Oscar the TJ gets a CUMMINS - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Oscar the TJ gets a CUMMINS

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #166
lucious
1992 YJ Wrangler 

haha. nice. props

lucious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #167
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I love it!
Unread 08-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #168
lobi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

WOW i want one in mine
lobi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #169
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-3-TJ
As to the price of this project. Lets just say i opened a can of worms that i cant close now. Have to see it to the end.
I hear that... My swap quickly grew more and more expensive... But once you have a diesel mounted in your jeep... There is no turning back. Once you drive it a bit... It will quickly make you forget how much you spent!

Looking forward to seeing the slave adaptation!

I have had the plan to route my intake into the cowl... But haven't found a filter option I really like for this. Can't wait to see what route you go!
Unread 08-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #170
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Can't wait to see this done. I'd like to say you were the nail in the coffin for me. I had thrown the idea around of finding a 4BT. After seeing your thread I actually went out and got one!

Jered
Bojon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #171
Deanfly64
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Subbed, for the finale.
Deanfly64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #172
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well yesterday i worked on the jeep ALL day long.

The jeep project has reached that point which every build reaches. The two steps forward one step back..

Lets start with the steps forward.

I finished securing and reinforcing the ac mount.

forumrunner_20120830_000948.jpg

forumrunner_20120830_001004.jpg

The first picture i am showing the three spacers. The second pic shows how i used 1/8 plate and covered and connected the spacers.

Then moved onto the finishing touches of the fuel lines.

forumrunner_20120830_001258.jpg

The line is a 5/16 line which runs all the way to the filler vent tube and is connected so that return fuel will basically recirculate back to the tank. Not pictured because its burried under the jeep is a check valve so that no air can enter the fuel lines via the new return line.

Then moved onto finishing up the boost air from the turbo to the engine. That was fairly simple just measure, cut and weld . I also shortened the turbo side of the intake in order for the coolant line not to interfere.

forumrunner_20120830_001742.jpg

forumrunner_20120830_001759.jpg

Then moved onto the cps . I got the sensor wires cur and stripped. So i got the old solder iron out and i had no sotter. Who uses all the sotter and just puts it away. Ohh thats right. This guy does.

"Look no further than yourself, for all of the good and all of the evil that exist in this world, resides in the heart of man and his propensity to use it".
10-3-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #173
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Now the steps backward...

So i have to admit i didnt take many pictures of my backward steps. Although i can explain them clearly

First. I decided that i better check my hood clearance since i have been convinced the hood would latch.

So on went the gril and supports and the hood. I actually got really excited at this point because it looked soo good and all most done. I went to lower the hood and thats when the hood stoppes about 3 3/4 inches from the gril . The turbo, boost pipe and oil pressure feed line are holding the hood up.

So for those of you who thought i was crazy when i said the hood will shut. YOU WERE RIGHT I WAS WRONG.

So i have began the hunt for a weld on hood scoop. Jegs and summit racing have one which i will post a pic of.

Myself and Dan from Jeff Daniels are working on a differnt type of slave cylinder. We are designing a pulling slave cylinder setup. I have tons of room behind the clutch fork and trying ti work somthing that way. Although i havent ruled out using the orignal slave cylinder which pushes .

Then on to my biggest delima. I need your guys opinions . I cant seem ti figure out what i am going to do about the interferences between the upper control arms and my motor mounts. I used my jack tonight and jacked the jeep up as far as my jack would go. My tire was maybe 2 1/2 feet off the ground and maybe 4 --6 inches before my bump stops hit.

Here is the pic of the upper driver side arm.

forumrunner_20120830_003432.jpg

As you can see its nasty close. I am currently considering a long arm as the radius arms will not hit the mounts..

I appreciate all the motivational comments everyone has made and look forward to everyones suggestions.

"Look no further than yourself, for all of the good and all of the evil that exist in this world, resides in the heart of man and his propensity to use it".
Unread 08-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #174
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

BOJON

You have start a thread. I would love to see other peoples ideas.

Congrats on pulling the trigger on the Cummins.

I almost started the engine the other day but whimped out because i will be honest i dont know how to turn it off. Nothing is wired and i was just gonna put a battery to the starter and let the smoke roll until it ran out of diesel. But the i remebered that running diesels out of fuel isnt a great idea.

So instead i got on youtube and enjoyed everyone elses cummins tunes

Unread 08-30-2012, 12:47 AM   #175
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well... hood scoop is an easy fix... I almost did it to mine.

As far as the mount/control arm goes....

I know that upper is short... but could you make a custom shaped link to work within the clearances?

Radius arms... easy but not cheap solution. You'll love the long arm if you wheel much though

you could 3 link it?

Do you need the travel? Could you just bump stop it appropriately? I don't know what your intended use for the jeep is... do you need that up-travel?

Lift it to gain more clearance?
Unread 08-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #176
CumminsYj88
1988 YJ Wrangler 

CumminsYj88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #177
CumminsYj88
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hood scoop sounds like your only bet.unless you got a different manifold to lower turbo..you would have to come up with a new intake idea but it may be worth it..and if you lower your turbo you could throw an intercooler on it,so it all goes around the engine instead of over top.you would have plenty of room if you went with an intercooler.plus if you had to put your air filter out side of the cowl.maybe the cooler would do just as good as the cold air intake.

I don't have much of an idea for your arms.if you don't need a lot of travel,might not be a big deal if your just doing mild off roading and street driving,although a long ARM would be a great upgrade,I guess it just all depends on how much time and money you want to spend.
CumminsYj88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #178
ksilovich
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-3-TJ View Post

So for those of you who thought i was crazy when i said the hood will shut. YOU WERE RIGHT I WAS WRONG.

Check out this hood scoop.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-471520/
This guy has a 4bt also, and it is where I got my inspiration from. He only lives like 30mins from me.

If you dont want to do a hood scoop. I would say your best bet is to use a slanted intake manifold similar to mine. I not sure how it would change your exhaust tho. Like cumminsyj88 said you would be able to add an intercooler to is also.
I threw on in my grill but I know my friend has a cummins 3.3 and he used one off a Volvo. Ill have to post a photo of my cooler lines when I am done. but here is my friends 3.3 lines. There a little blurrly but you get the point.

And this is my others friends 3.3 cummins.

maybe some of this will help, if not i tryed
Unread 08-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #179
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-3-TJ View Post
BOJON

You have start a thread. I would love to see other peoples ideas.

Congrats on pulling the trigger on the Cummins.

I almost started the engine the other day but whimped out because i will be honest i dont know how to turn it off. Nothing is wired and i was just gonna put a battery to the starter and let the smoke roll until it ran out of diesel. But the i remebered that running diesels out of fuel isnt a great idea.

So instead i got on youtube and enjoyed everyone elses cummins tunes
I've got a build thread in my sig, ground up, it will be a while before anything gets fired up.

There should be one wire on the fuel pump that you need to supply 12v to for it to run. Then when you want to kill it you just cut the power to that switch.

Jered
Bojon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #180
robphillips00
2009 JK Wrangler 

If your going to have to put a hood scoop on it, why not consider raising the motor mounts?
robphillips00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4bt , cummins , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.