out with the old in with the new! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > out with the old in with the new!

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-16-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
ryanwhiteaker

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Going from broken to Broke-My TJ Build Thread!

(figure i might as well make this my lil TJ thread)

just bought me a new 2001 TJ sport! locked and loaded all for 6400 bucks!!!!

UPDATED AS OF 8/10/2011!
AS IT SITS NOW
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport (steel blue)
4.0L Engine
NV3550 Transmission
np241 tcase

5.5"CLAYTON long arm suspension lift
-rear triangulated 4 link
-rear 6" custom stretch (100" Wheel Base)
-front Y link
-Clayton custom track bar (builder kit)
-Bilstein 12" travel shocks
-3/4" spring spacers in rear
39.5x13.50 bias ply IROK's
17x9 Black Rock Steelies
A/C converted onboard air compressor
D44/D60 Hybrid front axle (63" WMS)
-F250 D44 housing with 35 spline ARB air locker and 4.88 gears
-D60 35spline shafts(inner and outer
-SOLID D60 inner C's and knuckles(5x5.5 bolt pattern)
-SOLID high steer arms
-35 spline warn premium hubs
GM 14 bolt rear axle (62.3" WMS)
-CLAYTON high clearance bracket kit
-Rock Crusher 5x5.5 hub kit
-Disc brake conversion kit
-Yukon Grizzly locker with 4.88 shaved gears
-Ballistic Fab shave kit + Diff cover
-WFO Concepts Pinion Guard
slip yoke eliminator kit
TOM WOODS front drive shaft
Rear Custom CV drive shaft
Genright rear crossmember
Genright EXT Comp tank (YJ style custom fuel filler)
WARN front custom stubby bumper
-AtoZ winch plate
WARN rocker guards
WARN steering box skid plate
WARN M8000i winch
bedlined tub
CLAYTON high clearance Tcase and engine/oil pan skid plates
HD clutch kit
K&N cold air intake
SPINTEC exhaust system
TNT ARMOR
-Front HyLine Zeros tube fenders (paint matched + Custom work)
-Rear HyLine Zeros corners (paint matched)
-Body mounted swing out tire carrier
-Custom one off shock hoop kit
1 Ton high steer kit
PSC HD steering box ported for Hydro assist
chrome headlight bezels and grill inserts
APEX HID headlight kit
IPF H4 headlight housings
ALPINE head unit, Ipod interface, Sirius and upgraded speakers all around
Mastercraft Rubicon sport seats with harness bar welded in
hardtop, soft top, duster, bikini, safari top
Tuffy Security box in back with risers and divider kit
Custom cut HyLine hood
-Rokmen hood pin kit
ORO Lite Dot Tail lights
Optimum Yellow Top Battery

BOUGHT BUT NOT INSTALLED YET
-4xRAC hi-lift mounts
-03+ speaker pods
-93 explorer 10 blade fan swap and HD fan clutch
-ORO SwayLoc Manual latch Sway bar kit

SOON TO BE BOUGHT
-OTRATTW custom switch panel
-PIAA, HELLA or IPF fog's
-2.5-3 gallon air tank to complete my OBA

WISH LIST
-Atlas
-BTF (project evil bastard style) grill hoop stinger combo
-Poison Spyder Full Cage Kit
-Spyderlock beadlocks (17x9 with 5x5.5 bolt pattern)
-hydro assist kit
-5.7L HEMI
-TO WIN THE LOTTERY!!!!

I LOVE THIS THING!!!

Last edited by ryanwhiteaker; 08-10-2011 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: UPDATE!
ryanwhiteaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
joeYJeep95
1997 TJ Wrangler 

nice jeep bro. i had a yj and yucked it for a tj too. too bad you cant say you built your jeep tho
Unread 09-16-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
ryanwhiteaker

2001 TJ Wrangler 

i know trust me i know. ive been in Iraq for the past couple months and thats all ive been thinking nothing but jeeps. i had the parts listed and ready to buy, the shop ready to build(the stuff i wasnt confident to do) and was just waiting on the cash to build up. I just didnt want to put all that money into it (about 8-10k total) and have to maintain it. ive spent so much money on it already. i just didnt want to spend that much more on something that i wouldnt get back. when i found this TJ for 6800 with almost everything i need and wanted my TJ want side came out and i went for it. i feel like the coil suspension just works much better for what i need. Theres still room for improvement on the TJ though. If i could have built it i would have done everything the same way so im happy with it. just wish i was home to drive it lol. im jealous and lucky that my girlfriend is taking care of everything stateside for me and keeping it company
Unread 09-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
jeeperkt
2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice upgrade bud!

You might want to look into getting a new radiator soon though, yours in the pic looks like it was repared once and the factory radiators are plastic on top and bottom so they arnt very strong.

I got a Silla all aluminum radiator with a lifetime warranty when my radiator on my 01 tj went out
Nice TJ
Unread 09-16-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
ryanwhiteaker

2001 TJ Wrangler 

one of my buddies was saying that too, i had to take a second look at it. at least its a cheap upgrade/fix compared to what i had to deal with on the YJ.
Unread 10-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
ryanwhiteaker

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok so in addition to the list of mods and extras i guess there is more! it has both hard and soft top(with tints)! which is awesome! and he's also got a bunch of recovery stuff he doesnt want like tree savers, tow straps, snatch blocks, drings etc! and also he said hes got a top and tonneu cover, which im assuming he means a bikini top and dust cover and maybe windjammer. so with all those extra goodies it was def. worth the buy! still in the process of selling the YJ but the right person will come, ill just have to be patient. thanks again guys for all your help!
TRADED IN - '07 WK Limited 5.7L - OME HD kit l Rusty's .25" strut spacer l 255/75R17 l Spidertrax spacers all around l Powerwire l K&N CAI l JK MOAB black wheels l Rola Rack with Yakima spare tire mount system l 4xGuard belly skid l 4xGuard Rocker Guards
335I M Sport (e93) - plenty of mods so far :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
it appears that REAL Jeeps leak fluids everywhere, spend more time parked in pieces than being driven, rust completely through the floor boards, gauges don't work, heaters don't work etc...
Unread 10-07-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
ryanwhiteaker

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Already Buying Parts! Haha

haha ok so i got a few upgrades already but i couldn't help it. i said i would only buy stuff it it was a great deal so thats what im doing! ha

-AEV heat reduction hood (not hi-line)!!!
ive always wanted them but i had a YJ and now that i bought a TJ i guess they discontinued the regular hood and just have the hi-line. I've been all around the world with this. i've looked on every forum every website every catalog etc. and no one has any thing for sale and it seems that everyone else has been looking for them too. BUT! i found some company in washington that still had them on their site so i figured ok i'll call and ask (the GF had to call) so they said no they didnt have any instock but then realized that they did have one that was a perfect return that they never put back in inventory haha. so yea i bought it of course!

-SOLID dif covers for my 8.8 and D30
ok so solid was and still is running a sale on their dif covers just to try and get their name out there. any cover is 64 bucks!!! i got mine for 140 shipped! if you need a 14bolt there B/O'd so just call them or email them and they'll hook u up

-silver sahara flares
found someone selling um from their tj for 40 bucks front and rear, one minor scuff but hey if the sllver matches the bumper perfect. if not then i'll just paint them black or maybe paint match them when i paint the new hood not sure. i just HATE those pocket flares. these would be good because of the bigger width but still lettin the tires stick out
TRADED IN - '07 WK Limited 5.7L - OME HD kit l Rusty's .25" strut spacer l 255/75R17 l Spidertrax spacers all around l Powerwire l K&N CAI l JK MOAB black wheels l Rola Rack with Yakima spare tire mount system l 4xGuard belly skid l 4xGuard Rocker Guards
Quote:
it appears that REAL Jeeps leak fluids everywhere, spend more time parked in pieces than being driven, rust completely through the floor boards, gauges don't work, heaters don't work etc...
Unread 10-07-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
ryanwhiteaker

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Next In Line!!

alright so heres the two things that are comming as soon as i sell the YJ or as soon as i get a couple paychecks in the next month

first are new wheels because the tires on there are just shot and really low. I dont want my girlfriend driving it around because its just not a good idea with the tire tread that low with no traction. so here are my choices and maybe you can help with the tires

EDIT UPDATE: snagged a set of trailready's wrapped in 35" krawlers

-mickey T classic lock 15X10 polished
-Toyo open country M/T's 35x13.5
-BFG KM2 35X12.5
-BFG KRAWLER 35X13.5
any suggestions or opinions on the tires?

EDIT UPDATE: scrapped the dakota digital idea and just doing a LED bulb replacement instead
second new toy.
I figured everything is done that needs to be outside and under the jeep now its time to do some cool stuff on the inside so i've been talking with dakotadigital on making a custom gauge set up for the TJ. they have some stock set ups for old model jeep trucks but not the YJ and TJ's. so scott from DD took some pics yesterday of a custom TJ job that they just did and it turned out pretty sick!

i might have them change a thing or two but the color for mine would have to be BLUE

all in all i think its an awesome product! these guys really do know their **** and ive done my research. alot of people started with nordskog or whatever company had LED setups before but had a lot of problems with stuff after a while but i just found out they went out of business anyway go figure. I cant wait to get rid of the YJ so i can get rollin!
Quote:

Last edited by ryanwhiteaker; 05-12-2010 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: UPDATE
Unread 10-18-2009, 12:10 AM   #9
ryanwhiteaker

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Picture Update!

ok so the Girlfriend got some pics while she was out today of the new TJ. kinda had a rough week of trying to sell the YJ so she figured some pics and a nice video would cheer me up and of course she was right. (just dont tell her i said that) so here are a few more pics she got
heres just one of the engine bay

another one of the engine

here's a full frontal pic... she's so shinny

I guess there are lights IN the bumper haha behind the W

and one of my buddy's jeep on the left and mind on the right

ENJOY!
GOD I CANT WAIT TO GO HOME ON LEAVE!
Quote:
Unread 10-18-2009, 01:55 AM   #10
bmxrules39
1997 TJ Wrangler 

that thing is sweet. You're lucky- TJ's go for quite a bit more where I come from.

Last edited by bmxrules39; 10-22-2009 at 07:43 PM..
bmxrules39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 02:07 AM   #11
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Something on that rig is about to bust down, or is hot (stolen.. you know)

Thats the lowest price i've ever heard of for a TJ that new. Not to mention all the extras. Just last year mine was 8500 bux stock and its 2 years older.

That deal doesn't feel right. Hope it works out though.

Although, you should sell it MAKE money on it and then build your own. Nothing is like knowing your jeep like building it yourself. Personally speaking for myself I guess.

Sick rig though no matter what.
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #12
MA88XJDude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thats a really nice looking tj! I was actually thinking about getting a warn bumper and putting fog lights behind the W, you'll have to take some pictures of them at night for me!

And it sounds like your girlfriend really takes care of you!

Congrats on both!
Build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...build-1066682/
MASSKRAWLERS.COM
MA88XJDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #13
ryanwhiteaker

2001 TJ Wrangler 

haha thanks guys. yes it was a very very lucky deal. basically the guy bought it built from someone else less then a year back. that someone else did all the work to it and really knew what he was doing. but the guy i bought it from basically couldn't use it like he wanted and needed the cash so basically just gave it to me.

and yes my girlfriend def. takes good care of me lol. since im over seas she's taken care of all the business as far as getting the TJ and now were in the middle of selling the YJ so she's bouncin all over the place to meet people and give test drives. She def. puts up with way more then i give her credit for lol.
Quote:

Last edited by ryanwhiteaker; 04-23-2010 at 02:01 AM..
Unread 10-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #14
ryanwhiteaker

2001 TJ Wrangler 

found out from the new pics that she has a optima RED top battery!!!!! haha this TJ just keeps getting better and better

Girlfriend picked up the AEV hood last week and the SOLID diff covers and RUBI flares came in last week as well!!

SWEEEEEEEEET
Quote:

Last edited by ryanwhiteaker; 05-12-2010 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: spelling
Unread 10-24-2009, 02:38 PM   #15
ryanwhiteaker

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Update!!!

FIRST SET OF GOOD NEWS......SOLD THE YJ TODAY!!!

ok so ive been all over the place the past couple weeks. i decided that the M/T classic lock rims were just gonna be too much for me to want to maintain so i was gonna goo with recentered H1 rims with pressed centers my choice in paints basically a nice set up youve prolly seen it on pirate. i was gonna get the 37's along with it but was nervous about my front D30 (and haveing to stick with tires for a 16.5" rim). i wasnt sure if the inners were upgraded or not and i was just nervous so i looked into get a 9" for the front built to take the wheels.

i just got way ahead of myself. so i just realized today that im just going to stick with 35's and use the same rims, keeping the D30. im gonna try to cut back on the spending for right now cus im driving the ol lady crazy. so here's an updated list of future upgrades in order(other then what i already ordered)

EDITED
1. tires getting them within the next couple weeks (TRAILREADY'S WRAPPED IN KRAWLERS)
2. HID kit with IPF H4 housings (bought them today) i failed horribly at the
whole not spending money lol. havent told the girl yet (bought and installed)
3. rock hard 4x4 front roll cage add ons (my xmas present) (Decided against this. would rather have a full cage the bolt on for safety reasons)
4. my digital LED custom gauge kit (reality set in and i realize this was a huge waste of money, doing the LED gauge install instead)
5. TNT armor all around (high clearance WB w/4.5" flare) (dont have a 5" stretch corner, now leaning towards genright)
6. litedot tail lights (the old ones went with the YJ today (bought)

feel free as usual to offer any ideas for upgrades (dont be silly )
Quote:

Last edited by ryanwhiteaker; 05-12-2010 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: change in plans or current status

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.