views, and you WILL give your TJ a WORKOUT to see those views too.

One of the last trips last year, one of our members pulled some strings with his workplace(Bretton Woods) was able to get us all in to wheel up all over the ski trails(we had to sign waivers, lol)for an afternoon. Getting up and down some of those steep slopes was a white knuckle adventure without question. We had ALOT of safety lines/winch lines out that day. Alot of alcohol was consumed that evening, lol.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.