From Overhaul to Overkill. The Ballad of a TJ - Page 35 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > From Overhaul to Overkill. The Ballad of a TJ

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #511
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have your motor mount lift on yet? Looks like a steep driveline angle for being at ride height. I'd jack up the frame and let it droop and see if it binds. May be fine.... I dunno, just my initial reaction.

Edit: just saw that you mentioned fixing the pinion angle.... but it already looks pretty high.

Unread 06-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #512
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Do you have your motor mount lift on yet? Looks like a steep driveline angle for being at ride height. I'd jack up the frame and let it droop and see if it binds. May be fine.... I dunno, just my initial reaction.

Edit: just saw that you mentioned fixing the pinion angle.... but it already looks pretty high.
I noticed that as well... The MML is installed. Setting the pinion correctly should help the angle alittle bit, but I am worried about bind at full droop as well. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I cycle the suspension.

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #513
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The new skid looks great , glad you got the adapter figured out . Now to get the driveshaft / pinion angle figured out ...
Unread 06-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #514
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Got the pinion angle set.

Before:

After:

The angle looks to be more acceptable then before, but I still need to cycle everything and check for binding.

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #515
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So, here's the problem. Now that the rear pinion as been rotated up the shock body now interferes with the spring perch. No surprise there.

The question is how to fix it. I figure I have three options:

1: Switch the bar pin from one side to the other.
This would be the simplest fix, but with only a small vice to use I'm worried about destroying the bushings.

2: Trim the spring perch.
I have no problems cutting the spring perch to fit the shock. What worries me is the hard line for the brakes. Where it's currently located limits how much I can remove from the perch, and if I need to remove more I now have to deal with rerouting the brake line, which is the last thing I want to do.

3: Get extenders for the shock mount.
The least desirable option in my opinion and a band-aide at best.

I'm resisting the urge to preform exploratory surgery and hack things up only to go a different direction.
Opinions?

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #516
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Move the lower mounts to the back of the lower control arm bracket. Will require welding though.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #517
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03
Move the lower mounts to the back of the lower control arm bracket. Will require welding though.
I agree.

Best way is to move the mounts. Raise them up and out to allow more room. If you can't do that due to welding just get the extenders cuz even if u cut the spring perch it still doesn't look like you'll have enough room

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/jf-trip-2-0-a-2608114/"][SIZE="3"][B]
2015 Colorado Trip[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
AngryTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #518
AlTheKillerr

outboard the rear shocks

http://www.tntcustoms.com/outboardrearshockkit.aspx
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #519
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
I agree.

Best way is to move the mounts. Raise them up and out to allow more room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTheKillerr View Post
I would absolutely love to move the lower shock mounts, upper spring perches, and outboard the upper shock mounts. But, I don't have a welder. Which is something I need to change really soon.

Quote:
If you can't do that due to welding just get the extenders cuz even if u cut the spring perch it still doesn't look like you'll have enough room.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks there's not enough room even if I cut the perch. I guess the next question I have to ask my self is if all extenders are created equal. I did a quick search on Qtec to get a rough idea on prices. Teraflex is around $38, Currie around $33 and JKS is about $64. I'm thinking Currie. They look to be the cheapest and simplest. Plus if I buy through Qtec I can get them in a day or so. Decisions decisions...

PS. I'm thinking the extenders will be a "temporary" fix until I can get a welder and get up to speed on it. The it's game on for an outboard etc.

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #520
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Where in Ct are you? I have a welder but is the jeep drivable?

Unread 06-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #521
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'd do the extenders as a temp fix, then a complete outboard. Just quit messing around and buy the welder man. It's going to happen..... might as well be sooner than later. After that, little issues like this will actually make you happy....... since you get to fabricate and weld.
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #522
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Where in Ct are you? I have a welder but is the jeep drivable?
Groton. The Jeep isn't drivable in its current condition.

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #523
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same issue, I purchased the Currie shock extenders but my shocks were too long to use them so I just trimmed the bucket. No issues with the brakeline I just put a piece of steel over it while I trimmed. If you want I can take pics of how much I ground off.

I still have those extenders sitting in the garage. My plan is to outboard later as well.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #524
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
I'd do the extenders as a temp fix, then a complete outboard. Just quit messing around and buy the welder man. It's going to happen..... might as well be sooner than later. After that, little issues like this will actually make you happy....... since you get to fabricate and weld.
Believe me, it's at the top of the wish list. I can't count the number of times in the last 2 or so months that I've gone "Man, I wish I had a welder for X". I'm ready to buy, but my current living situation/location aren't the most conductive for owning a welder. Then again, I'm close to say to hell with it and buying one anyway and figuring the details out later. The local Tractor Supply sure has some nice Hobarts...

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #525
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'd be willing to help ya out man and let you use my welder but I dont have any means of getting it to you so if you can somehow get the jeep to me your in business.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.