Oscar the TJ gets a CUMMINS - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Oscar the TJ gets a CUMMINS

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #181
CumminsYj88
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What size fuel line are you running?

CumminsYj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #182
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The feed line remains the exact same . When i did the fuel lines all i had to do was run a 5/16return fuel line. Everything else inxluding the stock pump is left in place and will be used.

"Look no further than yourself, for all of the good and all of the evil that exist in this world, resides in the heart of man and his propensity to use it".
10-3-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #183
papitt
1995 ZJ 

I too used the stock steel line . I did replace the rubber sections and had my fuel tank steamed out . Then I put in a pt of 2cycle motor oil and a qt of trans fluid then put in about 10 gallons of fuel . Then I ran my lift pump about 3 night pushing the fuel up to the injection . I added a inline filter before my injection pump an the stock BT filter and I also added another filter in the return line. I took these 2 filters out after I had cycled my fuel through the system..
... I dought these step were necessary but it made me feel good.. My motor had set for about 2 years and I thought it would be hard to start. But it started on about the 5 turn. I was shocked .. I've wondered if all that cycling of the fuel through the system may have prime the pump for me.
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #184
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Pappit ,

Thats a great idea about cycling the intanj pump. I had thoughts of doing the same. I am looking forward to tomorrow i have the entire day off and plan on crushing the to do list.

Its getting close to being ready to start.

"Look no further than yourself, for all of the good and all of the evil that exist in this world, resides in the heart of man and his propensity to use it".
Unread 09-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #185
TexasYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

10-3-TJ,

Really enjoying your build thread and I am seriously considering a 4BT swap as well......further down the road, a swap from four angry squirrels to 4 oily squirrels. I have a question, is the in tank pump compatible with diesel fuel use? I have read a couple of other threads, non JF, where there appears to be issues/failures using the stock gasoline in tank pump in a diesel fuel application, as the stock in tank pump is not really compatible with diesel fuel.
TexasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #186
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Little off topic but i was at work when i saw this fellow jeeper who had been shrink wrapped. Funny stuff.

The shrink wrap bandits even got the entire undercarriage. Hope this person removes the plastic from things which get hot

forumrunner_20120902_185147.jpg

Unread 09-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #187
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Texasyj

You bring up a great point. Before starting this great adventure i was reassurred by Dan from jeff daniels that there would be not problems . His explaination was that diesel has more of a lubrication factor to it than gas.

While i have also read other forums where fuel pumps have failed presumably from diesel i am not certain there is a connection and maybe a coincident . At any rate i no joke just replaced my tj pump last year. I spent big money on an oe Bosch pump.

So if mine fails shortly after sucking diesel we will truly know. I also see the argument that diesel is killibg the pumps. Guess i am thinking that both agruments make sense.

We shall see!

Unread 09-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #188
TexasYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-3-TJ View Post
Texasyj

So if mine fails shortly after sucking diesel we will truly know. I also see the argument that diesel is killibg the pumps. Guess i am thinking that both agruments make sense.

We shall see!
It seems like, from what I have read, they were seeing failures in somewhere between six months to a year.....

The only reason I asked was I could see a material incompatibility issue with pumps used for gasoline vs. those used for diesel fuel applications. Not totally related, but similar issues involving diesel systems using bio-diesel applications, primarily related to o-rings and rubber hoses. Just thought I would put it out there.

Look forward to following the rest of this build.
Unread 09-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #189
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

TexasYj..

You make complete sense. I could see where the stock gasoline fuel pump would encounter issues while pumping diesel. After all it was designed to pump gasoline.

Pappit have you had any issues with your stock pump?

Unread 09-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #190
TexasYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am assuming here, but does your 4BT not have the mechanical lift pump and if so, what reason is there for the addition of tank pump?
Unread 09-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #191
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

TexasYj.

The engine does have the mechanical lift pump. Basically what it boiled down to was i didnt want to remove the tank and drill a hole in a brand new fuel pump to make room for the new feed line. I have installed a check vavle which will open once the lift pump sees pressure drom the tj pump. The excess diesel will be returned to the tank. Basically re circulating the fuel.

Unread 09-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #192
TexasYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Got, it. Just curious if there was another reason.

Back to the updates......
Unread 09-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #193
papitt
1995 ZJ 

hEY OSCAR .. I may be a little late with this info but maybe some info you can use.. I was just over on the 4BTSWAPS.COM and here a post from a fellow member there that did your swap sometime back.. Hopefully I can post up a link to his build post. http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...d-a-4bt-diesel........
... Looky there I'm getting handy as Pockets on a shirt......
Unread 09-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #194
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Okay guys its been a minute since my last post but work has been stupid busy and have ben working a lot of overtime.. The progress I have made recently is. I think. fingers crossed that I have finished my wiring. It was stressful as hell cutting into a perfectly good wiring harness. I have been reading a lot of forum posts on 4BTSWAPS.com about the wiring and I am confident.

I also went and bought the remainder of my clamps, exhaust tubing for my exhaust and oil return line. I feel a start up coming in the VERY near future. my goal is to have the Jeep running by Tuesday night. Thanks to everyone for being patient with me as this project has slowed in progress recently..

Hey pappit I wasnt able to open that link. It told me something about that page doesnt exist anymore.

Unread 09-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #195
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Hey one thing to think of when you turn the switch to either just roll it over or try to start it up.
This happened to me.. I had not water hooked up so mine didn't need to start . I was just going to roll it over to see if I had oil pressure .. Well about the 5th roll it fired up on its own .. It would not kill with the key switch .. I really had no ideal how to kill it but the Kid '' SKITTER JOE'' He knew to reach over to the injection pump an pull the hot wire off it..
... So be prepared for the back side of what can happen upon fire up.
... You might even have a flat piece of wood handy just in case you had a run away.. You block the inlet of your turbo with a block of wood so the air will be cut off ..

Tags
4bt , cummins , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.