Oscar the TJ gets a CUMMINS - Page 34 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Oscar the TJ gets a CUMMINS

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 02-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #496
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

"Look no further than yourself, for all of the good and all of the evil that exist in this world, resides in the heart of man and his propensity to use it".
10-3-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #497
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

"Look no further than yourself, for all of the good and all of the evil that exist in this world, resides in the heart of man and his propensity to use it".
Unread 02-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #498
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The last shows the frame without the lower control arm bracket. Everything is turning out great.

Unread 02-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #499
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

Try welding those on a unibody. Wasn't easy, but you really only get one shot. I had to lower the temperature on the welder to fill in all the holes I created in the unibody material. What a pain that was.

However, I couldn't be more pleased with the way the claytons works in the ZJ.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #500
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Lordhobbit,

Did you weld the mounts straight to the uni body? Like the body channel? If so I bet that was incredibly hard.

So today went much better and faster than yesterday. I have the entire front end done and it went together very easy.

A buddy and I took Oscar out and the Jeep is transformed. I should have done this from the beginning. It rides so smooth and so nice. Honest to god it rides like a new vehicle. And that's with half long arms and still rough country shot, worn out shocks in the back.

I took some pics which I will post up in a bit and a video of the jeep playing in a small snow pile.

Unread 02-16-2014, 07:40 PM   #501
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

above picture shows the long arms sitting with the weight of the jeep on them

New shocks and new springs

Unread 02-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #502
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I did have to cut the belly pan for clearance of the control arm mounts. Not a big deal just a little trimming.

Oscar sits a little funny right now. I ended up going with 4 inch lift coils rather than 5.5 and the front still sits about an inch high from the back. I am going to see if the coils settle before going and buying rear 4 inch coils.

I honestly cant get over how great the Jeep rides now.

I will have two front adjustable control arms for sale now. They are Rustys and they are in decent shape. They more than likely need the Johny Joint rebuild but Rustys sells all the polly pieces for that. What would you guys suggest for a price. They are at least two years old and have a mark on each arm where the motor mount was causing interference.

Unread 02-20-2014, 07:18 AM   #503
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

Yes I welded the claytons onto the unibody main channel. Wasn't fun. But as you know now, it is absolutely a wonderful ride.

The bilsteins are pretty great too.

My jeep also sits high in the back. about an inch. I've got spacer for the front I need to put in. The thing is so light in the rear it barely compresses the springs.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 10:06 PM   #504
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thinking about attending the Bantam jeep festival in Butler county Pennsylvania. Its in June

Anyone ever gone? It's about a four hour drive for me. Just wonder if it's worth it.

Unread 03-01-2014, 09:40 AM   #505
papitt
1995 ZJ 

I've kept up with this post since I have the 4BT in my 1972 Bronco.. I like to see if there is anything I've not done to my BT. But a feew days ago someone posted a web sight that looked like it would have some early help to some one hust getting started on this swap.
.. Check out this sight .. locofomoco racings.com..... This place make mounts & kits to install. at least for the Bronco. I didn't read it all but most of the times you can put one bit of info to work in another place. Hope this helps someone.
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2014, 08:48 PM   #506
ksilovich
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-3-TJ View Post
Thinking about attending the Bantam jeep festival in Butler county Pennsylvania. Its in June

Anyone ever gone? It's about a four hour drive for me. Just wonder if it's worth it.
A guy I work with has gone to that. He said it was pretty fun.
I havn't been. Too far of a drive for me.
Unread 03-24-2014, 11:09 PM   #507
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

OP, love what you've done with your rig! Been subscribed for quite some time.. got you bookmarked for when I do mine.

Questions though. You upgraded to the HX35, correct? How much boost are you running and do you feel you "run out of air" towards top end? Also, can't remember for certain, did you swap in the 3200 rpm springs as well?
ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 07:10 AM   #508
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

ThomasYj

Thanks for the compliments. The HX35 is an okay turbo for my setup. I say okay because it is a bit slow to spool but once it does WATCH OUT. However I find that I run out of Rpms because I haven't upgraded my governor spring. So in low gears I run out of Rpms before building more than 10 psi of boost. Now gears 3-5. I can easily see 30 psi of boost.

Actually I have just re built my boost pipe because I have been blowing it off. I removed my Wastegate and wired it shut. My waste gate was starting to open at 20 psi and I didn't like how it would fall on its face.

While I was in there I put new bearings in the HX35 and installed a Morosso in line oil filter. I replaced the bearings because the turbo was "sticky" it just didn't spin like it used to. I found no wheel struck and shaft play was acceptable. However there were some good scratches in the bearings. The in line filter is badass and reusable.

Unread 05-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #509
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Fella's. Its been a while since my last post. So I figure an update is in order. The Jeep will be at Bantam Jeep festival this year and I have been busting my butt to wrap up a few loose ends.

I ordered a new fuel pin from M and H Inc. I ordered the M3 pin which about the middle of the road 40 horsepower fuel pin.

I was so pleased with Clayton off road front 4 inch springs that I ordered his rear 4 inch springs also.

Both springs and pin should be here first of the week.

Jeep has been running great and only minor pain in the a s s issues. Mostly from things vibrating loose.

Unread 05-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #510
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have the M3 pin

Tags
4bt , cummins , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.