Oscar the TJ gets a CUMMINS - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Oscar the TJ gets a CUMMINS

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 08-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #106
Cowboyup94
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-3-TJ View Post
I think i am going to cut the body channel out from the bottom and drill the spot welds. Replace the damage. I am not going to start that until the cummins is in and running.
Before I ask my 2 questions I must first say you are doing something I really love and have always wanted to do. I almost bought a TJ with a 4bt already in but decided I couldnt drive someone elses art work. EXCELLENT JOB!

First question: With half the body lift in isn't that going to make it challenging to allign everything? I have done swaps in muscle cars, compacts, and trucks and I know doing them your pushing and prying to fit it sometimes.

second question: How are you running the exhaust? I'm know expert in 4Bt's in Jeeps so I don't know what you can fit and what you can't, so I guess the second part of my question is what are your restrictions?

Sorry for the long post I just like to learn

Unread 08-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #107
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I can't imagine Oscar would drive anything but a diesel.

Great start to a grouchy build. I like your attention to detail.

Wish I would have had the time to really pay attention to the little stuff when I did mine. Maybe I'll paint the next engine I put in mine. I have had so many fluid leaks in my build that I would have been very grouchy if I would have really cleaned mine up and then coated it in every fluid the jeep has.

Really like that you'll be able to run stock gauges. That is awesome!
I'll be watching this one!

Welcome to the oil burner club!
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #108
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, today I got a lot done.

First Cowboyup94 ask as many questions as you can think of. Doesnt bother me at all. I wanted this thread to be instructional and convince normal everyday guys that they can do this swap. You were absolutely correct when you asked about finishing the Jeep with half the body lift in. I thought about it all night and after sleeping on it I finished the body lift today. I was able to salvage a bolt which i thought was a gonner, so only two bolts broke and are needing repair. The Jeep now sits one inch higher everywhere Good Advice sir!!

Second question was about the exhaust. Jeff daniels sells an entire stainless steel exahust for folks who have inspections or want the stock look. However I am planning on running 2.5 steel pipe out of the turbo down to approxmiately the oil pan where it will turn 90 degrees and expand to a 4 inch pipe and exit from my fender. The 4 inch pipe will run through the battery box support and then exit. After exiting the fender the pipe will run straight up as a stack and then have a 45 degree bend to the rear and side at the top. It will look very similiar to Garrets Diesel Jeep. search Garrets diesel jeep on youtube and thats what it will look like, only I am going to do either black chrome or powder coat flat black.

Now the legallity of the exhaust is simple... its not.. I am willing to take my chances. Its gonna be loud and smokey..just how a diesel should be.

"Look no further than yourself, for all of the good and all of the evil that exist in this world, resides in the heart of man and his propensity to use it".
10-3-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #109
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

On to the updates. I got the bellhousing all bolted up. It didnt go as smoothly as one would think. The top bolts were being obstructed by the transmisson by about 1/8th of a inch. I used a dremel with a stone grinder to make access easier. Its wasnt hard just awkard postions.

forumrunner_20120813_201831.jpg

forumrunner_20120813_201849.jpg

forumrunner_20120813_201907.jpg

forumrunner_20120813_201925.jpg

After that i moved onto the cutting out the stock engine mounts. Passenger side was easy. Easy to get my grinder in with a cut off wheel.

forumrunner_20120813_202128.jpg

forumrunner_20120813_202057.jpg

The last picture is showing how bad the jeep welds were. Literally the welds broke from the frame. If you closley you can even see all the holes in the welds..

Well what the passenger side lacked in strength the drivers side made up for.. i beat the drivers side like a red headed step child until it finally gave up.

forumrunner_20120813_202528.jpg

forumrunner_20120813_202617.jpg

Now i still have to grind the old welds and clean the frame rails

"Look no further than yourself, for all of the good and all of the evil that exist in this world, resides in the heart of man and his propensity to use it".
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #110
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here are some more pictures of how the jeep sets now with the inch body lift. I like how it looks. Please disregard the junky soft top. I typically only use the actaul top and not the windows but it has been raining and i am tired of working under a dripping jeep from the floor boards filling with water.

forumrunner_20120813_203151.jpg

forumrunner_20120813_203205.jpg

Now onto the part i honestly hate. So i must fix the body mount bolts which broke and the offending captured nuts. Well i broke down and bought a very nice air saw from Chicago Pneumatic . The next picture shows how i going to fix the damage. I am taking a different approach. I am going to go in from the bottom, cut the rail out and weld it back.. easier said than done.

forumrunner_20120813_203613.jpg

Notice the rust holes to the top right of the rail. Yup gonna cut that also. Now a little back ground on this body rail junk. I replaced a 18 inches or so of the passenger side. I went in through the top cut out my floors and made a body rail. Then removed ALL the body bolts and put anti seize on them because i knew the body lift was coming.. At that point all the bolts came out and everything was great. So i prepped and raptor lined the entire tub. It looks great and i am so happy with it.

Now comes yesterday and the bolts break. I wish this would have happened last year when i had the passenger side cut out. That side turned out great.

Unread 08-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #111
Beowill

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Coming along nicely!

My LJ Cummins 4BT with 1 Ton's Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ation-2703513/
Beowill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #112
Largo1024
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, since legallity of the exhaust has been mentioned. What about this whole swap? I'm in cook county illinois, no inspection but biannual emissions test for OBD2 vehicles.
Largo1024 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #113
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It will vary state to state what you can and cant do legally .

I suggest going to 4btswaps.com and search there. The topic of whats legal for swaps is covered numerous times there.

In ohio all i have to do is re-register the jeep as diesel. Thankfully we got rid of the awesome E-check like 10 years ago..

Unread 08-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #114
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just got off the phone with the BMV and the receptionist stated that the title will be listed as mileage ( not actual ) and engine type DIESEL. I am not worried about the title being listed as Not Actual because if on the slim chance I ever part with the Jeep I will direct the buyer to this thread..

Thanks for the comments and questions guys keep em coming.

More update hopefullly tonight. I am headed to the garage right now. gonna try to set the engine in and weld the motor mounts.

Unread 08-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #115
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Let the updates roll

Today i didnt get started until early evening and truly thought the days was a waste.. i started by grinding down the old motor mount welds

forumrunner_20120814_232742.jpg

forumrunner_20120814_232720.jpg

Then added some zinc weld through primer.

forumrunner_20120814_232846.jpg

forumrunner_20120814_232906.jpg

forumrunner_20120814_232952.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120814_232952.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	453067

Unread 08-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #116
Cowboyup94
2001 WJ 

Last exhaust question from me, Is it at all possible to do a hood stack type of ordeal? My dad's F250 was tight but it's possible. So assuming the tightness I am guessing not?

Bet you can't wait to roll coal!
Unread 08-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #117
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

After that i decided that it was time for motor mounts. So i pushed the jeep in my garage and started the test fitting.

forumrunner_20120814_233232.jpg

forumrunner_20120814_233248.jpg

forumrunner_20120814_233315.jpg

forumrunner_20120814_233336.jpg

forumrunner_20120814_233356.jpg

forumrunner_20120814_233415.jpg

Surprisingly the engine fits very well with only minor problems with clearances . The high mount turbo fits great and will not cause any problems with the hood.

I have two clearance issues. First is the starter on the upper control arm ob the passenger side. This problem was mentioned by another guy here also.

Second problem i see is the slave cylinder and the front drive shaft.

forumrunner_20120814_234008.jpg

Just another pic showing how the hood will clear.

I did not get the motor mounts in or even measured. I will do that tomorrow morning. But at least its temporarily bolted to the tranny.

forumrunner_20120814_234035.jpg

forumrunner_20120814_234056.jpg

Unread 08-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #118
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Cowboyup94.

There us a guy on youtube running a 5.9 6BT in a YJ with a hood stack. Runs straight through the hood.

I just dont know how he opens the hood!

To be very honest it would be less work and easier for me to run the exhuast out of the hood but its just not what i want. There is plenty of room in there surprisingly .

Unread 08-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #119
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I forgot mention that if it appears that the engine isnt sitting on straight. Its because it isnt. The drivers side is sitting lower just because it has no motor mounts and is supported by the hoist and only two tranny bolts.. just fyi. I didnt realize it looked so off until i looked at the pics on jeepforum.

Unread 08-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #120
cycleguy04

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-3-TJ View Post
Okay, today I got a lot done.

First Cowboyup94 ask as many questions as you can think of. Doesnt bother me at all. I wanted this thread to be instructional and convince normal everyday guys that they can do this swap. You were absolutely correct when you asked about finishing the Jeep with half the body lift in. I thought about it all night and after sleeping on it I finished the body lift today. I was able to salvage a bolt which i thought was a gonner, so only two bolts broke and are needing repair. The Jeep now sits one inch higher everywhere Good Advice sir!!

Now the legallity of the exhaust is simple... its not.. I am willing to take my chances. Its gonna be loud and smokey..just how a diesel should be.
One inch? Is that all? Do you plan on cutting the tub at all?

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4bt , cummins , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.