From Overhaul to Overkill. The Ballad of a TJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > From Overhaul to Overkill. The Ballad of a TJ

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140

Reply
Unread 03-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #16
AndyE
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
I like that you have an open mind. Also don't forget.... 16 JJ's is like $800 so almost ALL the cost of a set of short arms is in the joints. Scary huh! You don't want to regret the joint choice. I just don't think you will going with the MC.

Actually I think you only get 14... but whatever... they expensive when you buy a bunch.
Wow. Guess I never really figured they were that expensive in mass. Regretting is something I defiantly don't want to do, considering the amount of money involved. Lots of thinking to be done. On the issue of track bars, ran the numbers for stock replacements from a site like Quadratec. $140 for both before shipping. Currie TB's from say Savvy are $638 for both without the discount and before shipping. Thats a savings of $489! That would cover the cost of my Currie steering or the cost of a set of Savvy half doors. Interesting...

__________________
Build Thread The Ballad of a TJ

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #17
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bail_Out View Post
Wow. Guess I never really figured they were that expensive in mass. Regretting is something I defiantly don't want to do, considering the amount of money involved. Lots of thinking to be done. On the issue of track bars, ran the numbers for stock replacements from a site like Quadratec. $140 for both before shipping. Currie TB's from say Savvy are $638 for both without the discount and before shipping. Thats a savings of $489! That would cover the cost of my Currie steering or the cost of a set of Savvy half doors. Interesting...
Haha, Currie steering is a very worthwhile mod, One I should have done a while ago. My only steering upgrade is a big daddy tie rod. which has served me very well @ $89, and is BEEF compared to a stock tie rod that I bent and bent back and bent again several times. What I worry about is the stock Tie rod ends now. I've never broke one but they look puny. The savvy half doors are PIMP, but I would only even consider them if you can use them more than half the year and even at that you really are only buying them cause they're cool....... and that is FINE!
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #18
AndyE
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Haha, Currie steering is a very worthwhile mod, One I should have done a while ago. My only steering upgrade is a big daddy tie rod. which has served me very well @ $89, and is BEEF compared to a stock tie rod that I bent and bent back and bent again several times. What I worry about is the stock Tie rod ends now. I've never broke one but they look puny. The savvy half doors are PIMP, but I would only even consider them if you can use them more than half the year and even at that you really are only buying them cause they're cool....... and that is FINE!
It was tough pulling the trigger on the Currie steering because of the price. But after watching videos of guys popping the stock tie rod like a twig, I figured it would be a worth while investment. Nice to hear the Big Daddy tie rod worked out for ya. I looked at the ZJ and a few aftermarket tie rods, but figured if I'm going to upgrade one I might as well do the other. The Savvy half doors are defiantly PIMP! I've had my eye on them since they came out, just haven't had an excuse to buy them. We'll see how this summer goes.
__________________
Build Thread The Ballad of a TJ

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #19
AndyE
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 628
Jeep thoughts of the day:
I've been continuing to think on the other parts of phase 2, namely sway bar end links, shocks, and brakes. For the brakes I'm thinking one of the kits from Black Magic brakes that covers the front and rear. For the sway bar end links I'm thinking basic extended links from BDS. Simple and cheap, they should correct my sway bar geometry without putting me so deep in the hole I won't want to change to something better later. As for shocks, I'm thinking Bilstein. Not sure what size to go with since 2.5" is kind of a middle ground in terms of their sizes. I'll probably shoot the Bilstein vendor here on the forum a pm and see what he recommends.
Some days I hate trying to do this right.
__________________
Build Thread The Ballad of a TJ

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #20
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bail_Out View Post
Jeep thoughts of the day:
I've been continuing to think on the other parts of phase 2, namely sway bar end links, shocks, and brakes. For the brakes I'm thinking one of the kits from Black Magic brakes that covers the front and rear. For the sway bar end links I'm thinking basic extended links from BDS. Simple and cheap, they should correct my sway bar geometry without putting me so deep in the hole I won't want to change to something better later. As for shocks, I'm thinking Bilstein. Not sure what size to go with since 2.5" is kind of a middle ground in terms of their sizes. I'll probably shoot the Bilstein vendor here on the forum a pm and see what he recommends.
Some days I hate trying to do this right.
Me again.... haha! Hey on the shocks. Only YOU, can pick the right ones out, and it's going to take some homework, measuring up travel, down travel, available droop, and spring extended length will play a part in picking the right shock length. So don't just go with X shock is good for this or that amount of lift. I know personally it took me hours to find a specific shock that was perfect length. Anyways you may already have been thinking along these lines and if so please disregard, but most people are not running the correct length shocks and don't even know it. Or they are close enough and just don't care. You'll want the longest shock body you can run (compressed length basically) for the amount of up travel you want but no more extended length than your coils will allow (until they unseat). I guess what I'm trying to say is that yes Bilstein is a great shock.... but they might not even make one that's the right size for you. Maybe close enough though. If mine were even a 1/2" longer or shorter in the front, there would be issues though. So it can be that close.
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #21
AndyE
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Me again.... haha! Hey on the shocks. Only YOU, can pick the right ones out, and it's going to take some homework, measuring up travel, down travel, available droop, and spring extended length will play a part in picking the right shock length. So don't just go with X shock is good for this or that amount of lift. I know personally it took me hours to find a specific shock that was perfect length. Anyways you may already have been thinking along these lines and if so please disregard, but most people are not running the correct length shocks and don't even know it. Or they are close enough and just don't care. You'll want the longest shock body you can run (compressed length basically) for the amount of up travel you want but no more extended length than your coils will allow (until they unseat). I guess what I'm trying to say is that yes Bilstein is a great shock.... but they might not even make one that's the right size for you. Maybe close enough though. If mine were even a 1/2" longer or shorter in the front, there would be issues though. So it can be that close.
Yea, I figured it might turn into that. I did plan on cross checking any recommendations I got to make sure they would actually work for me. But it sounds like my best bet is to get some measurements and start from scratch. Well, Funny story. The only reason I want to change shocks is because my current ones are the wrong size. While I don't mind how the 2.2s ride, I have maybe 2" of up travel in the rear. While not a big deal on the road, I've bottomed out the shocks way to many times off road. So I'm hoping to switch to something with better up travel. I hope Bilsteins will work, but I guess I'll have to keep an open mind. Hopefully tomorrow is warmer and less windy so I can go out and cycle the suspension. I need to figure out how much bump stop extension I need as well.
__________________
Build Thread The Ballad of a TJ

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #22
AndyE
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 628
Jeep thoughts of the day:
Had a weird, random thought. Since the lower front control arms control caster, and aftermarket adjustable control arms don't use the stock method to adjust caster. Can any shop do an alignment? Do you have to find a shop that specializes in 4X4s with aftermarket parts? Or is it a case by case kind of thing? Gotta love the small details.
__________________
Build Thread The Ballad of a TJ

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #23
KateKGB
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Winsted, Connecticut
Posts: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bail_Out View Post
Jeep thoughts of the day:
Had a weird, random thought. Since the lower front control arms control caster, and aftermarket adjustable control arms don't use the stock method to adjust caster. Can any shop do an alignment? Do you have to find a shop that specializes in 4X4s with aftermarket parts? Or is it a case by case kind of thing? Gotta love the small details.
From what I have been told they can do the toe and the camber but I believe the tech said that the caster is set into the knuckle already. The values weren't that off from the specs- so I haven't thought much of it.

Ill be ordering my parts today- hopefully they get here by this weekend.
__________________
[COLOR="Teal"][SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kates-05-unlimited-rubi-learning-process-1426763/"] Chicks are allowed build threads here, right? [/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Sienna"]
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #24
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bail_Out View Post
Jeep thoughts of the day:
Had a weird, random thought. Since the lower front control arms control caster, and aftermarket adjustable control arms don't use the stock method to adjust caster. Can any shop do an alignment? Do you have to find a shop that specializes in 4X4s with aftermarket parts? Or is it a case by case kind of thing? Gotta love the small details.

I was under the assumption that only the toe was adjustable, and the cam bolts were simply to account for axle "squareness" and not any significant change in caster. Camber is non adjustable, unless you get offset balljoints to account for bent C's.

Basically after you get to the point of aftermarket adjustable Control arms, you're going to want to be able to take the, wheelbase measurements, caster measurements (that directly translate into pinion angle) and axle squareness measurements yourself. Most people even set their toe..... I suck at setting my toe and still pay the money to have it done. I also have to measure from about 10 different places before I am confident in a squareness measurement. Haha.... This is an area I'm working on myself.

To answer your question though.... YES i'm sure some competent 4x4 shop can do the job... I just don't know of any around me that I'd trust to do it without having to explain things to the point that I should just do it myself.
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #25
AndyE
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
I was under the assumption that only the toe was adjustable, and the cam bolts were simply to account for axle "squareness" and not any significant change in caster. Camber is non adjustable, unless you get offset balljoints to account for bent C's.

Basically after you get to the point of aftermarket adjustable Control arms, you're going to want to be able to take the, wheelbase measurements, caster measurements (that directly translate into pinion angle) and axle squareness measurements yourself. Most people even set their toe..... I suck at setting my toe and still pay the money to have it done. I also have to measure from about 10 different places before I am confident in a squareness measurement. Haha.... This is an area I'm working on myself.

To answer your question though.... YES i'm sure some competent 4x4 shop can do the job... I just don't know of any around me that I'd trust to do it without having to explain things to the point that I should just do it myself.
In all honesty I might be talking out my *** in regards to caster adjustment. I could have sworn I read that the lower control arms adjusted it. But I sometimes have the bad habit of reading one thing and remembering it the complete opposite. Well it sounds like I need to stop being lazy and break out the tape measure and a write up. With that said however, there is supposed to be a pretty good shop that specializes in Jeep modifications just down the road. Might have to go check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
Ill be ordering my parts today- hopefully they get here by this weekend.
Hell yea! Hope they make it in time.
__________________
Build Thread The Ballad of a TJ

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #26
redrelyt12
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 985
Always nice to join Jeepers in CT. Too bad there isn't a lot for legal offroading, but I'll be creeping your build from now on.
__________________
I never make the same mistake twice - it's more like three or four times.
Build - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/unlimicon-build-1477723/
redrelyt12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #27
KateKGB
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Winsted, Connecticut
Posts: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bail_Out View Post
In all honesty I might be talking out my *** in regards to caster adjustment. I could have sworn I read that the lower control arms adjusted it. But I sometimes have the bad habit of reading one thing and remembering it the complete opposite. Well it sounds like I need to stop being lazy and break out the tape measure and a write up. With that said however, there is supposed to be a pretty good shop that specializes in Jeep modifications just down the road. Might have to go check them out.


Hell yea! Hope they make it in time.
Me too. With the logistical luck I have had recently- I fully expect them to be here by weekend. Should be fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
Always nice to join Jeepers in CT. Too bad there isn't a lot for legal offroading, but I'll be creeping your build from now on.
We should all meet up sometime in the near future. CT is a small state- I am sure it wouldn't be too hard to find somewhere between us to grab dinner or something and plot the demise of our checking accounts.
__________________
[COLOR="Teal"][SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kates-05-unlimited-rubi-learning-process-1426763/"] Chicks are allowed build threads here, right? [/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Sienna"]
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #28
AndyE
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
Always nice to join Jeepers in CT. Too bad there isn't a lot for legal offroading, but I'll be creeping your build from now on.
Welcome! It's defiantly nice to see others on here from CT. I hear you on the offroading. It's my biggest beef with CT, especially coming from CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
Me too. With the logistical luck I have had recently- I fully expect them to be here by weekend. Should be fun!
If you bought from ECGS and Rock Auto you should be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
We should all meet up sometime in the near future. CT is a small state- I am sure it wouldn't be too hard to find somewhere between us to grab dinner or something and plot the demise of our checking accounts.
That would be interesting for sure; getting together and crashing one of the upcoming Jeep events here in CT or Mass would be fun as well.
__________________
Build Thread The Ballad of a TJ

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #29
AndyE
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 628
Something Jeep for the Day:
No real thoughts for the day. But some goodies did show up in the mail.

Should keep me occupied while I'm dropping the Cosby Kids off at the pool.
__________________
Build Thread The Ballad of a TJ

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #30
KateKGB
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Winsted, Connecticut
Posts: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bail_Out View Post
Welcome! It's defiantly nice to see others on here from CT. I hear you on the offroading. It's my biggest beef with CT, especially coming from CA.

If you bought from ECGS and Rock Auto you should be good.

That would be interesting for sure; getting together and crashing one of the upcoming Jeep events here in CT or Mass would be fun as well.
I ended up going with 4wd, best prices and customer service - and I also ordered the new soft top from them

I'll definitely plan to be down in Groton this weekend if you are up for it. Even if my stuff isn't in yet. Its just a hop and a skip around one of the worst highway systems in america gives my Bilsteins a workout. Lol.
__________________
[COLOR="Teal"][SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kates-05-unlimited-rubi-learning-process-1426763/"] Chicks are allowed build threads here, right? [/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Sienna"]
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.