Oscar the TJ gets a CUMMINS - Page 30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Oscar the TJ gets a CUMMINS

Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREEThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #436
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Propjockey,

Thanks man.. you will love your jeep in a whole new way. There is nothing better than diesel fumes, turbo whistle and the raw torque and knowing you did it yourself..

I so badly want to get an old 12vavle cummins and put it in a 70's ford 4x4.

"Look no further than yourself, for all of the good and all of the evil that exist in this world, resides in the heart of man and his propensity to use it".
10-3-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #437
propjockey2002
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-3-TJ View Post
Propjockey,

Thanks man.. you will love your jeep in a whole new way. There is nothing better than diesel fumes, turbo whistle and the raw torque and knowing you did it yourself..

I so badly want to get an old 12vavle cummins and put it in a 70's ford 4x4.
I'm really interested in what your mpg turns out to be. The initial numbers sounded great.
propjockey2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #438
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Propjockey

I do believe that I can get a few more mpg when I go to larger tires. I am thinking 35 or 37 which will lower the Rpms quite a bit. Which will make freeway driving better. I have read that the Cummins like to hang around 1800 Rpm on the freeway.

As you guys already know I am running a front Dana 30 . If I run the synergy heavy duty ball joints and maybe add a truss so you think it would be reliable with 37s?

"Look no further than yourself, for all of the good and all of the evil that exist in this world, resides in the heart of man and his propensity to use it".
Unread 07-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #439
propjockey2002
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Propjockey

I do believe that I can get a few more mpg when I go to larger tires. I am thinking 35 or 37 which will lower the Rpms quite a bit. Which will make freeway driving better. I have read that the Cummins like to hang around 1800 Rpm on the freeway.

As you guys already know I am running a front Dana 30 . If I run the synergy heavy duty ball joints and maybe add a truss so you think it would be reliable with 37s?
Beautiful! Keep me posted. On 60'a it shouldn't be a problem.
Unread 07-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #440
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-3-TJ
Propjockey

Be smart and yes it will.
But sleeve it truss it an gusset the cs

I <3 rockrash
Unread 07-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #441
propjockey2002
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post

Be smart and yes it will.
But sleeve it truss it an gusset the cs

I <3 rockrash
I'm sorry. I read Dana 60.
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #442
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

for wheeling 37s, you'd be pushing your luck on that 30. Even with upgraded shafts and u joints, does that not make your ring gear one of the weak spots? FWIW, I know for YJ types the HP D44 out of a '77-79 f250 is a common upgrade. Guys who aren't going full width get the tubes cut to waggy width and use those size shafts. Maybe something worth looking into, as far as adding spring buckets etc.
just throwing it out there

ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #443
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Power steering nightmare

Currently had to drive Oscar 37.6 miles through country roads with no power steering.

No idea what happen. It just stopped working directly after running over a decently large bush while wheeling on my buddies land.

No pinched lines or hoses, plenty of fluid. Just stopped working

Any ideas boys? I haven't looked into what a new runs.

Unread 07-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #444
propjockey2002
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Did you maybe break a gear inside the box?
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #445
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's a newer box maybe three years old.

I don't know if I broke a gear it's a possibility! ?!?!

Though I am assuming that if a gear was broken I wouldn't be able to steer it. I can steer it, it's just unassisted.

I called Jeff Daniels Jeep and everyone who was familiar with my Jeep was either off or busy. I would expect them to call tomorrow.

Unread 07-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #446
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like a seal or something broke, either in the box or the pump.

I cant not think of an easy way to test the pressure coming out of the pump, maybe pop off the low pressure hose and see if anything is pumping out?

Ask me about my 4BT Cummins Motor Mounts!!
youngjeeper11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #447
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Youngjeeper..

That's a really good idea, I was trying to think of some stupid way to put a gauge on the high pressure side. But your suggestion seems much easier.

I found a new pump from NAPA for 57 dollars. I am gonna pull the low side tonight and see if it's doing anything.

When the pump stopped my front axle was locked and I was turning. Is there any evidence that locked axles make the life expectancy shorter on power steering pumps

Bad part is the power steering pump is a complete pain in the A S S to remove. The vacuum pump has to come out to, and that's a real treat.

Remember about a week ago when I said if you do this swap be ready to wrench all the time!! Well here we go again.

Now maybe my experience is different because I drive long distance on roads and freeways, pull a 3500 pound trailer every week and drive on un improved roads. But. ..I TOLD YOU SO.

or it could be because I am not a mechanic. .

Unread 07-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #448
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well,

I am not really sure what to conclude if fluid pours out, but if nothing is coming out, well, I am still not sure what to conclude then either, just that there is a problem haha

Ask me about my 4BT Cummins Motor Mounts!!
youngjeeper11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #449
papitt
1995 ZJ 

If my memory serve me correct from Back when I worked at the Dodge stealership about 7 years ago os so . I believe the power steering pump Looks about like a Love Joy connection and one side breaks off. Nothing on a Cummins every breaks regular so If you see a problem about 3 time . You most likely won't see that again.
.. Except for the new 24 valve Ditry Fuel trucks. Any truck above 2003. really .
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #450
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Pappit

I am gonna pull the pump right now and see what's up! If I have to fix everything 3 times I may have a jeep for sale.! !!

Guys thanks for the advise I will try to post pics as I go

Tags
4bt , cummins , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.