Oscar the TJ gets a CUMMINS - Page 29 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Oscar the TJ gets a CUMMINS

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 06-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #421
93civEJ1

Great build!! What did you end up doing for your final suspension for springs and axles? Still the same?

93civEJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #422
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I am running a Ford 8.8 in the rear and high pinion Dana 30 in the front.

As far as springs go I am going to change the fronts to Old Man Emu heavy duty 2 inch springs, and maybe, maybe. But I am not sold on adjustable coil spacer from Jks. By the price Jks is sure proud of them.

The long arms will be rough country long arm upgrades.

So far the jeep has done fabulous. I did have to be towed home about a month ago due to a clutch hydro line blowing out of my master cylinder. The line was held in by a roll pin and I have no idea why it blew out. So I replaced the rubber seal and both role pins.

"Look no further than yourself, for all of the good and all of the evil that exist in this world, resides in the heart of man and his propensity to use it".
10-3-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #423
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well I tried to post pics but the mobile app keeps crashing.. and then tells me the file is over 150. Kb

"Look no further than yourself, for all of the good and all of the evil that exist in this world, resides in the heart of man and his propensity to use it".
Unread 07-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #424
jeepn4life92
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So how do you like the 4.10's with the 33s? It seems like it'd be a bit too deep for the 4bt. You mentioned that yiur max speed was 74 mph when you get the engine up around 2400, but whats a good cruising rpm for the engine? That would be my only concern with doing this swap...highway speed around me is usually 80 mph and the folks in the right lane are usually going 65-70, I wouldnt wanna be cruising that close to the max rpm for all the highway driving i do, lol
Unread 07-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #425
papitt
1995 ZJ 

You said you had to be towed home due to the roll pins. After all my clutch problems that ORing kept blowing . Well finally I figured mine out the lip that held the roll pin had a crack in it . So I replace my Slave and got a new line replace the ORING .. No more problems to date. I Could not see that crack but I was sure glad to fine it.
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #426
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Jeepn4life

The gearing and tire size BLOW for highway driving. I feel like a am driving a bigrig for the first 3 gears. First through third is very short. I usually start in second.

Highway speed isn't bad. I usually keep it right at 65 mph which equates to 2100 rpm. Governor spring is a 2700 spring but chops it at 2400. The engine runs awesome there and I personally wouldn't hesitate to let it run there. Jeff Daniels who I bought the motor from told me he regularly runs his engines at the governor.

I have only done that a few times and it doesn't sound like it's going blow up, it sounds and feels smoothest there.

I plan to bump the tire size to 37 when my 33 go bad. That will help with highway speed.

Unread 07-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #427
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Pappit

Yes that same little booger got me... I was so disappointed. My slave cylinder is now weaping from the pressure so I have to tear into it.

Caution to anyone preparing to do the swap. Be prepared to always wrench on your rig.. I am constantly tightening adjusting and tweaking. Its great and I enjoy it. But it can be a pain in the ***.

Currently I am getting 30 mpg if I drive it like a gentleman. If I drive it like a teenager I get 26 mpg. Usually I drive it like I stole it.

Unread 07-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #428
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-3-TJ View Post
Pappit

Yes that same little booger got me... I was so disappointed. My slave cylinder is now weaping from the pressure so I have to tear into it.

Caution to anyone preparing to do the swap. Be prepared to always wrench on your rig.. I am constantly tightening adjusting and tweaking. Its great and I enjoy it. But it can be a pain in the ***.

Currently I am getting 30 mpg if I drive it like a gentleman. If I drive it like a teenager I get 26 mpg. Usually I drive it like I stole it.
Are you constantly having to wrench and tighten because it's being vibrated loose or what?
ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #429
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-3-TJ
Pappit

Rolling coal everywhere because you can! I would do the same thing
crockett07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #430
papitt
1995 ZJ 

10-03-TJ .. Now I'm not using mine like you are yours but ..I feel I never have to work on mine. Now I'm a farmer and mine is here on the place 98% of the time . My Fuel mileage is only about 15 .. Mine idles most of it's life with me because when I have nailed mine I'VE broken U-JOINTS & one axle.
.. So Since I'm 63 it doesn't take as many Jack Rabbit starts as it used to . And I can really boil up the black smoke from the exhaust rather than the tires..
Unread 07-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #431
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Its funny because I pre flight this thing like an airplane. . Once a week on my Saturday mornings I have a pattern of bolts which I check. Most are body mounts, engine mounts and clutch bracket. I have used blue and red lock tight and it holds on everything but the aforementioned. No idea why these particular bolts loosen but they sure do.

I attribute it to the vibration from the engine. I may be looking into different motor mounts but HATE the idea of pulling it all back apart.

I have my bolt sequence down to about 15 minutes, so it's not terrible

Unread 07-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #432
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Papitt.
Do you have an exhaust temp gauge? Normal driving without towing I run right around 800-900 degrees unless I am leaving a smog trail then it's jumps a bit to 1000.

Now when I tow my trailer my temps jump to 1000 cruise and 1100-1200 when passing or up long hills.

I don't know what's bad so I try to keep them as low as possible.

Anyone know what's safe or what's the danger zone?

Unread 07-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #433
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-3-TJ
Papitt.
Do you have an exhaust temp gauge? Normal driving without towing I run right around 800-900 degrees unless I am leaving a smog trail then it's jumps a bit to 1000.

Now when I tow my trailer my temps jump to 1000 cruise and 1100-1200 when passing or up long hills.

I don't know what's bad so I try to keep them as low as possible.

Anyone know what's safe or what's the danger zone?
Over 1300 is very very bad.

I <3 rockrash
Luke95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #434
papitt
1995 ZJ 

No I'm not running any gauges .. Oil... Water temp.. & Volts. I have a Tack but what's the point if it won't go over 23 or 2400 RPM's . It's a Stewart Warner new . needs a sensor . But I don't know how to hook it up.
.. I do really have plans to install it .
Unread 07-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #435
propjockey2002
2003 TJ Wrangler 

This build is awesome. Took me 2 days to get through it. I have a 4bt in the future.
propjockey2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4bt , cummins , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.