From Overhaul to Overkill. The Ballad of a TJ - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > From Overhaul to Overkill. The Ballad of a TJ

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #31
reichard117
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i like how much planning you do.. really well planned build and very well documented!
but need more pics!

Yellow Jeep Club Member #117
reichard117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #32
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichard117 View Post
i like how much planning you do.. really well planned build and very well documented!
but need more pics!
I'll be sure to get some action shots.

I also forgot to include how cleverly this build thread is named.
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #33
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
I ended up going with 4wd, best prices and customer service - and I also ordered the new soft top from them
A good choice as well! You'll have to let me know how you like the top. Been tossing around the thought of getting one for the summer months.

Quote:
I'll definitely plan to be down in Groton this weekend if you are up for it. Even if my stuff isn't in yet. Its just a hop and a skip around one of the worst highway systems in america gives my Bilsteins a workout. Lol.
As long as the weather holds I'm still on for Sat. I hear you on the Highways, they make the ones in Ca seem mild and tame in comparison.

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #34
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichard117 View Post
but need more pics!
Thank you! I wouldn't say I'm OCD, but I hate doing things twice when big money is involved. Trick is to plan and research without over thinking it. Something I do quite a bit. Don't worry, there are plenty of pics to come. Just waiting for parts to show up.

Quote:
I'll be sure to get some action shots.
It's nice to hear someone will. I usually get so wrapped up in driving, working, or enjoying the moment that I forget.

Quote:
I also forgot to include how cleverly this build thread is named.
I'm glad someone thinks so! I've got a weird sense of humor and wasn't sure if anyone else would like it/get it.

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
Unread 03-19-2013, 05:24 AM   #35
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bail_Out View Post
A good choice as well! You'll have to let me know how you like the top. Been tossing around the thought of getting one for the summer months.

As long as the weather holds I'm still on for Sat. I hear you on the Highways, they make the ones in Ca seem mild and tame in comparison.
I really enjoy the soft top- I don't even really see an actual need to ever get a hard top. Even though its New England- Jeeps heaters are plenty warm even on the coldest days with a soft top.

I am still likely going to get the wild board hard top just because it looks so damn cool- but I could just as easily stay with the rag top. You should definitely get one so we can go crash "Go Topless Day" in Monson come spring.

I have been on highways all over the country- including LA. With the exception of parts of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway... the I-95, I-91, I-84 corridor is just a set of the worst planned and maintained highway systems in the country.

Unread 03-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #36
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Jeeps heaters are plenty warm even on the coldest days with a soft top.
I bet. It's also pretty warm with full doors and no top doing 80 down the highway in the winter.

Quote:
You should definitely get one so we can go crash "Go Topless Day" in Monson come spring.
I defiantly want to, although I keep finding myself drawn to the Trektop that comes with the 2 piece soft half doors. It's just so expensive though! That and I need to figure out where I can store my hard top. I love it to death, but its such a pain to store when you have limited space.

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
Unread 03-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #37
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I bet. It's also pretty warm with full doors and no top doing 80 down the highway in the winter.

I defiantly want to, although I keep finding myself drawn to the Trektop that comes with the 2 piece soft half doors. It's just so expensive though! That and I need to figure out where I can store my hard top. I love it to death, but its such a pain to store when you have limited space.
Yes. It is. I can attest to that myself. Back before I moved to CT I was commuting 60 miles one way to get to work. One would think an hour and a half in a convertible in 40F weather with an additional 80mph of wind chill would be miserable- but it wasn't half bad.

I was using just the "feet" setting because it seemed to heat up the area where my body was the best- but I actually found out that it works TOO well. I ended up burning (like 2nd degree burn) the top of my foot through my work boots.

I got the trektop myself. I didn't bother with the half doors option- well because that would mean I would also have to buy those *****in Savvy half doors. Instead- I figured I would save the cash and stick with the regular no frills trektop and either go all or nothing for the doors. Someday though. I just love the look of the aluminum halfs and the two piece soft door would just be a tease.

Unread 03-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #38
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I got the trektop myself. I didn't bother with the half doors option- well because that would mean I would also have to buy those *****in Savvy half doors. Instead- I figured I would save the cash and stick with the regular no frills trektop and either go all or nothing for the doors. Someday though. I just love the look of the aluminum halfs and the two piece soft door would just be a tease.
Savvy Half Doors They have been on my want list ever sense I saw the prototype pictures, I've just never been in a position to make them worth while. I guess I'll have to check your top out when you get it. On and off. You know, for research.

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
Unread 03-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #39
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Savvy Half Doors They have been on my want list ever sense I saw the prototype pictures, I've just never been in a position to make them worth while. I guess I'll have to check your top out when you get it. On and off. You know, for research.
For science!

Though, for me... if its something I will love and I'll smile every time I see it - its worthwhile. That's my bad influence for the day.

Unread 03-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #40
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep thoughts of the day:
With spring rapidly approaching it's almost time to start the main part of stage 1. Which means finalizing my parts list is a high priority.
The current parts list:

-Sye and cv shaft: Not sure if I want to get the JB sye and order a TW shaft, or get the package from Savvy.

-Control arms: Currently a toss up between Savvy and Metal Cloak.

-Front and rear track bars: Stock replacements from wherever is cheapest and a JKS CV rear TB bracket.

-Front and rear sway bar links: Zone extended links front and rear.

-New shocks: Shooting for Bilstein, but I need to get some measurements before I pick.

-Front and rear brakes: Black Magic front and rear kit.

-Trac-loc rebuild: Need to find a Spicer kit, if one exists

Its finished for the most part, I just need to do some hard thinking on a few key parts.

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
Unread 03-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #41
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys.... I'm just gonna set this riiiiiighhhhttt here....

DO IT!
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #42
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have some used front extended links for sale Ever think about making a trip to RC?

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #43
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Hey guys.... I'm just gonna set this riiiiiighhhhttt here....

DO IT!
Look! Over there! (Grabs doors and runs away)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
Ever think about making a trip to RC?
I've actually been considering a trip out there this summer, hear its a hell of a time.

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #44
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Thoughts of the Day:
Tires, Tires, Tires, and more Tires. 33x10.5 or 33x12.5? A/T or M/T? BFG or Goodyear? Mickey Thompson? So many choices!

Edit: Tire Rack has 33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R Ks on sale for $204 pre tire. $1020 for 5, $940 after mail in rebate. Interesting...

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
Unread 03-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #45
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have 33x10.5 KM2s, and really like them. I prefer a skinnier tire over a wider when the option is available.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.