From Overhaul to Overkill. The Ballad of a TJ - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > From Overhaul to Overkill. The Ballad of a TJ

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Reply
Unread 03-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #76
AndyE
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 628
Jeep Picture of the Day:
I was digging around under the hood and noticed this.


Now I'm no expert on motor mounts, but that can't be good. I couldn't get a picture, but the driver side is just as bad. It's a good thing I already planned on doing a Brown Dog motor mount lift, because I think it and a Daystar 1" body lift just got pushed up on the priority list.

__________________
Build Thread The Ballad of a TJ

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #77
redrelyt12
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 942
I have DuraTracs on mine, and they've performed beautifully in rain and snow. Don't have a lot of experience with any of the others.
__________________
I never make the same mistake twice - it's more like three or four times.
Build - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/unlimicon-build-1477723/
redrelyt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #78
Kodiak17
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kutztown, PA/ Andover, NJ, Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,705
I paid $950 for my set of 5 KM2's. Between those tires, a big factor is weight vs strength. The KM2's and Duratracs won't last as long in the rocks as the MT/R's but are lighter.
__________________
Maintain, wheel, upgrade, repeat.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #79
AndyE
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
I paid $950 for my set of 5 KM2's. Between those tires, a big factor is weight vs strength. The KM2's and Duratracs won't last as long in the rocks as the MT/R's but are lighter.
Interesting. I don't play in the rock to often so that's not a big concern, but I would like to keep tire weight down if possible. I see your running 33x10.5 KM2s. How do you like them?
__________________
Build Thread The Ballad of a TJ

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #80
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,064
I ran 33x10.5 KM2 before my current 35x12.5 KM2 for a couple years, loved them, worked good for everything. I wouldn't hesitate to run them again anytime on a 33" rig. All Rock wheeling BTW..... amazingly tough when aired down below 10 psi.
gst95dsm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #81
AndyE
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
I ran 33x10.5 KM2 before my current 35x12.5 KM2 for a couple years, loved them, worked good for everything. I wouldn't hesitate to run them again anytime on a 33" rig. All Rock wheeling BTW..... amazingly tough when aired down below 10 psi.
Thanks for the testimony. After searching the wheel and tire section it's nice to hear from someone who has actually run them, run them hard, and doesn't wheel like a jack wagon. Over there the vast majority seems to think the KM2s and A/Ts are the worst thing since Hitler. Ranting and raving at how anything BFG is over rated, over priced, grossly under preforming, and have paper thin side walls that burst just looking at rocks. The same people also think that Goodyear tires are the second coming of Jesus. I'd like to think the truth for both lies somewhere in the middle, with each tire having pros and cons in different conditions and in different parts of the country.
__________________
Build Thread The Ballad of a TJ

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #82
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE View Post
Thanks for the testimony. After searching the wheel and tire section it's nice to hear from someone who has actually run them, run them hard, and doesn't wheel like a jack wagon. Over there the vast majority seems to think the KM2s and A/Ts are the worst thing since Hitler. Ranting and raving at how anything BFG is over rated, over priced, grossly under preforming, and have paper thin side walls that burst just looking at rocks. The same people also think that Goodyear tires are the second coming of Jesus. I'd like to think the truth for both lies somewhere in the middle, with each tire having pros and cons in different conditions and in different parts of the country.
From what I see, it's either just a stroke of bad luck when you get a cut, and it would have cut ANY tire, or it's the guy who won't air down below 10 psi who I see cut them.... but to be honest. I probably do about 20 trail runs a year, for last 5 years and come across hundreds of wheelers up there. And have seen very few punctures (less than 10)...... So few in fact, that I don't even carry my spare anymore on my local stuff. My buddies run ALL brands of tires, and aired down..... they all seem to do pretty damn good. I'm not driving each rig to feel when each ones breaks traction, but the only real difference I notice is when the A/T's get in the mud and pack instantly and won't clean out..... STUCK! So if you find yourself in the mud, or a lot of muck. A M/T of any brand is pretty important IMO. Now if you want to talk street manors and longevity, that's a whole nother story....If were talking M/T... it's either Goodyear, BFG or Mickey's..... in that order. IMO. Everything else I see in an M/T is pretty bad for a street driven "regularly" rig in regards to noise and wear. A/T's I think are pretty useless for me so I don't even think about them..... so I have no thoughts on them.
gst95dsm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #83
AndyE
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
From what I see, it's either just a stroke of bad luck when you get a cut, and it would have cut ANY tire, or it's the guy who won't air down below 10 psi who I see cut them.... but to be honest. I probably do about 20 trail runs a year, for last 5 years and come across hundreds of wheelers up there. And have seen very few punctures (less than 10)...... So few in fact, that I don't even carry my spare anymore on my local stuff. My buddies run ALL brands of tires, and aired down..... they all seem to do pretty damn good. I'm not driving each rig to feel when each ones breaks traction, but the only real difference I notice is when the A/T's get in the mud and pack instantly and won't clean out..... STUCK! So if you find yourself in the mud, or a lot of muck. A M/T of any brand is pretty important IMO. Now if you want to talk street manors and longevity, that's a whole nother story....If were talking M/T... it's either Goodyear, BFG or Mickey's..... in that order. IMO. Everything else I see in an M/T is pretty bad for a street driven "regularly" rig in regards to noise and wear. A/T's I think are pretty useless for me so I don't even think about them..... so I have no thoughts on them.
A fair assessment. You actually hit the nail on the head for why I'm looking to jump from A/Ts to M/Ts. In the dry wastelands of CA my A/Ts were perfect for me. Now that I'm in the not so dry northeast...I worry they my be inadequate in some situations. That and I no longer have to use the Jeep as an everyday driver, so I figure I might as well upgrade to a M/T when the time comes. I guess the big question becomes 33x10.5 BFGs or 33x12.5 Goodyears.
__________________
Build Thread The Ballad of a TJ

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #84
KateKGB
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Winsted, Connecticut
Posts: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE View Post
Jeep Picture of the Day:
I was digging around under the hood and noticed this.

Now I'm no expert on motor mounts, but that can't be good. I couldn't get a picture, but the driver side is just as bad. It's a good thing I already planned on doing a Brown Dog motor mount lift, because I think it and a Daystar 1" body lift just got pushed up on the priority list.
So - mml, bl and skid plates next in line for me. I'll contribute your brown dogs for helping me this weekend... and maybe next month. Good plan?
__________________
[COLOR="Teal"][SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kates-05-unlimited-rubi-learning-process-1426763/"] Chicks are allowed build threads here, right? [/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Sienna"]
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #85
AndyE
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
So - mml, bl and skid plates next in line for me. I'll contribute your brown dogs for helping me this weekend... and maybe next month. Good plan?
No payment necessary for services rendered, I'm more than happy to help. I would be for down for a mml, bl install party.
__________________
Build Thread The Ballad of a TJ

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #86
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE View Post
A fair assessment. You actually hit the nail on the head for why I'm looking to jump from A/Ts to M/Ts. In the dry wastelands of CA my A/Ts were perfect for me. Now that I'm in the not so dry northeast...I worry they my be inadequate in some situations. That and I no longer have to use the Jeep as an everyday driver, so I figure I might as well upgrade to a M/T when the time comes. I guess the big question becomes 33x10.5 BFGs or 33x12.5 Goodyears.
I would get the Goodyears.... damn good tire's, that you just can't seem to wear out. The BFG's are good too, but I've always had a little Goodyear envy. And the 10.5 DO look skinny... IMO the 12.5 look proper. They will both work good though, and the 10.5 may even work better. Sometimes the 10.5 can be had cheap since it's much less desirable or common.... so that may sway you.
gst95dsm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #87
redrelyt12
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE View Post
No payment necessary for services rendered, I'm more than happy to help. I would be for down for a mml, bl install party.
Interestingly Enough, I Have The Same Pair Of Things To Install. What The Heck is Wrong With My Phone...
__________________
I never make the same mistake twice - it's more like three or four times.
Build - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/unlimicon-build-1477723/
redrelyt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #88
Kodiak17
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kutztown, PA/ Andover, NJ, Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,705
I like my KM2's for a few reasons: Traction wise... the deep, wide lugs grab onto everything and I have yet to get stuck wheeling through a decent amount of mud and slippery rocks. For how much tread and traction you get, they have a pretty decent wear rating at 40k. And then the looks.. I get a few compliments On the other hand, with those deep, wide lugs comes more road noise. The minimal siping won't help you in rain or packed snow. And the sidewalls aren't the strongest as previously mentioned. Why did I go with them? They were a nice compromise between weight, price, looks, and performance. Do I regret it? Yes and no. With all the highway my rig sees, its hard to justify such an aggressive tire when I could've went with the Falkens. BUT, knowing I will have minimal traction issues in most conditions on and offroad gives me some peace of mind.
__________________
Maintain, wheel, upgrade, repeat.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #89
AndyE
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
I would get the Goodyears.... damn good tire's, that you just can't seem to wear out. The BFG's are good too, but I've always had a little Goodyear envy. And the 10.5 DO look skinny... IMO the 12.5 look proper. They will both work good though, and the 10.5 may even work better. Sometimes the 10.5 can be had cheap since it's much less desirable or common.... so that may sway you.
No doubt the Goodyears are good considering the vast majority of people seem to run them. The thread pattern drives me nuts though. I'm not sure if I like it or hate it. I guess we'll see how I feel after see Kate's tires in person this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
I like my KM2's for a few reasons: Traction wise... the deep, wide lugs grab onto everything and I have yet to get stuck wheeling through a decent amount of mud and slippery rocks. For how much tread and traction you get, they have a pretty decent wear rating at 40k. And then the looks.. I get a few compliments On the other hand, with those deep, wide lugs comes more road noise. The minimal siping won't help you in rain or packed snow. And the sidewalls aren't the strongest as previously mentioned. Why did I go with them? They were a nice compromise between weight, price, looks, and performance. Do I regret it? Yes and no. With all the highway my rig sees, its hard to justify such an aggressive tire when I could've went with the Falkens. BUT, knowing I will have minimal traction issues in most conditions on and offroad gives me some peace of mind.
Thanks for the input. It's nice hear first hand they do well on the road and highway in the majority of conditions, and you haven't had any problems with traction off road here in the north east.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
Interestingly Enough, I Have The Same Pair Of Things To Install
The more the merrier.
__________________
Build Thread The Ballad of a TJ

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #90
AndyE
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 628
Jeep thoughts of the Day:
Why the **** doesn't Savvy make Under Armor for early auto TJs! That is all.
__________________
Build Thread The Ballad of a TJ

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.