Oscar the TJ gets a CUMMINS - Page 32 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Oscar the TJ gets a CUMMINS

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 08-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #466
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! For anyone who has been following this thread the problem was the vacuum pump coupler. The coupler is pressed onto the shaft of the vacuum pump and connects the vacuum pump to the power steering pump. Once the vacuum pump was removed again and taken apart I could easily turn the gear and shaft while holding the coupler in a vice. Turns out the coupler has a crack completely through it. The crack starts at one of the ears of the coupler and went all the way through it.

So as excited as I was my high was suddenly crushed. And by crushed I mean literally crushed. I was outside talking with a neighbor when I hear the unmistakable sound of my garage door beginning to open. Well remembering that my hood was still open I yelled at my wife to stop the door but she only looked at me confused as the garage door pushed the hood backwards against the windshield frame. The hood scoop completely crushed my windshield cowling and bent both wiper arms. Luckily the hood isn't visibly bent but I can tell from my hood latches that it is tweaked. Un F-ING believable I was so upset I literally became sick to my stomach.

"Look no further than yourself, for all of the good and all of the evil that exist in this world, resides in the heart of man and his propensity to use it".
10-3-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #467
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-3-TJ
PROBLEM SOLVED!!! For anyone who has been following this thread the problem was the vacuum pump coupler. The coupler is pressed onto the shaft of the vacuum pump and connects the vacuum pump to the power steering pump. Once the vacuum pump was removed again and taken apart I could easily turn the gear and shaft while holding the coupler in a vice. Turns out the coupler has a crack completely through it. The crack starts at one of the ears of the coupler and went all the way through it.

So as excited as I was my high was suddenly crushed. And by crushed I mean literally crushed. I was outside talking with a neighbor when I hear the unmistakable sound of my garage door beginning to open. Well remembering that my hood was still open I yelled at my wife to stop the door but she only looked at me confused as the garage door pushed the hood backwards against the windshield frame. The hood scoop completely crushed my windshield cowling and bent both wiper arms. Luckily the hood isn't visibly bent but I can tell from my hood latches that it is tweaked. Un F-ING believable I was so upset I literally became sick to my stomach.
So sorry, brother... I feel your pain-stuff like that can really get you down

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #468
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-3-TJ

Those are the stories you hear from men spending fair amounts of time in prison. At least it's nothing that can't be fixed
crockett07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #469
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I took the windshield cowling off last night and the damage is only to the cowling. Thankfully.

Its not at all my wife's fault. I wish it was so I could blame her but it's completely my fault. I had the hood propped open further than I should so I Could get more light under the hood.

Oh well another new piece to paint.

"Look no further than yourself, for all of the good and all of the evil that exist in this world, resides in the heart of man and his propensity to use it".
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #470
Cavasar
No Longer DD

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's just body work, much easier than motor work.
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #471
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You guys are 100 percent correct. It is just body work. In another success story I scored another cowling from a fellow jeepforum member. Cjinpa. He is gonna ship on Monday be here Prolly late next week. Just have to repaint and clear.

I am hoping Jeff Daniels Jeep will warranty the vacuum pump. I am 13 months from purchase date. The pump goes for 327.and some change.

I also got a new stainless steel braided pressure hose from Jegs for my clutch line which blew apart.

Unread 08-25-2013, 12:01 AM   #472
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear you figured out your steering issue, I've been checking back repeatedly to follow your progress.
Sucks about the garage door, but as others have stated, it's minor in the grand scheme... But I'm familiar with that sick to the stomach feeling when it hits the fan lol
ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #473
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Can't wait to get the jeep back on the road. I have been bummed since the power steering took a dump.

So yesterday I was driving behind a second gen 2500 Cummings Dodge on some back country road. The road was straight but very long sweeping hills. As I drove up on the truck I could see the nice stacks coming out of the bed. So purposely I rode his tailgate so I could the Cummins symphony.

After maybe 5 min of driving behind the truck we came to a steep hill with a stop sign intersection at the bottom. And that's when it happened. I heard a sound which inadvertently made my pants grow tight. The Cummings sounded like a big rig Jake brake. It sounded fan-freaking-tastic. The driver of the truck ran the Jake brake the last two thirds of the hill and used his brakes approximately 20 ft before the stop sign.

I followed the truck another 10 min out of my so I could without seeming like a creep ask him about the Jake brake. He finally stopped which gave me the opportunity to ask him. Turns out he has a BD exhaust brake. His particular setup bolts directly to the turbo exhaust housing and then his down pipe to the exhaust brake housing. The Jake brake is operated by a switch in the cab.

I was amazed it was so neat.

So. I think I am gonna save my penny's and work some overtime and Jake brake the jeep.... Now I do tow a trailer with my jeep so it's will be functional as well as pure bad a s s ness .

What do you guys think..?

Unread 08-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #474
Cavasar
No Longer DD

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds pretty cool to me!
Unread 08-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #475
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have thought about doing the same to mine eventually just for kicks, but I already chirp the tires downshifting in the thing, I feel like a jake brake would almost be like slamming on the brakes haha.

Right now I am more concerned about an electric cutout, so if I am cruising with no top or doors the noise does not get annoying, and I can flip a switch and go to a straight pipe blowing black smoke out the side when I want to have some fun.

Glad you figured put your power steering issue! I don't have that vacuum pump, so hopefully I never have that problem!

Ask me about my 4BT Cummins Motor Mounts!!
youngjeeper11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #476
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeeper11 View Post
I have thought about doing the same to mine eventually just for kicks, but I already chirp the tires downshifting in the thing, I feel like a jake brake would almost be like slamming on the brakes haha.

Right now I am more concerned about an electric cutout, so if I am cruising with no top or doors the noise does not get annoying, and I can flip a switch and go to a straight pipe blowing black smoke out the side when I want to have some fun.

Glad you figured put your power steering issue! I don't have that vacuum pump, so hopefully I never have that problem!
Dude you read my mind. I've been thinking about a way to set one of those cut outs up.. And have it exit right by the passenger side door.

OP, its funny you posted this because not too long ago I was on YouTube, wandering through Cummins videos, came across a Jake brake install vid which created 200 braking HP and I remember wondering if anyone ever had the idea to put one on a 4bt Jeep.
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:55 PM   #477
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have thought a lot about a dump valve as an exhaust brake on mine as I live in the rockies and my little diesel has almost no engine braking power on it's own when towing down a pass.

That and how bad *** would it be to have an exhaust brake on a diesel wrangler?!

Only thing holding me back is my lack of confidence that my TDI would like the back pressure... but no doubt your 4bts would take it!

I would love to see someone do it!
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #478
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys. Jeep steering has never felt so smooth. Actually I have to get used to driving it all over again because it steers so easy.

I went ahead a bought a Rustys off-road heavy duty off set steering drag link and tie rod. 1.5 solid bars with drilled and threaded rod ends. Just got it yesterday. Biotch is heavy duty. Really impressed.

So you may be asking why I orders the tie rod and drag link. Well simply put. I broke mine in HALF. The jeep is still stuck about a mile off the road at my buddies land with my trailer attached.

We were making new trails , so we were running over smaller trees. Nothing crazy. Until I feel to peer pressure and said to my buddy who was taunting me " this thing has a Cummins it will crush that tree"

Well not only did I crush the tree, I also crushed my tie rod and dang it my turn signal not he driver side. I soon realized the damage when I couldn't turn and the drivers side tire was hard to the right while the passenger side tire was hard left.

My buddy laughed until we realized we had to carry everything out which we packed in the jeep for clearing trails. .

Sunday I am gonna pack up my tools and take a hike. Gonna try to borrow his neighbors quad and trailer to get back there. .

Unread 10-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #479
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

How's everything running with Oscar and that Rusty's off-road steering kit?

Also, I've got another question for you: In regards to your fuel filler neck, what did you do to address the different size nozzles between gas and diesel?
Unread 10-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #480
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

^^^ second that, I have been using a damn funnel......

Ask me about my 4BT Cummins Motor Mounts!!
youngjeeper11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4bt , cummins , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.