Oscar the TJ gets a CUMMINS - Page 31 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Oscar the TJ gets a CUMMINS

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #451
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

After fighting with the vacuum and power steering pump I finally got it off. For those of you with this same setup, how much do you hate that stinking oil feed line to the vacuum pump.

That little booger is hard to get to. A midget with fairy hands wouldn't be able to get in there easily.

So the ps pump does not turn as easy as I thought I remember it turning and the return line had two VERY minor dents but does look like the return line was pushed against the ps housing.

So off to NAPA in the am.

"Look no further than yourself, for all of the good and all of the evil that exist in this world, resides in the heart of man and his propensity to use it".
10-3-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #452
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Okay guys I need some advice!!

I have replaced the pump,the gear box and blew out the lines. I still don't have any ps

What am I missing. I have checked the pump. Its pumping great.

How long would a ps pump take the bleed all the air out?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

"Look no further than yourself, for all of the good and all of the evil that exist in this world, resides in the heart of man and his propensity to use it".
Unread 07-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #453
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

wierd.....

How do you know the pump is pumping? Do you still have good vacuum at the vacuum pump as well? The only thing I can think of is that you stripped the gear that turns the vacuum pump/ps pump? Maybe your Killer Dowel Pin let loose and fell into the gear?Maybe?

Is it possible something is binding in your steering linkage to make it seem like you dont have PS?

Just throwing ideas out there....

Ask me about my 4BT Cummins Motor Mounts!!
youngjeeper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #454
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Youngjeeper

So I checked the vacuum gears and made sure the shaft which connects the vacuum to the ps pump is operational.

I can't figure out why I still don't have power steering. Does anyone know what the pressure at the pump should be. I have heard that a gauge can be put on the back of the pump.

The only thing I haven't replaced is the hoses and I am going to do that to rule them out.

I have heard of hoses collapsing which even under compressed air blows through fine, but fluid is restricted.

I dunno guys I am starting to get discouraged.

Unread 07-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #455
Vonguido
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Upgrade to hydro assist steering? What size tires are you running now?
Vonguido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #456
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-3-TJ View Post
Youngjeeper

So I checked the vacuum gears and made sure the shaft which connects the vacuum to the ps pump is operational.

I can't figure out why I still don't have power steering. Does anyone know what the pressure at the pump should be. I have heard that a gauge can be put on the back of the pump.

The only thing I haven't replaced is the hoses and I am going to do that to rule them out.

I have heard of hoses collapsing which even under compressed air blows through fine, but fluid is restricted.

I dunno guys I am starting to get discouraged.
I wish I could provide some better input, but don't give up. There's a solution to every problem, especially when it comes to stuff like this!
ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #457
papitt
1995 ZJ 

I'm going to say go to 4btswaps.com .. lots of information over there. They really helped me when I was doing mine. There is a section there called cummins tech section. that where I'd go.
Have you had steering and just lost it or had you never had steering yet. When I pump P/S on my Bronco it was still gas. Mine worked a day or 2 & then I got something in a pressure valve . after getting it cleaned all was fine. That pressure valve on mine was the big nut that the hose screws into. Mine has a Saginaw pump. I found out later that valve is different in different cars & truck that us the sag.
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #458
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the suggestions. I am currently searching 4btswaps.com now. Tomorrow I am going to change the lines.

The more I think about it I wish I would have started there, but how many times has anyone on here had ps go out and go straight to the pump and that fixes it.

Unfortunately Oscar is so dang loud there would be ZERO chance of hearing a pump go bad.

I have searched on here about hydrolic assist on the steering but I also read how the assist can actually make the steering a little sketchy for on road driving. And since I drive on the highway a lot, I will Prolly sway away from doing that. Unless I can be convinced otherwise.

Unread 07-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #459
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

It is a pretty simple system, and you will have replaced all the components in that system, so I have no idea why it would not be working, if the hose does not do it, I think your jeep has a curse haha.

Ask me about my 4BT Cummins Motor Mounts!!
youngjeeper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #460
papitt
1995 ZJ 

... Funny you said the Cummins is so Loud .. Same here as my cooling fan has retired.. But 1st you have the Motor noise & then I have my lift pump mounted to the frame..3RD noise in mine is the cooling fan.
.. Winter I don't need the cooling fan but summer time I do need it. And I plan on a use of it that I'll need it for several hours at idle ..
.. Hope you get your P/S going.
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #461
USMCHarleyJeepG
2003 TJ Wrangler 

nice build man
USMCHarleyJeepG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #462
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Check the pump, is it similar to a cherokee?

I <3 rockrash
Unread 08-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #463
ksilovich
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-3-TJ View Post
I have searched on here about hydrolic assist on the steering but I also read how the assist can actually make the steering a little sketchy for on road driving. And since I drive on the highway a lot, I will Prolly sway away from doing that. Unless I can be convinced otherwise.
Nothing wrong with hydro assist on the road. It practically acts as a really great steering stabilizer. I run my hydro assist on the highway and country roads doing 70 turning 40" of rubber.

Are you sure your not looking at full hydro set ups on the highway? Cause personally I wouldnt do that, but I know guys that do.
Unread 08-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #464
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Okay fellas

We need to put on our thinking caps.

After replacing everything in the power steering and still no p/s I figured the pump must be at fault. Removed and installed a new p/s pump. Again no power steering even after bleeding.

I am starting to think there may be a issue where the p/s pump connects to the vacuum pump. I checked the vacuum pump when the engine was running and it had enough vacuum to hold the hose to my finger. I also have enough vacuum to run the HVAC controls and brake booster.

Guys I am stumped and this has to get fixed. If I had a stick of dynamite I would blow that sucker up.

Unread 08-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #465
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I think I am making headway.

Today I replaced the new gearbox with another gearbox. The jeep ran for an hour and fifteen minutes while I continued to turn the wheel. Even after that amount of time I was still getting a good amount of air out of the system.

I checked for leaks and have none. So I am assuming the air is coming from within the system.

So tomorrow I will continue with bleeding the steering and see what happens. The steering has gotten much much easier. I haven't yet put the front end down on the ground, figured I would wait until I was satisfied that the system was bleed.

Tags
4bt , cummins , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.